Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Road and Track on Mustangs

Old 03-12-2005, 08:10 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Road and Track on Mustangs

This months issue of Road and Track has a great Mustang comparo between stock Mustangs and Tuner cars. The stock GT produced some amazing numbers for 0 to 60 (4.9 ) and 1/4 mile (13.5 ). The Steeda and Saleen cars were lucky to keep even. Road and Track commented three times in the article that this particular test Mustang was .4 seconds faster in both catagories than the first new Mustang they tested. The pondered that it may because this test car was broken in. But they kept calling it "supernatural" and that made me wonder if R&T suspected they had a ringer.

I wonder if the larger wheels and tires on the tuner cars solwed down their acceleration times. While the Steeda and Saleen car cornered better, I couldn't help but wonder if the larger and probably heavier wheel tire package sapped the HP gains the tuners had installed.

Anyway, more respect for the Ford Pony car seems to be in order. The article also pointed out that the Mustang 4.6 8 responds well to bolt on mods.

Anyone else see the article?
Old 03-12-2005, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But what is the build quality? It's great if it can do 0-60, but if it falls apart a year later with typical ford quality, then who cares
Old 03-12-2005, 09:19 PM

I read the article, the new stang is producing ridiculous numbers with mild mods it is getting ridiculous quarter mile times, but alas it is a ford and in fact a brand new ford which has tons of kinks, spend some time on a mustang board and you will see it is covered in problems with the 05, primarily the gas tank issue but many more problems that the ford mechanics dont know how to fix, Basically im not going to jump on its bandwagon until another year or so, or maybe until the new cobra is unveiled
Old 03-12-2005, 10:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

But what is the build quality? It's great if it can do 0-60, but if it falls apart a year later with typical ford quality, then who cares
Eh, I had a 98 Cobra that had zero problems in a year and 17k miles of abuse. None. Mine is not an unusual experience, I know plenty of people with high mileage fords (my father and his pickup for one) who have had zero issues.

It saddens me when I read ignorant spew like yours, but it does not surprise me given the board we are on. That said, it is unfortunate that your presumably zero experience based statements will be taken to heart by some equally clueless kid who will repeat your anti-domestic mantra in future threads. Thus the cycle of stupidity repeats itself.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by steve c,Mar 12 2005, 11:11 PM
Eh, I had a 98 Cobra that had zero problems in a year and 17k miles of abuse. None. Mine is not an unusual experience, I know plenty of people with high mileage fords (my father and his pickup for one) who have had zero issues.

It saddens me when I read ignorant spew like yours, but it does not surprise me given the board we are on. That said, it is unfortunate that your presumably zero experience based statements will be taken to heart by some equally clueless kid who will repeat your anti-domestic mantra in future threads. Thus the cycle of stupidity repeats itself.
I agree steve, I owned a stang for 6 years and had zero problems, but the problems with the 05 are plentiful.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:48 PM

My dad's 1995 F-150 stood up to 9 years of day in/day out construction site abuse and 225K miles before the engine finally went. He put a new one in and got an E-350 for work as well. My 38K miles SVT Focus is holding up just fine.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:43 PM

Old 03-12-2005, 11:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the opposite experience had a 2001 Mustang GT had several problems with it. Before that my family had a Ford Thunderbird, & Ford Taurus. I will never buy another Ford again.

BTW, when they dynoed the Mustang GT in the article it dynoed in the high 260's which is very high for a supposedly 300 hp car. I think they are fudging (in a good way) their #'s or they indeed had a ringer. This months MM&FF got the Mustang GT to 12.45 with gears, slicks, & a few other parts. Without major parts getting a car to the mid 12's is damn impressive. That being said I think I would still get a 05' GTO (and strap an SC to it later).
Old 03-13-2005, 12:01 AM
ttb

you can't fault people...ford has ranked pretty bad in quality/reliability....

remember when their motto was "quality is job 1"

then they dropped it.....
Old 03-13-2005, 04:27 AM

Ford has abysmal quality. period. Just look at the statistics.
Sure, some people have had 0 problems with their fords but try telling that to my friend's dad. He has a 2001 Focus and has probably has everything go wrong on him since he bought the car new in 01. His car is a total piece of crap in every way. My friend had a 1996 Mustang GT convertible and it was always in the shop getting repaired. Total piece of crap also.
Ford is subpar when it comes to reliability.

Quick Reply: Road and Track on Mustangs