Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Just got a 03 R6... need some info

Old 06-08-2008, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got a 03 R6... need some info

I just got a 03 R6 and i need some tire for state inspection... whats a good all around tire... I dont plan on riding in the rain but it happens sometime so i need somthing that works in the rain... also what "to hot" for the bike.. its been like 100* here past few days and yesterday i noticed sitting at some lights i was getting around 220-230 ish ... but i was at like 180-205 when moving... I dont know whats too hot for the bike... and if you happen to have some parts for sale let me know what you got ? Thank you!
Old 06-08-2008, 11:38 AM
jah

temperature:
expect the same performance as a car, verify your fan turns on at something ~222deg and typical ride is 170-180, looks all good. still the same verify the radiator is clean, if not take care not to bend the shiz out of the thing. get it cleaned prof. ck your fluid, use 50% distilled water

tires:
the bike is race thingy. any dot sportbike tire will be as good in the rain as your will get on a r6, use use caution to mediate the situation.
you just got the bike so you will have lo performance requirements. get some race takeoffs for the local race organization. buy something sticky. the racers wear the sides not so much the center so it will easy pass your mighty state inspection. buy from the right peep and they will be able to mount them too. you will get experience with several manufacturers at a low cost.

u'r in the buy mode:
-gear: sidi boots, Dainese jacket, race gloves, bhon back protector, full face helmet.
-get a summer jacket mesh phoenix jacket like.
-get some frame sliders (make this hi priority)
-get some spray chain oil, some low velocity paint thinner or wD40
-get a rear bike stand, pit bull is the best
-get a used/stolen 3/8 snap-on digital torque wrench off ebay
-get rid of the rear turn signals; buy a trailer turn signal eliminator
-front flush turn signals
-520 d&d chain + sprocket(s)
-front ss brake lines
-new soft brake pads
Old 06-08-2008, 01:12 PM

thank you ... ill post some pics of it .. im not sure what all it has. the only thing i know is that it has a D&D exhaust ( loud as crap) I love it !!! and some "race cam" some aftermarket tail lights with the turn signals... the bike needs some work it was knocked over a few time because the kid has a dirt\gravel driveway... Thank you for your help!
Old 06-08-2008, 02:36 PM

What should tire pressure be for the rear ? iv got a groved line in the center of my rear tire ?
Old 06-08-2008, 05:39 PM

Usually about 35psi cold f&R is good for the street but tires have recommendations on the side wall. Not sure what you mean by grooved line, need pics.

I liked the Dunlop Qualifiers(not the OEM qualifiers that come on the new bikes). They arent as sticky as DOT tires. I had them on my trackbike and they stick plenty good enough to run a quick pace. They are also very predictable, even when its wet. I would run 30psi cold on the track with these.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:29 PM

Should I do a bigger tire ? or keep the same size thats on there ? I just need a good street tire... and I have dunlops on it now.. so i was going to get the same tires that are on there just dunno if a bigger size would help/better
Old 06-08-2008, 07:58 PM

On tire pressure I usually run 26psi on the rear and around 35-40 up front. Feels amazing on the power races. I'm not sure on other tires.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:00 AM

I run 32psi front and rear. Dunlop D209's currently but I prefer Bridgestones over Dunlop offerings (ridden Qualifiers and 209 sportmax). Still haven't gotten around to try out the Michelin's yet, that's next on the list.

I would recommend getting a street tire instead of a race tire, which isn't designed for tons of heat cycles. Most people around here run Michelin Pilot Power or Pilot Power 2CT. The 2CT has softer compound on the edges of the tire, but save some cash with the regular if you're mostly riding around.

Conclusion: Michelin Pilot Power

And as long as you're fan come on and you're not going above 240, you'll be fine. If it's hot, your R6 temp will flash "hi-temp" or "hot" or something, I forgot what exactly.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S2Kyle01,Jun 8 2008, 03:36 PM
What should tire pressure be for the rear ? iv got a groved line in the center of my rear tire ?
HAHAHA! Chicken Strips!
Old 06-09-2008, 09:32 AM

I'm running pilot power 2ct's on my 03 r6. They've been a great tire so far. As far as temp, the fan should kick on at 212. I run 36psi front/back.

Quick Reply: Just got a 03 R6... need some info