Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

hydraulic adjustable suspension, no loss in perf.

Old 08-04-2004, 03:36 PM
dut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hydraulic adjustable suspension, no loss in perf.

- I just might have to look into this, if it ever comes out for other applications

"A company called Skipper out of Japan has been leading the industry in hydraulics out there for a while now. They finally introduced a product that replaces the lower spring purch on a coilover to give you full in-cab ride neight adjustment without losing ANY performance or handling. You still use your existing coilover spring and shock, this piece just replaces the lower spring purch. All the components are hydraulic and mount in the spare tire well. Here's an example of one on a GS430 coilover:"

(if this is a respost... then oops)
Old 08-04-2004, 05:05 PM

Wow, that looks cool. Wouldn't it be nice to have to have an adjustable a shock (like the Tein flex with EDFC) and an adjustable ride height system from the cockpit? I'm sure it would be expensive and add quite a bit of un-sprung weight but still a cool set up.

JeffA
Old 08-04-2004, 05:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why?!?

And it would reduce performance because of the weight of the hydraulics.

Steve
Old 08-04-2004, 06:20 PM

You always need to do a proper 4 wheel alignment when the ride height is changed even in the smallest dimensions. Camber and toe are all affected when the ride height is changed. No loss of performance? Perhaps not, but handling can change dramatically if more than half an inch is raised or dropped. This isn't an ideal product for the S2000, unless handling doesn't matter much to you.

While the Tein EDFC is quite different, constant changing of damper spring rates in car does not have such an adverse negative effect vs height change.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:34 PM

You guys have some good points and I agree that it wouldn't be ideal for handling performance. However, you could have a set height that the car is aligned properly for. The other heights would be used only as needed and for looks. You could set the car very low for slow cruising and high for rough roads and speed bumps. Then you could set it to the ideal alignment height for the twistys. The only negative is cost and weight.

JeffA
Old 08-04-2004, 08:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol... that does look like a heavy setup. But the Tien SS with EDFC is electronically controlled and I wish I didn't cancel that order. Tien is one of the nicest setups, esp. with the EDFC I heard.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:01 PM
dut

- I would rock those I do not track my car and I don't even get alignments done when I adjust my coils (if I ever do)
Old 08-04-2004, 09:02 PM
dut

[QUOTE=under-rated,Aug 4 2004, 09:55 PM]lol... that does look like a heavy setup. But the Tien SS with EDFC is electronically controlled and I wish I didn't cancel that order. Tien is one of the nicest setups, esp. with the EDFC I heard.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:36 AM

I got the Tein Flex with EDFC and I love them. No complaints here. My car stays unbelievably flat through turns, and turn in is so crisp. It makes my S feel even more like a go-cart!
Old 08-06-2004, 05:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BLING BLING baby!!! This and a set of 27's on my S2000 would be totally tits and dope even.....

laaaaaaaame.

Quick Reply: hydraulic adjustable suspension, no loss in perf.