Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

A new car for s2ki to hate! Lotus Evija

Old 08-28-2019, 10:38 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer
Exactly what I think about the new Evora as well. While it looks awesome and fun, it is completely opposite of the design philosophy Colin had and against what I liked most about Lotus, which was light and nimble vs porky with gobs of power. I want a 3000# + sports car I will just buy a vette :P
You weren't a buyer for Lotus before or now, or you'd have one... Those who own or owned one get it. A Lotus is not for everyone.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:19 PM

Received 565 Likes on 395 Posts

Wonder if they'll decided to "play" with Porsche and battle the Taycan on the 'ring.

Old 08-28-2019, 06:25 PM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Which part would they disagree with?
The battery mount, the turn signals popping out, electrical issues, etc. There's a lot of engineering mistakes with that car. You can peruse the Lotus forums to see the most common issues.
Old 08-29-2019, 04:31 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Fokker
The battery mount, the turn signals popping out, electrical issues, etc. There's a lot of engineering mistakes with that car. You can peruse the Lotus forums to see the most common issues.
That's half the fun.
People forget that exotics were always flawed. They were visceral, an experience, and has horrible build qualities lol.
Today's exotics are basically GT cars. They are too comfortable, too good at doing it all, and too good at just being a normal car.

There is nothing like driving an Elise/exige.

Now I agree, lotus build quality sucks. I don't care if it's hand assembled if the goddamn door locks can't work. But I still buy them because they are one of the best handling cars for the price.
The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (08-29-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 09:16 AM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm not saying it's not a fun car, just that calling it "best engineering" when crap like that happens is a bit of a stretch.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Fokker
I'm not saying it's not a fun car, just that calling it "best engineering" when crap like that happens is a bit of a stretch.
So, Ferrari is out too since they've had engine fires? Mercedes is out since the infotainment stops working on its own? There is always a price point to meet and it is where a manufacturer puts their engineering time and energy towards. For Lotus, is quite clear throughout the car where that time & energy was spent and what they costs were cut where they did. Keep in mind that Lotus does not the economy of scale to buy everything as cheap as other global marques.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:44 AM
Community Organizer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Driven
[SCREAMING] "BUT IT'S NOT A LOTUS BECAUSE I DON'T LIKE IT!!!!!!" -Saki GT

For US markets they stopped importing the Exige, sure... but they still make the Exige.
https://www.caradvice.com.au/726671/...rt-410-review/
Did not know this. Thanks for the info!
Old 08-29-2019, 12:11 PM

Received 1,203 Likes on 933 Posts

You weren't a buyer for Lotus before or now, or you'd have one... Those who own or owned one get it. A Lotus is not for everyone.
Almost did own an Elise and no, I would not have an Evora if had owned an Elise. I dont even get that though process lol. Lots of higher hp, heavy sports cars out there to choose from and to be honest, likely more reliable ones. I like the Elise, even with its shortcomings, (which are plenty and only would be tolerable by me if it literally was a track toy only... part of the reason I did not get one) because it is as light and small as it is. So with that being the main reason I liked the Elise/Exige models there is zero reason to think owning one would make me want a 3000+ lb Evora. I am not a brand guy, I buy the cars that suit me. And for what the Evora is there are plenty of other cars out there that would likely interest me more in that category. Nothing really deeper about it than that.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:22 PM

Received 1,203 Likes on 933 Posts

I think you are incorrectly interpreting Colin Chapman's engineering and the automotive industry we are currently in. He would be quite impressed with all the innovation and design prowess Lotus has shown since his passing. Not only in their own branded cars, but for many marques they have designed engines and suspensions for. Certainly light weight was/is a critical part of the Lotus ethos, but it is not everything and light weight comes at the highest manufacturing cost. It's easier and way less expensive to add HP than it is to do reduce weight. Safety regulations are much different than in Chapman's time. Ferrari has the same ideals and is in the same situation of they can only sell so many cars per price point to bring the weight where it could be. Not everyone is a buyer for an F1 car...

So often I read the same old drivel of "Not Colin's philosophy" or some Lucas comments geared towards any British car. Very unenlightened and not relevant when talking about modern cars. Chapman was just a great engineer and if alive today he would be engineering as they are now.

The Evora 400 for instance was totally disassembled,parts laid out on the floor, and every part was scrutinized on how they could make it lighter, better and more cost efficient. The end was a car that was lighter and more powerful than its predecessor... How many German marques come out with a newer model that's lighter and more powerful than the previous one?
It seems you like to think there is so much deeper about all of everyones car selection or you take offense if you think someone does not like something in your fave brand. There is nothing deeply philosophical about it and we all have our own reasons. Colin absolutely did have a lighter is better mentality. I am not debating what he would really think about the new ones (most of that by any of us is jest by the way... no reason to take internet talk all that seriously) but his initial philosophy of lighter lighter lighter is what drew me to the Elise because of what it was. The Evora simply does not check the boxes the same for me. That does not make me "not a Lotus person" or whatever and I am not knocking your brand or anything lol.

Not sure why German cars are relevant to what we are saying here and do not own or have a plan to own a German car. I know the new Miata is lighter than its predecessor ... since we are comparing to other cars not in the discussion and all :P
Old 08-29-2019, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by engifineer
Almost did own an Elise and no, I would not have an Evora if had owned an Elise. I dont even get that though process lol. Lots of higher hp, heavy sports cars out there to choose from and to be honest, likely more reliable ones. I like the Elise, even with its shortcomings, (which are plenty and only would be tolerable by me if it literally was a track toy only... part of the reason I did not get one) because it is as light and small as it is. So with that being the main reason I liked the Elise/Exige models there is zero reason to think owning one would make me want a 3000+ lb Evora. I am not a brand guy, I buy the cars that suit me. And for what the Evora is there are plenty of other cars out there that would likely interest me more in that category. Nothing really deeper about it than that.

Well, "almost did own" is far from owning one. Saying the weight of the Evora as reason not to buy one; clearly not buyer for one. Have you driven an Evora 400? Did you find it "heavy" after the drive? The Exige and Evora both share a similar feel and handling; regardless of their weight. They're immediately a Lotus. Just like driving a Ferrari California or 458; both feel immediately like Ferrari even though such different cars. Owning an Elise or Exige is plenty of reason to want an Evora and is often the ownership roadmap.

You are in the majority of car buyers, not so many are looking primarily for the "connection between driver and car"; they want the most "performance" for the money. The Evija wins the stat race and should have handling of Lotus. Very exciting times for Lotus. I hope they can pull it off.

Quick Reply: A new car for s2ki to hate! Lotus Evija