Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Hyundai Sonata beats Camry and Accord!

Old 06-30-2008, 03:32 PM

Received 404 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Hyundai Sonata beats Camry and Accord!

My dad is looking for a good 4 banger daily driver sedan and so I've actually driven the new Accord 4 cylinder and new Sonata 4 and 6 cylinder along with the Altima, etc. Amazingly, the new '09 Sonata is a very nice car. My dad prefers it to the competition and is in negotiation with several Hyundai dealerships to negotiate a best price.

He has the dealerships to around $21k for a loaded 4 cylinder Sonata Limited with Navigation. That is a lot of car for the money. The new interior of the '09 Sonata is nicer than the Camry and 'different' than the Accord. The Accord has a pretty polarizing interior, I kind of like it, but my dad prefers the Sonata interior.

The winner of the comparison test was the Passat with the Sonata coming in second. I don't really consider the Passat the winner because it costs a whopping $7k more than the Sonata with worse reliability and gas mileage. In the 4 banger value sedan category, those are kill strokes for most buyers.

Anyway, it is not an enthusiast sedan at all, but Hyundai is putting out some pretty damn nice cars lately and this new Sonata is a huge improvement over the prior year model which was nice in it's own right.

1st: Passat
2nd: Sonata
3rd: Camry
4th: Accord
5th Fusion
Old 06-30-2008, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Way to go Hyundai!!!
Old 06-30-2008, 03:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't Car & Driver do a similar comparo of the larger-engine versions (including Altima, no Passat IIRC) and put the Accord on top? I think the Sonata still scored very well in that test too.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hyundai is indeed doing a good job, but this comparison is just one out of too many.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:11 PM

Received 493 Likes on 376 Posts

Finally people are coming around. The sonata and azera really have nice cabins especially in the leather form. I seriously thought the leather quality was going to such but was surprised, even had white stitching in the azera.
I'm not surprised that it beat the camry, but I am surprised that it edged infront of the accord. And wtf are they doing comparing it against the passat? They should be comparing that car to the TSX.
But alas, the only thing that would keep me from buying a new hyundai is the fact that the resale value will tank right after u drive it off the lot, so CFO or just straight up used would be the way I'd go.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't heard about the Passat in years and all of a sudden it beat the Camry and brand new Accord?
Old 06-30-2008, 07:34 PM

[offensive image removed]

Old 06-30-2008, 07:35 PM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts

I'm not surprised Hyundai beat Honda and Toyota, its releasing great product and putting in the effort to steal sales while the other two seem to be on cruise control (in the left lane going 5 under).

Volkswagen seems to have improved its recent quality issues, and its new cars are doing well.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:58 PM

I'm not surprised at all either. Have you driven the new sonata?
They drive really nice and feel a lot more luxurious than the accord and camry. Go test drive one. I was impressed...
Old 07-01-2008, 01:40 AM

I'd go for the new Malibu, looks much better then all the cars in its segment inside and out, and can be had for thousands less when comparably equipped.

Quick Reply: Hyundai Sonata beats Camry and Accord!