Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Nissan Leaf?

Old 10-09-2022, 09:48 PM

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Nissan Leaf?

Have any of you had personal experience with the Nissan Leaf? 220 mi range, 215 hp, 3900 lbs is fine by me. I like how unassuming and normal they are, and holy crap they are cheap to run. Running the numbers on a cheap EV versus a cheap 26mpg / $6.50+ premium gas car was eye opening. Anything else in the category I should be considering?

Cost per year on the leaf is ~$3.5k at the 5 year mark and $3k at the 10 year mark, versus the BRZ ($6k at the 5 year mark and $6.5k at the 10 year mark). Yes, I budgeted for an engine on the BRZ. In case you were wondering, cost/yr on a Tesla Model 3 LR runs about the same as a BRZ

Old 10-10-2022, 04:40 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

No doubt that the EV will be cheaper to run than most ICE vehicles, but do you think the Leaf will be still worth half its value in 10 years? Prior generation Nissan Leaf's fell off a depreciation cliff once they aged. And why not add in the cost of a replacement battery pack into the spreadsheet for the Leaf if you're adding in an engine replacement for the BRZ?
Old 10-10-2022, 05:53 AM

Received 3,389 Likes on 2,460 Posts

Much has been said about owners who had to replace batteries on the Leaf early on. There was a shortage of batteries for those under warranty who had to wait a long time to get them, those that were out of warranty found the cost of a new battery was almost as much as they paid for the entire vehicle. It would not be my first choice in an EV.
Old 10-10-2022, 06:33 AM

Received 3,818 Likes on 3,036 Posts

If you are just looking for basic transportation in an electric car I would suggest a Prius.
The following users liked this post:
TheDonEffect (10-10-2022)
Old 10-10-2022, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Soul Coughing
No doubt that the EV will be cheaper to run than most ICE vehicles, but do you think the Leaf will be still worth half its value in 10 years? Prior generation Nissan Leaf's fell off a depreciation cliff once they aged. And why not add in the cost of a replacement battery pack into the spreadsheet for the Leaf if you're adding in an engine replacement for the BRZ?
Looks like I popped the wrong number in for residual at 10y- comps suggest around 7-8k. It doesn’t change the numbers much though, still around $3.5k/y at the ten year mark.

I’ll have to check whether the newer gen cars have the battery issue. Any other economical EVs that would be worth checking out? The cost of the initial purchase price on the $50k+ EVs offsets any potential savings over a cheaper ICE...at that point I’d probably just keep my BRZ
Old 10-10-2022, 08:32 AM

Received 492 Likes on 375 Posts

I think the Leaf math worked out really great on the prior gen models, especially when you could pick up a used one for next to nothing. Also, you're comparing it to a BRZ, why not compare it to a regular Corolla, or better still, a Prius?
Old 10-10-2022, 01:43 PM

Received 383 Likes on 285 Posts

It’s been my daily driver for almost 9 years. Will be 9 years in February. In those 9 years, I’ve had to replace in the in cabin air filter a couple of times. The 12v battery, same as ICE, every 3 years. They go through 12v’s quicker because no engine and the 12v is running aircon, etc. At year 6 I went ahead and flushed out the brake fluid and put new Motul in there. No other maintenance.

I make my own power at home so zero fuel costs in 9 years sans a couple of times, say 3, where I used public charging infrastructure (chademo) and only charging or taking just enough juice to get me back home.

The Leaf makes sense if you are going to drive it long term. If you are looking at it as an asset you are going to trade or sell down the road, doubtful the residual or depreciation will work out for you. They are relatively bulletproof so if you are going to acquire one and drive it long term, 7, 10 years, it’ll make sense then. In most places it’s much cheaper to use kwh compared to gasoline.

