Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

WIth the recent events in Japan

Old 03-14-2011, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an interesting article...

I know a bunch of Toyota plants are north of Tokyo...
Old 03-15-2011, 07:21 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by xmatt
I doubt it will have a major impact on product plans. The devastation -- as horrific as it is -- is almost entirely in the north of the country, where there is comparatively little industrial production. All of the auto companies are based near Tokyo or southward. There is Honda in Tochigi somewhat to the north of Tokyo, where they've lost power, but I think that's about as bad as it was. I was in Tokyo during the earthquake (just managed to get out yesterday), and really the extent of the impact there is disruption of transportation infrastructure, which they'll recover from quickly. On top of that, I was absolutely stunned with how matter-of-fact the Japanese people were during all that's happened. In the cities that weren't directly hit by the brunt of the earthquake or tsunamis, nobody was freaking out if wasn't a direct reason to; people just want to get back to business and their lives.
So that's why you were missing at the auto-x this weekend. Glad to hear you made it out ok.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
So that's why you were missing at the auto-x this weekend. Glad to hear you made it out ok.
Heh, yeah... I was supposed to be back Friday afternoon. I was thinking about that at the time too -- "dammit, I'm going to miss another autocross." I don't know why fate doesn't want me to race. If anybody is interested, here's my description of what it was like in Tokyo:

http://www.hine.org/etc/japan-earthquake/

On the upside, I got my new toy yesterday:

Sorry, enough threadjacking.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by MechaGodzilla
There is chatter in the seismological community about this being a precursor to an 8.0 quake near Tokyo. There may be a second shoe to drop.
Not nearly at 8, but there was just a "new" quake near Shizuoka, south of Tokyo near Mt. Fuji. That's definitely not an aftershock and is kind of worrisome.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:30 AM

Received 223 Likes on 166 Posts

I would imagine after a shift of the size they just experienced, there will be a lot of quakes all over the area for a while. Actually, small quakes are good. They relieve stresses that otherwise turn into large earthquakes. The tectonic plates are moving, that is inevitable.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by SheDrivesIt
I would imagine after a shift of the size they just experienced, there will be a lot of quakes all over the area for a while. Actually, small quakes are good. They relieve stresses that otherwise turn into large earthquakes. The tectonic plates are moving, that is inevitable.
Yes, well, but the last time that there were shallow quakes near Fuji, it erupted and there was a major, major quake.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:59 PM

Earthquake tracker:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquak...uakes_all.html

There was almost no activity off the Honshu coast until 3/9/11 when a 7.2 quake hit...followed by hundreds of smaller quakes leading up to 3/11/11 when all hell broke loose.