Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Hummer EV

Old 11-18-2022, 12:04 PM

Received 404 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
Pretty sure Semi drivers have to get a different license and have some training.
What about 3/4 ton and 1 ton truck drivers? Those trucks weigh 8,000-9,000lbs easily. Should they get a different license and training too? What about "fast" sports cars?
Old 11-18-2022, 12:08 PM
Site Moderator

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,918 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
What about 3/4 ton and 1 ton truck drivers? Those trucks weigh 8,000-9,000lbs easily. Should they get a different license and training too? What about "fast" sports cars?
Lol, don't get annoyed your semi analogy didn't work.
The following users liked this post:
QUIKAG (11-20-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 03:09 PM

Received 491 Likes on 375 Posts

Yes, and yes, absolutely. I took an M1 class to get my motorcycle license, I was glad to do it. I get nervous seeing more kids driving around in P100Ds and Rimacs around here, we can't simply say well we didn't have that growing up, they'll be fine. Having a car that hit 10s was unheard of for most of our lives, let alone from anything that a rich kid could ask their parents to buy them. You don't even need to get a Model S, a Model 3 Performance will hit 60 in 3 seconds and costs as much as an M3. There was nothing in our day that was nearly that fast, the halo cars hit 60 in the 5s, rental Mustangs are that fast now, lol.

As cars got safer for the driver, they've become increasingly dangerous to others. When I drive past the DMV and see the cars lined up for the tests, all I see are cars, small ones at that, then I turn around and all I see are CUVs and SUVs.

Also, the 2023 Chevrolet Suburban weighs 6000lbs, I had to look at it up because I thought they weighed around 7000 so when you said 8-9 I was like wtf are they really up there now, no way could an EV of the size weigh as much as an ICE version, that battery has got to be ginormous.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheDonEffect:
Mr.E.G. (11-22-2022), QUIKAG (11-20-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 08:16 PM

Received 383 Likes on 285 Posts

Yes to all. You want a 6000, 7000+ lb vehicle to drive, and large to boot, insurance or TX law should require a higher level license. Same for “fast” sports cars because like Don said, I sure had to get training, schooling, etc, to get a motorcycle license in TX. I’d be the first one signing up for extra licensing and training. Have you driven around the metro lately? Idiots surfing smart phones driving Escalades, Suburbans, 3/4 tons. I want a law passed where the poh-lice have vehicle mounted cameras and if they catch you with that phone in your hand, instant arrest, as distracted driving is as bad, or worse, than drunk driving so the penalty should be the same. Throw in large and heavy vehicles and it’s got disaster all over it.

Semi drivers have to have a commercial driving license and all that shit is pretty heavily regulated and enforced. There should be an in between for large and heavy vehicles. People are stupid and unless someone polices them or regulates on them society just continues to go into the gutter.
The following users liked this post:
QUIKAG (11-20-2022)
Old 11-21-2022, 04:43 AM

It's a slippery slope on mandating additional training for different classes of vehicles (besides heavy commercial vehicles that are generally specifically associated with employment). Additionally, it could (and would) be accused of being elitist as it's not "fair" to those who don't have the time or money to get the additional training and licensing.

It's a dangerous world out there and I agree there are a lot of jacka**es driving huge trucks and those same people will be driving 9,000lb Hummers that can hit 60mph in just over 3 seconds and some of them are going to cause crashes and potentially hurt/kill people. That is not cool, but you can't legislate out stupidity. It just won't work as stupider people are being born every day.
The following 2 users liked this post by QUIKAG:
Mr.E.G. (11-22-2022), ssbfgc (11-21-2022)
Old 11-21-2022, 06:52 AM

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts

On the commercial license thing, there are just not enough of these drivers to cover all the work

I received a glancing blow to my LC 500 convertible a few months ago from an 18 wheeler

We had both been stopped at a red light, I was in the right lane and started to make a right turn and she was in the center lane, going straight

She cut it too close and nicked my rear bumper on the driver side and the got my driver side rear wheel

When the cop came she didn't even know what paperwork to give the guy

I had to provide a picture of her front license plate to the cop so he could complete his report

She didn't know what street she was on (she had just delivered to a Target store (i.e. a routing delivery for her) and that she didn't see me

It was so cut and dry that my insurance company said they were working on getting my deductible back to me

Ok back to the Hummer video, the partner Yuston Pizza Crust recently did a video where they used a flame thrower on the hood of a Huracan STO (hood was damaged before he bought the vehicle) Actually looks like a cool project, he has a 2000+ HP motor he plans to transplant into the car
Old 11-21-2022, 09:34 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

I'm fine with not restricting licenses, i guess for the reasons QUIKAG posted above. But if we can't do that, allow us to sue the piss out of those negligent assholes.
Old 11-21-2022, 01:26 PM

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts

After I got "hit" by the 18 wheeler I received a bunch of texts and calls from folks who wanted to help me (i.e. sue the trucking company) so plenty of that already going on
Old 11-21-2022, 01:29 PM

Received 383 Likes on 285 Posts

It's a slippery slope on mandating additional training for different classes of vehicles (besides heavy commercial vehicles that are generally specifically associated with employment). Additionally, it could (and would) be accused of being elitist as it's not "fair" to those who don't have the time or money to get the additional training and licensing.

It's a dangerous world out there and I agree there are a lot of jacka**es driving huge trucks and those same people will be driving 9,000lb Hummers that can hit 60mph in just over 3 seconds and some of them are going to cause crashes and potentially hurt/kill people. That is not cool, but you can't legislate out stupidity. It just won't work as stupider people are being born every day.
Elitist? They can afford a $75,000 full size truck or SUV but it would be elitist to require adding a tier of licensing because of size and weight? Sorry, I don’t buy that. If you can afford that kind of vehicle that you can afford to meet the additional license requirements.
Old 11-22-2022, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
Elitist? They can afford a $75,000 full size truck or SUV but it would be elitist to require adding a tier of licensing because of size and weight? Sorry, I don’t buy that. If you can afford that kind of vehicle that you can afford to meet the additional license requirements.
Again, I don't disagree in principle, but it's a very slippery slope. What is the cut-off for the truck size/weight before this special licensing? What about a "fast" sports car? Do they need a special license too?

Quick Reply: Hummer EV