Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Miata Magazine: Dumb Roadster Comparo vs. S2000 & Others

Old 09-15-2002, 05:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Miata Magazine: Dumb Roadster Comparo vs. S2000 & Others

I was flipping through the car mags. at the local bookstore today, and they carried "Miata Magazine". Normally, I would have no interest, but the cover had a headline for a story comparing the Miata vs. the competition (S2000, Boxster, Audi TT, Z3 IIRC).

I didn't have time to fully read it, but it was pretty funny and one-sided.
Complaints about the S2000:
- sills are too high, so you can't see out of it well unless you're at least 5'10"
- instruments suck
- they admitted it was faster, but said the Miata could hang w/ it pretty well in the twisties (i.e. they don't have a clue how to drive the S2000)
- they thought the S2000 was ugly vs. the Miata's classic lines
- ...and last but not least, they said the Miata was a much better real world value, due to the S2000's markups...they didn't know anyone who'd purchased one for less than $37-$38K.

I didn't have time for any more comedy, so I can only imagine how they compared it against the other cars. I guess they have a vested interest in keeping Miata owners from switching to avoid losing readership.
Old 09-15-2002, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, just for the record, that comparison was almost universaly panned at the Miata forum I frequent, so don't get too upset about it.
Old 09-15-2002, 07:06 PM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, it's pretty funny. For some reason the people at this site seem to think the S2000 is the better car. Having owned both cars I believe the Miata is the better car for most people. Most people don't want a hard edged (damn near race car) to drive on the street but for those that do the S2000 is clearly the better car.
Old 09-15-2002, 09:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe they should drive around in an S2000 and take pictures of the expressions of guys in Miata's. . . deferent, submissive, acquiescient, non-confrontational, fawning . . . must I go on? Maaaaaybe an SCCA racer in a Miata could hang with an S2000 on the street, but I wouldn't know--I haven't been able to get a Miata owner to race me yet.
Old 09-16-2002, 01:32 AM

They're obviously not looking at performance values for both cars. Simple as that, so who cares.
Old 09-16-2002, 06:48 AM

While I agree the S2000 is a great car, I am also in agreement with all of their comments. I like the Miata's styling better, the Miata's lower door sills (can rest elbow on door sill without pinching a nerve), the standard analog gauges, and the bang for the buck. While the S2000 is a heck of a great deal, for the money the Miata is an even better deal.

ymmv.
Old 09-16-2002, 09:22 AM

Before you guys start making biased statements about the Miata's "track worthiness" perhaps you should read this article that was written by a die-hard S2000 owner.

http://www.nsxfiles.com/wurth_willow_july_02.htm

Scroll down to the paragraph above the silver boxster, and then go down to the caption below the white Miata.

By the way, no one on the Miata board took that comparo very seriously. Obviously the Miata magazine is going to be a tad biased.
Old 09-16-2002, 11:46 AM

I read that article in the Miata mag and thought it wise to just leave it alone. Expecting an unbiased review from ANY enthusiast magazine devoted to a particular car is as rare as a baptist preacher handing back that $50 donation.
Old 09-16-2002, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by CG
Yeah, it's pretty funny. For some reason the people at this site seem to think the S2000 is the better car. Having owned both cars I believe the Miata is the better car for most people. Most people don't want a hard edged (damn near race car) to drive on the street but for those that do the S2000 is clearly the better car.
I couldn't agree more. Im GLAD that most people find the s2k "too hard". They can have their plush sedans, suvs, whatever(and thats fine), and i'll take the rough around the edges s2k.
I drive my fathers miata from time to time. It is well balanced and packs plenty of punch. I would love to autox it, but that got vetoed
Old 09-16-2002, 01:42 PM

In my opinion the Miata is a very nice can especially when you consider the bang per buck. For the type of people that want relative comfort, nice styling and an level of handling/performance that it is predictable, if uninspiring, the Miata is a good buy. After reading many postings on this board my observation of S2k owners is that they want more than Miata can offer and are willing to make compromises in order to get the speed, handling and challenge that only a fast, agile roadster can offer and that the S2k has in abundance.

Quick Reply: Miata Magazine: Dumb Roadster Comparo vs. S2000 & Others