Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Replace s2000 with LS FD RX7?

Old 05-11-2008, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace s2000 with LS FD RX7?

So I'm at the point where my S is just about paid off. I planned on doing a turbo build, but I'm started to have second thought due to reliability. So I've recently been doing research on the various LS swaps( ls1 / ls2/ ls6/ ls7) into a Mazda FD RX7. I would most likely go for one that is already built because they are surprisingly cheap for the most part. A prime example of what I'm thinking is something along the lines of this:

http://www.v8rx7forum.com/cars-sale/49357-...n-virginia.html

Now from what I've read so far, the ls engine only weighs about 60 lbs more then the stock rotery, so it wouldn't mess with the balance of the car at all and it seems like it would be amazing. I'd be turboing my S to pick up some power where it needs it in the powerband, but I still think I could never achieve the same performance of an NA LS1 with mods. It just couldn't happen without big money and alot of headaches.

So my question is, does anyone have any experience with this hybrid setup? Does the car feel "normal", or can you tell it's a custom job? or just any tips/ advice /opinions...I've always loved the look of FD's and it's lightweight as well.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LS1 FDs are pretty awesome, no doubt. However, a 14 year old car will still feel like a 14 year old car. The one I test drove was too squeaky for my taste.

If you think the area in an s2k is small, try sitting in an FD. In addition, although 19K sounds like a good price, you always have to deal with the "quirks" of someone else's build. At one time I was looking for an LS1 FD - a clean problem free build was at least 30k.

What turbo kits have you considered? What horsepower goal are you aiming for?
Old 05-11-2008, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by modMonkey,May 11 2008, 03:50 PM
LS1 FDs are pretty awesome, no doubt. However, a 14 year old car will still feel like a 14 year old car. The one I test drove was too squeaky for my taste.

If you think the area in an s2k is small, try sitting in an FD. In addition, although 19K sounds like a good price, you always have to deal with the "quirks" of someone else's build. At one time I was looking for an LS1 FD - a clean problem free build was at least 30k.

What turbo kits have you considered? What horsepower goal are you aiming for?
I'd go with either the inlinepro kit or the new Kraftworks blower. I would go too crazy really, around 350whp on the inline or I'd do the Kraftworks High-Boost kit. Anything past that, i'd worry about reliability.

The main thing I'm wondering about with an FD ls1 is handling and traction.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:51 PM

So I'm at the point where my S is just about paid off. I planned on doing a turbo build, but I'm started to have second thought due to reliability. So I've recently been doing research on the various LS swaps( ls1 / ls2/ ls6/ ls7) into a Mazda FD RX7.

I think you are confused.

I quit smoking because it's bad for my health. So now I have unsafe sex with street hookers instead.

Looks, performance, originality, rarity, excellent.

Reliability, even with the LS, is still not going to be the same as a much newer Honda. There is also probably going to be issues with the swap, not as much as you'd have with the stock motor, but some regardless.

I'd take the LS FD myself, but I sure as hell wouldn't do it to gain reliability against a turbo s2000.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:17 PM

I have never driven the LS FD RX7, but I do own a LT1 powered Fiero.

Even though the swap was done in a shop that specializes in it, it still has its quirks.

It is a cool car, and a rare combination but I am now trying to sell it to put a turbo kit on my S and just put the remaining money back in my savings.

From what Ive read, as long as you dont go crazy with the boost, or have your motor properly built to handle the crazy boost, there should be little problems.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:32 PM

Actually, after reading the last 2 responses let me rephrase this a little. It's not just about the reliability, it's also about having torque as well, and having something different. I love the styling of the rx7 and think I would like to try out a whole different kind of beast (V8)...As long as the car could handle like its supposed to, I think I might be set on getting one. The way I look at it...my 01 S has 60,000 miles...if i sold it with the hardtop and everything id have about $15-16...i can pick up a completed FD Ls1 for 18-22...so regardless it's about an even trade off, even possibly being cheaper then forced induction on my S.