It’s been the best daily driver and best automobile I’ve ever owned. Nobody pays attention to it. It draws zero attention. It excels at what it was designed for, daily driving. Plenty of room as a hauler with the rear seats folded down, same for most hatchbacks. I’m buying a performance vehicle next (GR Corolla) year. I’ll probably pay it off within 12-24 months at which time I’ll sell my Leaf or trade it in for a brand new one. The one you are looking at, the 215 mile version. I’m completely sold on them but I differ from most in that I see vehicles as tools. No image involved. They are tools in a tool box and there are few better DD’s on the market than the Leaf. And since it’s not a Tesla you can actually get a deal on one even now.
Old 10-10-2022, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
I think the Leaf math worked out really great on the prior gen models, especially when you could pick up a used one for next to nothing. Also, you're comparing it to a BRZ, why not compare it to a regular Corolla, or better still, a Prius?
That is a good question - it might be weird but I have absolutely no interest in listening to a CVT 4-banger wail away or driving a Prius that can't get out of its own way.
On the other hand, an EV offers a step-up in daily driving characteristics: instant torque, no warm-up time needed, highway self-driving, and silent power.

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
It’s been my daily driver for almost 9 years. Will be 9 years in February. In those 9 years, I’ve had to replace in the in cabin air filter a couple of times. The 12v battery, same as ICE, every 3 years. They go through 12v’s quicker because no engine and the 12v is running aircon, etc. At year 6 I went ahead and flushed out the brake fluid and put new Motul in there. No other maintenance.

I make my own power at home so zero fuel costs in 9 years sans a couple of times, say 3, where I used public charging infrastructure (chademo) and only charging or taking just enough juice to get me back home.

The Leaf makes sense if you are going to drive it long term. If you are looking at it as an asset you are going to trade or sell down the road, doubtful the residual or depreciation will work out for you. They are relatively bulletproof so if you are going to acquire one and drive it long term, 7, 10 years, it’ll make sense then. In most places it’s much cheaper to use kwh compared to gasoline.

It’s been the best daily driver and best automobile I’ve ever owned. Nobody pays attention to it. It draws zero attention. It excels at what it was designed for, daily driving. Plenty of room as a hauler with the rear seats folded down, same for most hatchbacks. I’m buying a performance vehicle next (GR Corolla) year. I’ll probably pay it off within 12-24 months at which time I’ll sell my Leaf or trade it in for a brand new one. The one you are looking at, the 215 mile version. I’m completely sold on them but I differ from most in that I see vehicles as tools. No image involved. They are tools in a tool box and there are few better DD’s on the market than the Leaf. And since it’s not a Tesla you can actually get a deal on one even now.
Good to know and that is exactly what I am looking for. I want to go to work, run errands, without drawing any attention; drive on the highway and use the ProPilot driving assistance feature so I can handle other crap on the highway drive. The battery degradation seems to be better in the newer gens and weather in CA should be easier on the air-cooled battery. The Bolt is the other front runner in this category but the fire issues are a cause for concern.

The 2-3 year old ones are still pretty expensive ~28-33k, might just be the over-inflated market, but dealers are still charging $4-10k ADM on the new ones in the Bay Area. I'm not about to pay ADM on it especially with a bear market coming, but will test drive one this weekend just to see what's up.
Old 10-11-2022, 05:56 AM

Received 104 Likes on 76 Posts

You cant go wrong with EVs but I personally would not pay that much for a Leaf especially if dollar cost is my main concern. As mentioned above Prius all they way. lol. You can get them for much cheaper and they are hassle free cars. They run forever and I would be willing to bet even a used prius will out last a leaf. lol

If someone tells me a Nissan is problem free id take it with a grain of salt. They are the Fords of Jap cars IMO.
Old 10-11-2022, 07:36 AM

Received 424 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by robb
If you are just looking for basic transportation in an electric car I would suggest a Prius.
My brother had good luck with his, but the dude who just poured my driveway has two of them. He claimed they have both gone past 300,000 miles on original battery (and engine). True or not, I don't know, but that is what he claimed.

Quick Reply: Nissan Leaf?