Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

RX8 auto

Old 12-12-2010, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX8 auto

RX8 MY04-05
automatic transmission

are these reliable? what goes bad on them? what are highlights? what are lowlights?

any other ideas as a comparable car?
Old 12-12-2010, 12:59 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL...just read yesterday or the day before on Forbes that the RX-8 topped the list for worst selling cars in 2010. Down by over 50%.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:03 PM

Also one of the ugliest cars of 2010 according to Forbes:

http://www.forbes.com/2010/12/01/ugliest-c...gn_slide_7.html

Personally I think that they look alright:

Old 12-12-2010, 01:08 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha, funny how Forbes is like some auto source, LOL!

The RX-8 just doesn't do anything particularly well, right? I test drove one years back when they first launched and was horrifically disappointed.

I wouldn't say they look ugly...but they just seem so commonplace. A car that simply makes you go, "Meh."
Old 12-12-2010, 01:09 PM

The RX-8 is a great car! It combines the performance of a economy car, the utility of a sports car and the fuel economy of an SUV!
Old 12-12-2010, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by ElTianti,Dec 12 2010, 02:09 PM
The RX-8 is a great car! It combines the performance of a economy car, the utility of a sports car and the fuel economy of an SUV!
hahahahaahah that made me laugh pretty good.

this car would be for my wife. She wants a "sporty" car. she doesn't know how, nor does she have any desire to learn stick, she doesn't drive fast, we don't haul things with our own vehicles that much any ways. So basically, how much should I anticipate throwing away in repairs.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by ElTianti,Dec 12 2010, 04:09 PM
It combines the performance of a economy car
Even more so with the automatic. I'm fairly sure that they gave it a less powerful engine than with the manual.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by stauren1203,Dec 12 2010, 06:18 PM
hahahahaahah that made me laugh pretty good.

this car would be for my wife. She wants a "sporty" car. she doesn't know how, nor does she have any desire to learn stick, she doesn't drive fast, we don't haul things with our own vehicles that much any ways. So basically, how much should I anticipate throwing away in repairs.
I've never driven one. Two of the guys at work have. They say it's a lacking in grunt, but it's fun to string out, and it handles well. Most of the reviews really praise it's handling. It makes sense. Lightweight, low center of gravity, not much weight towards the front of rear of the car.

It's not going to get good fuel economy, and you'll have to add a quart of oil every couple months or so (they burn oil by design). As long as you don't care about the fuel economy it's probably exactly what you're looking for. That said, RWD might get your wife in trouble. Have you considered something FWD like the Mini Cooper?
Old 12-12-2010, 01:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The auto RX-8 has a lower redline, because they didn't have an auto transmission that could go to 8500 rpm so it has 20 less hp.

Horsepower
- Manual transmission 232 hp @ 8500 rpm
- Automatic transmission 212 hp @ 7500 rpm

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPag...vehicleCode=RX8
Old 12-12-2010, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by tarheel91,Dec 12 2010, 02:30 PM
I've never driven one. Two of the guys at work have. They say it's a lacking in grunt, but it's fun to string out, and it handles well. Most of the reviews really praise it's handling. It makes sense. Lightweight, low center of gravity, not much weight towards the front of rear of the car.

It's not going to get good fuel economy, and you'll have to add a quart of oil every couple months or so (they burn oil by design). As long as you don't care about the fuel economy it's probably exactly what you're looking for. That said, RWD might get your wife in trouble. Have you considered something FWD like the Mini Cooper?
We did look at a mini, but she really wants something "sporty". To her, a mini is "cute" but not "sporty"

She does not drive much so gas mileage isnt a HUGE deal to us. and she literally does not at all drive when there is snow on the ground, so the RWD thing isnt as big of a deal. This is exactly the type of information I am looking for. If anyone has more info like this, let me know.

I appreciate it

Quick Reply: RX8 auto