Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New rule: car buyers to be told about black boxes

Old 08-21-2006, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the blackbox has screwed many M3 e46 owners already with blew engines. BMW blamed it on users overrevving when everyone claimed that is not true.

The funny thing was that BMW saw the blackbox was blaming the SMG tranny overreving too. BMW had to eat up the replacement cost because the SMG tranny was supposed to make that impossible.

I don't want someone's buggy code to tell me that I was at fault when the manufacturer was at fault.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:16 PM

If you're not doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about. Assuming the system was functioning correctly and the data being interpreted by the book. What potentially sucks is either the insurance co. or the mfgr. deciding to put you at fault even though the data absolves you outright or was incorrectly unravled.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:32 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by umop-apisdn,Aug 21 2006, 06:16 PM
If you're not doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about. Assuming the system was functioning correctly and the data being interpreted by the book. What potentially sucks is either the insurance co. or the mfgr. deciding to put you at fault even though the data absolves you outright or was incorrectly unravled.
See my above post. What is "data interpreted by the book?" Suppose a kid runs out in front of me, and I know I don't have room to brake, so I try to accelerate around him and hit him? Or I don't see him so the black box shows me not braking at all? Suppose I'm on ice and my wheels are spinning at 30mph, but I am barely moving and I go off the road? In all of those scenarios, I may be doing everything "right" but the data will show me as wrong. Do you want to trust 12 dumbasses not smart enough to get out of jury duty to see through the data and acquit you? I sure as hell don't.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Stack
What is "data interpreted by the book?"
I mean whoever or whatever looks at the data after the accident accomplishes so in a professional, unpartial manner.

Originally Posted by Chris Stack
Suppose a kid runs out in front of me, and I know I don't have room to brake, so I try to accelerate around him and hit him?
I'm sure that any respectable black box system would incorporate yaw, steering wheel, and many other sensors to help make the data as clear as possible.

[QUOTE=Chris Stack]Or I don't see him so the black box shows me not braking at all?
Old 08-21-2006, 03:48 PM

If you are a safe driver, you have nothing to worry about right? Thats what they will say. I've heard that said about wire tapping. If you arnt a terrorist, what are you worried about right?

But if you are the one T-boned at an intersection, you would want their black box, they will say that to.

It doesnt matter, all the cameras they will have up every 100 feet will capture it any ways
Old 08-21-2006, 04:04 PM
Banned

let's be honest. There is not a single case where having a data recorder in a car will save the world. The only possible use is to provide evidence against someone. When that someone is YOU, you will hate the idea, and wonder how so many people could think "it's no big deal."

Accidents aren't mysteries. If a guy hits another car going well in excess of the speed limit, you don't need an "event data recorder" to make that discovery. The only thing this is good for is lazy prosecutors and holier-than-thou police state advocates.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:22 PM

The black box has already been used here for a manslaughter trial in Nassau County, NY. There was a conviction.

I have heard that the S does NOT have this device.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by no_really,Aug 21 2006, 04:04 PM
let's be honest. There is not a single case where having a data recorder in a car will save the world. The only possible use is to provide evidence against someone. When that someone is YOU, you will hate the idea, and wonder how so many people could think "it's no big deal."

Accidents aren't mysteries. If a guy hits another car going well in excess of the speed limit, you don't need an "event data recorder" to make that discovery. The only thing this is good for is lazy prosecutors and holier-than-thou police state advocates.
What if there was a mass murderer who drove around and got in an accident. The time that he left the scene of the crime was on that black box....

Whatever, that was just a bad hypothetical and these boxes probably don't even have the time. The point is there are hundreds of positives to this device if it is done right. Sure if done wrong or halfassed (which it will be) there will be some mistakes, but that's why (like someone else said; me) that it would be used along with other evidence. Don't dismiss something because one person would be wronged out of thousands.

It might not "save the world", but I don't think it would be as detrimental as you make it sound.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:56 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by umop-apisdn,Aug 21 2006, 06:59 PM

I mean whoever or whatever looks at the data after the accident accomplishes so in a professional, unpartial manner.
I don't believe an "unpartial" person exists. Certainly not a police officer.

I'm sure that any respectable black box system would incorporate yaw, steering wheel, and many other sensors to help make the data as clear as possible.
I'm sure it would, and I'm sure 99% of the general public (read: a jury) has NO idea what those things mean. Add in a fast-talking lawyer, and we are less clear on what happened than without the data recorder.

[QUOTE]This new technology (for cars anyway) isn't meant to replace a good claim adjuster or police officer, only aid.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:36 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Retrieving the data should require a search warrant if used in a criminal case...just as a warrant would be required to retrieve data from your PC or file cabinet, etc.

Any other purpose should require your permission or a civil discovery subpoena. Sorry...but if your black box shows you were speeding and it was the primary contributor to an accident, then why shouldn't you be held accountable?

Quick Reply: New rule: car buyers to be told about black boxes