Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Performance cars reasonably good for 200K miles

Old 12-22-2014, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance cars reasonably good for 200K miles

I'm trying to get my S2000 ready for "the next 200k miles" but I'm also preparing for the possibility that it might make more sense to look at other options. At the time I purchased the S2K, it was fairly self-evident to most (I think) that among performance cars, the S2000 was a fairly safe bet for extended reliability--along with other cars such as, say, the Miata, Lexus IS and SC. Likewise I think it would be a safe bet that few Corvettes or M3s of the time would be driven to that level of mileage. (I know several 'vette and M3 owners personally who would concur with these statements; it's not a knock on the vehicle's strengths.)

Now with 2015 almost here, has the equation changed at all? Obviously the S2000 is gone, with no immediate successor (in the next 12 months, anyway). I've personally witnessed GM plate quality going up quite a bit (working in the auto industry) but I'm not sure where the Corvette is now in terms of expected results after 20k-miles-a-year-for-10-years duty cycle. There's still a Lexus IS, and there's still a Miata. Thoughts? If you had to purchase a vehicle, say up to $55K or thereabouts, of flexible configuration (2 door, 4 door, etc.) but definitely a performance-oriented vehicle, and you expected it to be a daily driver (summer and winter, rain and snow) for 200k miles and beyond with the highest probability of no major implosions, what would you be looking at now?
Old 12-22-2014, 09:12 PM

RC-F, but really any new car you maintain well should do it...
Old 12-22-2014, 10:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd second the Lexus. If reliability wasn't *as* much of a concern, I'd mention the Audi S3 or Golf R for well under the price range mentioned. But with that extra money, you will likely have enough money left over to get it to 200,000 miles.

And how much driving in the snow do you plan on doing over the next 10 years with this vehicle? Because I don't think a Corvette would be too ideal for that, at least not when there are several inches or more to drive through.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:10 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Get a Jag.

Jaguar XK/XKR from 2007 - 2009; the 4.2L V8. That is the final iteration of the 4.2 AJV8 which is good for 200K+ without an engine rebuild. The verdict is still out on the 5.0 V8 in later Jag's but everything is lining up to them being good too. You'll find that one in later models throughout their line up.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:12 AM

Isn't the V8 BMW M3 supposed to be rather reliable? Granted it doesn't get much for mileage, but the engine is fairly simple design naturally aspirated V8.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:25 AM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

New Lexus coupe is amazing. That car is one to look at hands down
Old 12-23-2014, 06:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dont just look at engine to evaluate reliability, electrical issues can be just as much of a pain to deal with.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by clawhammer
Isn't the V8 BMW M3 supposed to be rather reliable? Granted it doesn't get much for mileage, but the engine is fairly simple design naturally aspirated V8.
I was approaching reliability from the point of view of how many vehicles (of past generations, within the same lineage) actually run up that many miles. Personally, I have not seen many (really: any) BMW M cars with mileage up in that range. Granted that is not a sure-fire indication of reliability; it's only an indication that owners don't want to "daily driver" such vehicles which could be due to reliability but also due to protecting resale value, vehicle not being comfortable for long haul commutes, not being 4-season practical (e.g. the Corvette) and so on. But it's the only metric I know to go with and by that metric, I mostly only see Miatas, S2000s and Lexus SC/IS routinely getting to that point. I'm unsure about WRX STi (don't know many owners/haven't participated in forums where their reliability is discussed.)
Old 12-23-2014, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by phoenix9999
Originally Posted by clawhammer' timestamp='1419343955' post='23445373
I was approaching reliability from the point of view of how many vehicles (of past generations, within the same lineage) actually run up that many miles. Personally, I have not seen many (really: any) BMW M cars with mileage up in that range. Granted that is not a sure-fire indication of reliability; it's only an indication that owners don't want to "daily driver" such vehicles which could be due to reliability but also due to protecting resale value, vehicle not being comfortable for long haul commutes, not being 4-season practical (e.g. the Corvette) and so on. But it's the only metric I know to go with and by that metric, I mostly only see Miatas, S2000s and Lexus SC/IS routinely getting to that point. I'm unsure about WRX STi (don't know many owners/haven't participated in forums where their reliability is discussed.)
Search on cars.com across the country, and sort the listings based on highest mileage for a particular car. Compare this to other vehicles, and that should give you some sort of idea about what percentage of then make it to high miles
Old 12-23-2014, 09:47 AM

Received 565 Likes on 395 Posts

My brother's e36 m3 made it to 235K before the rear shock tore through the shock mount tower (he should have re-enforced it - known BMW chassis issue). Motor was good to 275K miles before it lost compression - it was modified with cams at around 80K miles. It was driven hard and tracked. It was well maintained, but definitely not a garage queen, and not babied.

Quick Reply: Performance cars reasonably good for 200K miles