Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

I want to buy a domestic car, but...

Old 07-28-2010, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id buy a new ford, and I may actually in the very near future. GM on the other hand has left me with such a bad taste from the complete garbage they have been producing for the past 20+ years, that I may never want to own one. A C6 would be about the only exception.. I think the interiors are just fine. It was the C5 and previous interior quality/layout that irked me.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by rockville,Jul 28 2010, 09:30 AM
The funny thing is you don't have a hang up about the stereotypical owner of a sporty Honda.
Of course I do which is why I'm not a member of Hondatech nor why I don't go to local car 'meets'.

I usually like S2000/NSX owners. Can't say the same for the vast majority of Corvette, Mustang and F Body tools
Old 07-28-2010, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by rnye,Jul 28 2010, 07:47 AM
Of course I do which is why I'm not a member of Hondatech nor why I don't go to local car 'meets'.

I usually like S2000/NSX owners. Can't say the same for the vast majority of Corvette, Mustang and F Body tools
By referring to them as tools you sink to their reported level. You have just made your self a tool in the process. I can't say I've known many Corvette or Mustang or Camaro owners but none have fit your stereotype. Happily none of the S2000 owners I've personally know have fit a stereotype either. But some on this forum, you included, do fit the negative stereotypes.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I totally get not liking current domestic models. We don't have light-and-sporty. We don't have great interior styling/touch surfaces in most models. I might buy another vette but I'm equally likely to buy a Cayman.

But to knock American "heavy industry" after WWII ?! C'mon, at least understand where we ARE strong. Try Caterpillar, Boeing, General Electric, 3M, Exxon (now ExxonMobil) and so many others. Our heavy industry has been kicking @ss and taking names longer than you've been alive. Is there competition? Sure. But we're still not lying down on the job.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:01 AM

I think he was even knocking it during the war. That would be way off the mark.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:13 AM

I would love to own a Viper even though it's interior looks about as appealing as my CR's.
The reason I'm not purchasing a domestic vehicle has nothing to do with the domestic car market itself... It's because I can't afford another car note at the moment.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:17 AM

I drove a new 5.0 Stang and I liked it, my next car may be a Lincoln to replace my Acura. The S2000 will be with me for 5 more years.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:26 AM

Received 404 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by rockville,Jul 28 2010, 08:01 AM
I think he was even knocking it during the war. That would be way off the mark.
Yeah, pretty funny considering how the U.S. and Allies decimated the Japanese, Germans, etc.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:30 AM

Only because of pure numbers not because our weapons were better.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:36 AM

Received 404 Likes on 224 Posts

I buy the best vehicle for the money that fits MY priorities. If a dealership sucks, I will find another dealership if a particular manufacturer has the best product for me. I won't let a bad dealership experience steer me away from the best product, I'll just find a better dealership.

So, my current vehicle fleet is an '08 C6, '08 Yukon Denali, and '08 RX350. At the time of each respective purchase, each car was the best vehicle at that price point for my priorities.

C6: bought as a track/autox/weekend fun car. Paid a little over $42k for it new, put $4k into it (plus $2k for track wheels/tires) and have a formidable track weapon that easily pulls over a G in the corners, accelerates to 100mph in 7.7 seconds and has proven to be very durable, reliable, and fun. It sounds awesome too.

Yukon: paid $38k for it brand new with discounts, incentives, and GM card rebate (sticker was $54k). This was in summer '08 when the economy was falling apart and gas was $4/gallon. From used car pricing I see, I can still get $35k or so for it with over 30k on the odometer. Not bad depreciation. No other SUV on the market had nav, sunroof, heated seats, heated steering wheel, power liftgate, rear DVD entertainment, 6-speed auto, 6.2L 380hp V8, 3 row seating with captains chairs in the 1st/2nd row, and power everything for $38k. I still love it and plan to drive the wheels off of it over the next several years.

RX350: wife had an IS300 and loved driving the RX350 loaner when her IS300 was in for service/maintenance. She likes the ride, the quietness, sitting up relatively high off the ground, etc. It's her goldilocks. So, I bought her one a few years ago. It's been an awesome vehicle and still feels rock solid and has had very minimal issues in the 2.5 years of ownership. I plan to get an extended warranty on this and have her drive it for another several years.

Quick Reply: I want to buy a domestic car, but...