Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Need advice, car fell off hoist @ shop...

Old 04-10-2002, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice, car fell off hoist @ shop...

A friend of mine took her Prelude in to one of the Honda dealers for an oil change and they DROPPED her car off the hoist!!!

Now, they *claimed* that the hoist was only one foot off the ground but here's the following visible damage: broken sideskirt, crumpled driver side fender and the hood is not lined up.

They said they would fix everything but are there any hidden / internal damage other than possible: bent rim, blown shock, bent suspension arm?

If so, what are her other options (perhaps from a legal standpoint)?

I doubt this is grounds for them to just give her a new car? (her car is not even one yr. old yet!)
Old 04-10-2002, 01:09 PM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

I would want reimbursement for loss of resale value as well now that the vehicle has been wrecked it is worth less.
Old 04-10-2002, 01:25 PM

Canada Law? I have no idea what you can or can't claim. If its anything like US law, you should be able to get compensatory damages including the lost value in the car.
Old 04-10-2002, 03:34 PM

I would insist on taking the car to an independent body shop (of your choice) for a thorough evaluation of the damage. Do not rely on the dealer who did the damage to be totally objective.
Old 04-10-2002, 03:39 PM

Received 5,086 Likes on 3,066 Posts

First, I'd insist on a written statement acknowledging how the accident happened. This takes away any dispute in the future, should Honda try to change the facts. Secondly, I want any damage repaired to my full satisfaction. Thirdly, I ask for an extended warranty for the maximum time available. . should a problem surface a few years from now that directly relates to this incident. I don't think any of these requests are unreasonable; if they do, I'd get an attorney.
Old 04-10-2002, 03:52 PM

demand replacement for parts taht were dmg. fix up any unreplaceable part. have private non honda affiliate inspect the car from inside how to estimate the damages. demand reimburst for resale value... and have record that honda made the incident and was their faulth..demand warranty becuz they fu*ked up the car.. for any future problem that could be related to the incident

if none of these work...

sue their ass for a new car!
Old 04-10-2002, 04:10 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lvs2k
[B]I would insist on taking the car to an independent body shop (of your choice) for a thorough evaluation of the damage.
Old 04-10-2002, 04:45 PM

just out of curiousity which dealer was this???? I don't plan on stopping by there!! I heard a story once, that some apprentice left a shop rag on the customer's exhaust manifold (header) and it caught fire!! In the end all of the damage done was completely repaired and some extra's were added , if you know what I mean! My advice....this is there fault. JUST MILK IT!!!!! rental, OEM body kit, fogs, spoilers, etc, etc...After all that's happened, What are they going to say??? NO??? I'm sure the dealer is willing to do whatever it takes to keep a lid on this one!
Old 04-10-2002, 04:48 PM
Banned

Your friend should have the chassis checked. If the chassis has been damaged in any way, thats bad!!!!!
Old 04-12-2002, 07:27 AM

Thanks for all the advice, guys

XTC: its a Honda dealer in the NE region of GTA ... that's all i'll say...

After finding out a little more from my friend, it turns out by the time she saw the car, all the damaged panels were removed so she couldn't see how bad the pieces were... when we visited the dealer the next day to speak w/ the service manager, he pretty much b.s.ed everything and downplayed the incident to "the tires were actually on the ground and it was the support arm that swung out and crushed the fender" (i actually demand to speak w/ the techie that did the screw up) .... so it wasn't "as big of a drop" and of course they've already taken the car away without any form of signed approval to have the repairs done.

When we demand some sort of written report of the incident, the manager wouldn't give us the time of day and just procrastinated saying that we'll give you some form of writing (which probably means nothing) when the car returns from the bodyshop.

This morning she spoke with Honda Canada reporting this incident but they brushed her off saying that its your own responsibility to settle w/ the dealer privately without offering her ANY reassurance on the matter

So basically my friend is getting screwed here, what else can we do about it?

Quick Reply: Need advice, car fell off hoist @ shop...