Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

WIth the recent events in Japan

Old 03-13-2011, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WIth the recent events in Japan

What do you guys think?
Old 03-13-2011, 07:01 PM

What do they do with all those cars damaged by the tsunamis?
Old 03-13-2011, 08:36 PM

I doubt it will have a major impact on product plans. The devastation -- as horrific as it is -- is almost entirely in the north of the country, where there is comparatively little industrial production. All of the auto companies are based near Tokyo or southward. There is Honda in Tochigi somewhat to the north of Tokyo, where they've lost power, but I think that's about as bad as it was. I was in Tokyo during the earthquake (just managed to get out yesterday), and really the extent of the impact there is disruption of transportation infrastructure, which they'll recover from quickly. On top of that, I was absolutely stunned with how matter-of-fact the Japanese people were during all that's happened. In the cities that weren't directly hit by the brunt of the earthquake or tsunamis, nobody was freaking out if wasn't a direct reason to; people just want to get back to business and their lives.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:57 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

if its anything like the cars which mazda dropped into the drink they'll likely get crushed.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xmatt
I doubt it will have a major impact on product plans. The devastation -- as horrific as it is -- is almost entirely in the north of the country, where there is comparatively little industrial production. All of the auto companies are based near Tokyo or southward. There is Honda in Tochigi somewhat to the north of Tokyo, where they've lost power, but I think that's about as bad as it was. I was in Tokyo during the earthquake (just managed to get out yesterday), and really the extent of the impact there is disruption of transportation infrastructure, which they'll recover from quickly. On top of that, I was absolutely stunned with how matter-of-fact the Japanese people were during all that's happened. In the cities that weren't directly hit by the brunt of the earthquake or tsunamis, nobody was freaking out if wasn't a direct reason to; people just want to get back to business and their lives.
They're so used to the quakes, years of false alarms jades you a bit I suppose.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:49 AM

Seems like the Media is feeding the fire. Good to hear you are all right and most of the people are too
Old 03-14-2011, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Christople
Seems like the Media is feeding the fire. Good to hear you are all right and most of the people are too
Yeah, I mean I haven't seen what the US media are saying, but it is an enormous tragedy in the north -- there's no minimizing that and I doubt it can be exaggerated.

But anything from Tokyo southward is really okay, and this isn't going to destroy the Japanese economy overall. I saw this morning that Japanese automakers are taking a huge stock hit, but right now they're only talking about short-term closures in plants and there may be some supply chain disruption if there were suppliers in the north. But I doubt it will effect long-term plans, and if it were me, I'd be buying some of those stocks while they're a bargain.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by xmatt
I'd be buying some of those stocks while they're a bargain.
QFT. The stocks are bound to recover stronger than ever - practically everyone on the north side needs to buy a new car now.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:18 PM

Received 203 Likes on 140 Posts

Honda announced closure of its motorcycle plants for a month at least, so any other north-country production and possibly elsewhere may be limited. Stocks are down but not by much imo.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

There is chatter in the seismological community about this being a precursor to an 8.0 quake near Tokyo. There may be a second shoe to drop.

Quick Reply: WIth the recent events in Japan