Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Need some help

Old 04-05-2006, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help

First of all, I dont know how to ride. So I need to learn how to ride, should I take a course of some sort?
Also as a starter bike, which bike should I get? I know nothing over 600, but any in particular that a noobie like me would just suit fine? I guess price limit is under 7 g's.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:21 AM

You should definitely take a riding class if they're available in your area. Some states subsidise the price too. Self-taught riders or riders who are taught by friends or family have a much higher accident rate.

The David Hough books are excellent too, Proficient Motorcycling and More Proficient Motorcycling. I read those while trying to decide if I wanted to ride or not.

Then shop for insurance. If you're a young single male, insurance prices for sportbikes can be astronomical, as in equal to the price of the bike. Insurance prices are also affected by engine size, brand of bike, style of bike, credit rating, and where you live.

Then shop for gear ($500-$1000) (ATG ATT = All The Gear, All The Time). Of course "all the gear" means different things to different people. To me it's a full-face helmet, kevlar lined pants, heavy leather jacket, riding boots, and kevlar-lined gloves.

My advice, start with something small to learn on. Not too powerful. Not too heavy. Not too tall or with a high center of gravity. Not too expensive. Recommending an actual bike model for someone else is nearly impossible without knowing your comfort level, size, experience, and what style of bike you're looking for.

The Ninja 250/500 are often recommended as excellent first bikes for sportbikes. Even the 250 is capable of speeds over 100mph.

For beginner cruisers I'm a huge fan of the Kawasaki Vulcan 500LTD. Same engine as the Ninja 500, but in a very lightweight cruiser-style bike. For very small riders the Suzuki Savage is a good choice, if you can stand the "thumping". Probably the most popular first cruiser of all time is the Yamaha V-Star 650 - available in two styles, tons of accessories, and they have a reputation for being "bulletproof" or "built like a tank".

-Bob
Old 04-06-2006, 12:25 AM

p.s.

You should stop in at www.beginnerbikers.org . Those are the friendliest folks on the internet anywhere and they know everything about motorcycles. Several members are riding instructors, many have been riding for decades, but most are relatively new riders (like myself) who remember having the exact same questions as you not long ago.

www.beginnerandbeyond.com is another great site with friendly riders. That site also has a great reference section of bike reviews, with emphasis on suitability for new motorcyclists.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:15 AM

Thanks a lot Bob for the useful information. I'll check out the website and def take a class. Once again, thanks for your input.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:28 PM

Kawwasaki ninja 250 or 500
Suzuki gs 500F
Suzuki SV 650
Three of the friendliest begginer bikes you can possibly get.
Buy Used! (Lots of them on ebay with low mileage)
If you have zero experience, then definitely a MSF course is in order.
Best of Luck!

Old 04-23-2006, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 600 is not a starter bike. Take a saftey course where they provide the bike. Get a cheap, lightweight bike that you're not gonna mind dropping or wrecking...because you will.