Reliability, even with the LS, is still not going to be the same as a much newer Honda. There is also probably going to be issues with the swap, not as much as you'd have with the stock motor, but some regardless.

I honestly think for the most part, an N/A ls1 would be alot more reliable / trouble free then a turbo S...depending on the specs of the turbo build of course...but if say you wanted to get to near the performance level of the FD ls1, it would be like night and day.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel like you can build an extremely reliable turbo s2k from either the inline or the kraftswerks kit. IIRC from my research while looking for an lS1 FD, the LS1 does not upset the handling, contrary to popular belief. It is actually a really light engine, as you mentioned. However, before anything, I'd suggest you try to find one local enough with an owner at least willing to let you test ride in it.

With a thought out build, a turbo s2k can be just as trouble free. The plus side is the fact that you built it and you know exactly what went into it and where you cut corners (if any). From experience, unless you know exactly how the car was built and the reputation of the person who built it, you tend to inherit a lot of headache from buying what I would consider a highly modded car. I don't know the seller, nor do I have I researched this particular car, but a price like 20K when I know the market value of such cars, leads me to question the quality of the swap/build.

Plus, you retain creature comforts like AC that most LS1 FDs do not have.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

One word: No
Old 05-11-2008, 07:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i drove a 93 RX7 with LS1 swap, the motor had cams and bolt-ons and tune; the car was good for 120mph+ trap.

as already said, it's an old car and you can definitely feel it. the interior is kind of squeaky and the bushings in the suspension are old. my particular car was extremely well kept, and the owner was actually one of the first people to figure out how to wire up everything correctly for the LSx into FD swap, but the car still felt too old for my taste. this swapped FD had powersteering and a/c.

an important note is i've never driven a rotary FD, so i can't comment on the weight distribution aspect. however IIRC a while ago i think it was super street? that wrote an article on an LS1 FD owning up some motorsports competition, and they went in depth into the weight differences between rotary/LS1 and for the respective trannys as well, the conclusion was the weight distribution was barely changed, and LSx made the FD haul absolute ass. with that much INSTANT torque at the stab of the throttle, fat tires on the rear are all you need to have a killer car on the track.

the car felt very balanced in the corners, but the owner told me the steering rack bushings were worn, so the steering response was subpar. i compared the car in the corners to the ap1 a lot since my brother has one, and maybe it's due to the age of the chassis, the FD felt lazy and "loose" compared to the s2000, which is razor blade sharp in comparison (however the s2000 is just that sharp compared to every car i've ever driven)

another note is i did not particularly like the "laziness" of the v8...i'm not sure you know what i mean, but the v8 didn't rev quick and just felt "lazy", even though it absolutely hauled scary ass on the highway; it's the fastest car i've driven to date.

the shifting for the tranny is really truck-like, i did not like that either.

in short i chose to swap an USDM sti powertrain into an older impreza body. the Impreza chassis is 7 years newer, and the powertrain is 2004 or newer. plus all the parts bolt on to the chassis without needing fabrications...for me the amount of work necessary to make a LSx swap into an FD warrants too many possible little hiccups down the road...

my car drives like it came from the factory, and the LS1 FD felt like a swapped car during the test drive.

this is all i can remember about the test drive atm, will update more if i remember more.

edit: my thoughts on the OP is that if it's more low end torque you're after, slap on a bolt-on turbo kit and leave the stock PSI alone, that should add some oomph in the lower rpm spectrum while still being reliable. otherwise get a factory turbo car that's not 2.0L turbo (evo); the mazdaspeed 3 and STi are both decent and respond well to mods. or just get a c5 vette which is light and has the LS1 in it, or get a c6 (my next car )
Old 05-11-2008, 09:45 PM

buy an inline pro kit and call it a day, get it installed properly and a headgasket if you want high boost but still run safely, plenty of cars with 100k or more miles just put on the kit and its been fine just do your reg. maintenance and watch it a little bit more , reliability comes down to a good install, tune, and maintenance imo, you take the time to do those 3 well and it will not stress you out as it may seem

Quick Reply: Replace s2000 with LS FD RX7?