Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Keep S and mod? go to 07 STI?

Old 05-02-2008, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Keep S and mod? go to 07 STI?

Hey I wanted some s2k opinions on this matter, and mainly I want to look in to this simply because I want the funnest way out...for the best price... if this makes sense.

for example my 03' S has 35k miles, pretty much mint besides few rock chips, about stock. I am thinking about keeping it, and throwing on some sort of FI, and putting on simple mods such as suspension, exhaust, etc.

Other choice is to get an 07 STI, which WILL be more expensive but I wanted to get something with less than 20k miles, so i will be getting a newer car all around. I am wondering what I would be getting myself into if i wanted to go with around 350-400whp on a daily driver for the sti, if reliability and power go hand in hand like that with the sti. BIG kicker here, for me, is the extra cost on the newer car, and the insurance WILL be quite a bit more, maybe...

So basically from a poor mans financial point of view...

would it be OK to boost the s2k to about 300-350whp without reliability taking a big hit?

OR would the insurance be minimal over the s2k in an 07 sti, and would it be smarter to mod a car thats significantly newer, and would be easier on the engine to extract that amount of HP....reliably.

I am really just in it for the cost to fun factor... I am a pretty poor college student for now and it would be one hell of a stretch to try to get an 07 STI alone...let alone mod it..it would take a couple years.

I am just worried if I FI my s2k, it will just...blow up or will be broken down all the time or something... I drive it like... 40 miles a week tops right now, but sometimes it has to be my daily driver... and if my s2k blows up and i just spent 5k on a turbo... now I have to pay for an engine...things will quickly add up to an STI

Opinions? Ever find yourself with these thoughts?
Old 05-02-2008, 11:45 AM

Financially speaking, you're best off just keeping your S2000. If you must go the turbo route, it'll be cheaper to get an already modded STi.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:37 PM

Received 1,275 Likes on 962 Posts

Well, the cost of boosting the S2000 plus the cost of repairs is going to be expensive. If it's your only car and you're in college, it may be a really bad idea for many other reasons. There are going to be issues. You'll either have to get them worked out, and you may get them worked out...or you'll get sick of working them out and buy the STi anyway.

If you're looking for big power numbers and boost, the S2000 isn't the best candidate. Plus, if you're not getting the STi just for the reason of cost....you'll be disappointed and want the STi in the end anyway.

However, in the S2000's defense, the STi gets MUCH worse gas mileage, and you'll go from the sports car driving experience to the sedan driving experience.

400hp in an STi is approx. 340WHP. If you're talking about making 400whp in your daily driver STi, it's going to be an annoying DD. It wont be 100% reliable and it will suck down even more gas, be loud, etc. It's also going to cost a LOT of money to make the STi have 400whp. EVOs are easier to do so with.

My suggestion: Go sign up for a HPDE event. They're WAAAAY cheaper than any of your mentioned options. They will also solve some issues in your head. It will make you fall in love with the S2000, and you will pass on the thought of an STi as you pass them up on the track. You will most likely no longer want boost or an STi. That's the cheapest, quickest solution I can give you.

The STi and EVO are great cars if you want to make them fast AND turn quick (though an S2000 does turn much better) or if you need more room. I find that the driving experience of an S2000 is much more fun than the STi/EVO experience. You may think differently, so go test drive one and see if it's what you really want.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:39 PM

I had both, not many cars are more fun than a supercharged s2000 with about 8-9 lbs of boost (high boost pully etc) good clutch and STICKY tires IMO....

Old 05-02-2008, 12:40 PM

Keep the S2k and don't mod. Don't put your money into depreciated assets.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:24 PM

hm wow some awesome advice here you guys thank you VERY much. It looks pretty clear I should probably keep the S...and hit a track day. I live like 15-20 min from willow springs.. have ALWAYS wanted to go so bad but I am just so scared of going off and hitting something.

This IS my only car... even if I dont drive it very often and car pool a bit.

THIS video makes it look like so much fun... great instructor and everything.. Anyone know how much something like this would cost... and how much I would have to worry about hitting anything

video drops f-bomb in beginning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qOc2lX-qks

Hey, pierceman is that your 240 in your avitar at willow? looks very familiar...would you happen to know micky with the dark green s13?
Old 05-02-2008, 01:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TqPolo,May 2 2008, 12:40 PM
Yup, it's basically putting more $ to a depreciating asset to make it depreciate even more. I guess the passion to mod is just that strong . I need to control my spending......
Old 05-02-2008, 01:38 PM

^ its all too true...

Not to add injury to insult to the s2k or anything but how does the g35 stack up to the s2k in terms of track times...not really concerned with 1/4 mile times.. just canyons and (hopefully soon) track days.

Is there much potential in the g35? is the g35 sport better than the coupe?

is it stupid to ask this question in this thread right now? haha I just noticed tho that those have come down A LOT and I have always liked them as well... They are a slightly different vibe of car than the s2k or sti..but might be something nice as a daily driver. But can they hold down performance wise? quality wise?
Old 05-02-2008, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by TqPolo,May 2 2008, 12:40 PM
Hmm, I like the way he thinks =) I'd say keep the money you would put into a turbo/super and repairs into a 3 year mutual fund, and shazzam, put a down payment on a nice car later on.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My advice to you: stick w/ your unbeatable stock Honda reliability, and focus on your studies. Worrying too much about money and being distracted about cars & mods can't help your grades. You already have a better car than most college students - kick ass in school, and that will enable you to make more money and better indulge in your automotive desires after you get out.

If you can't resist FI and mods, no sense voiding the warranty on a new car.

Quick Reply: Keep S and mod? go to 07 STI?