Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

I test drove a Cayman S at lunch today

Old 01-24-2014, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For some reason the older Boxsters just look a bit girly. Definitely the "miata" of the german car verts(not all bad IMO). The newer Boxsters however, are more aggressive looking, wider, and without a doubt, look better than all the previous models. Dare I say it's better looking than most all 911 verts as well. Almost Carrera GT esk' now

http://www.motorauthority.com/pictur...rive_gallery-1

Old 01-24-2014, 01:51 PM

Received 1,112 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Originally Posted by Sebring AP1' timestamp='1390420998' post='22978143
new Cayman starts at 75? I was expecting a 90k car with semi decent options at minimum.
Someone on my Jag forum got a new Boxster and that tipped just over 90K. I am sure either Cayman or Boxster can reach 100K.
You want that PDK gear selector in Alacantra? That'll be $865.00
Old 01-24-2014, 02:07 PM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by berny2435
The newer Boxsters however, are more aggressive looking, wider, and without a doubt, look better than all the previous models. Dare I say it's better looking than most all 911 verts as well. Almost Carrera GT esk' now

Without a doubt. to Porsche on that one. Can't wait to drive one.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although this really isn't that relevant to the original post, I figured I'd chime in since I recently purchased a CPO 2010 Base Cayman 6 speed. Personally, the additional warranty and lack of IMS of the 09+ base was worth it over the low mileage 07- 08 Cayman S's that were also in my price range, especially since the 09+ base models received a 20 hp bump, 6 speed manual standard, upgraded brakes to match the S, and much better standard steering wheel. With that said, especially in this chassis, I wouldn't complain if it had another 30 hp...

In terms of the S2000 vs. the Cayman, I agree with those who say the S2000 is more fun. There's a certain edginess which makes the car feel very alive; plus, the driver involvement required due to the low torque, high redline motor and the joy of working the best transmission on the planet makes it a very engaging car. I'll be honest if they had made a 2013 S2000 with an uprated version of the AP1 engine with the quicker AP1 steering rack but AP2 everything else, I might have still bought it over the Cayman. Same goes for if they ever made a BRZ STi with over 280 hp.

My experience with the Cayman has been great though. It feels special every time I drive it. While not as fun as the S2000, its nearly as responsive without the nervousness, resulting in a lot of confidence. The steering is much better than the S2000 in terms of feel, although after driving an S2000, you may find yourself wanting the steering to be a tad quicker. The brakes are much much better on the Cayman, both in terms of feel and power. The overall balance of the car is better on the Cayman as well. The transmission on the other hand is much worse, but still not too shabby relative to other cars. Power has been more than sufficient (although I wouldn't complain if I had another 30 hp) and gas mileage has been ok (roughly 21 mpg in mixed/fairly aggressive driving, but I don't drive the car everyday). It has also been surprisingly practical due to the hatch area and the front trunk, although if you need a practical car, this probably isn't your first choice anyway.

My biggest complaint is the gearing. 1st feels too short, followed by a 2nd gear that is way too tall with 3rd too tall as well. Then I can live with 4th and 5th, but then 6th is a bit short for my liking. Thanks to the "too short, too tall, too tall, ok, ok, too short" combination of gears, this isn't something that can be cured with a rear gear or rolling on smaller circumference tires either.

VERY minor complaints include the shifter being kinda notchy in the cold, a clutch that can be finicky some days, the ergonomics could be better, and my particular car not being optioned exactly the way I want it (would gladly give up the navigation for the sport seats, PASM, and Sport Chrono for the sport mode's sharper throttle and relaxed traction control). I also can't believe how little car you get for my car's original MSRP of $63,000, but I guess that's why i bought it used haha

In terms of the looks, I love it. I do like the side profile of the new Cayman better, but I honestly think my Cayman looks better from the front and the rear. I echo the opinion of others which have said that the new Boxster is gorgeous though and I would still consider the new upcoming Cayman GTS in a few years as an upgrade though.

Been very happy overall and Porsche may have found themselves a customer for life, so long as the financials permit it and they don't pull a Honda and stop improving their vehicles.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:33 AM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by woodburn
Now tell us about any issues you have had with the cayman. How the reliability? Could it be a DD?
Mine has been a DD for about 15 months. Reliability has been great. My only repair was a cracked turbo manifold that happened at a track day (and that's aftermarket). Other than that it's been routine maintenance - brake pads, fluids, filters. Most owners on my porsche boards say the same.

So long as you don't drive insane annual mileage and can afford the maintenance, the Cayman is a fantastic DD.