Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Is S2000 Honda's last great, fun car?

Old 04-19-2013, 04:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope you're right. As you can tell, I am a big Ferrari fan, but also a HUGE Honda fan. owned 4 Hondas, Acuras in my life, and I'm "only" 34.

hope Honda gets back on track soon
Old 04-19-2013, 05:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Guess I'm just not a big NSX fan. I guess when it first came out it was a great performer for its time but as Honda usually fails to increase performance and stay competitive the car loses its edge if it ever has one. Same way the s2k started out on top and Honda failed to increase performance making it no longer competitive.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Moddiction
Guess I'm just not a big NSX fan. I guess when it first came out it was a great performer for its time but as Honda usually fails to increase performance and stay competitive the car loses its edge if it ever has one. Same way the s2k started out on top and Honda failed to increase performance making it no longer competitive.

I do agree somewhat with what you're saying. The NSX, at the time, was a breakthough, for ease of use, reliability, and performance (at the time), and being all-aluminum and mid-engined, handled great. of course, even a V6 sedan today may have more HP than an NSX. i think the NSX has taken on a mythical status in many people's minds.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:06 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mchi5
Originally Posted by Moddiction' timestamp='1366376711' post='22484727

I do agree somewhat with what you're saying. The NSX, at the time, was a breakthough, for ease of use, reliability, and performance (at the time), and being all-aluminum and mid-engined, handled great. of course, even a V6 sedan today may have more HP than an NSX. i think the NSX has taken on a mythical status in many people's minds.

The S2000 will be the last great (affordable) Honda sports car. My wife and I are interested in the new NSX, but it will be out of the reach of most people.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:22 AM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

To be honest I'm glad they don't still produce the S2000. If they did then I would be tempted to buy a new one every few years. It's really great having the best iteration of a car and not worrying about it being out of date. As for a new performance Honda: I'm sure the S2000 won't be Honda's last. It's only been like...5 years since they stopped producing it. Development takes time!
Old 04-19-2013, 06:54 AM

Rumor has a new convertible coming from Honda in 2014 (Japan only?). The concept photos are out there. With the Modulo S2000 or whatever it was released a few months ago I would expect a new convertible coming soon. All of the American manufacturers are adding new sports cars and so did Toyota/Subaru so I would expect Honda to have something in store.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

If/when they make it and if nice I really hope it has a strong forged internals motor to handle a good amount of boost cause I have a feeling it will be quite underpowered when it comes out which is definitely Honda's m.o.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:04 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Moddiction
It re-shaped the super car industry. For almost 20 years it held a price point, performance and reliability few could achieve. Name one car that was as nicely built that was better? Nothing from Italy or Germany was as reliable. Sure the GTR now is faster but it's also heavy.

The NSX was the platform bread from F1, tuned and refined by legend Sena (RIP). Launching new tech never before seen in a production car. I'm not sure how old you are, but in the 90's everyone was playing catch up. What others have said is correct and I politely think you're out to lunch

What I think is missed here, is few cars get such attention. What other maker had F1 driver feedback for a product car?

All of this mind you from a v6! Are we forgetting it had a very under powered motor in there by today's standards?

OP - by the fact you're attempting to perdict the future you are ensuring honda will produce the car we all want. The global economy sucks. Wait till it recovers.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:19 AM

To be honest, 'fun' is in the eye of the be-holder. Any factory-car with a sports-tuned suspension on a tight track is going to be fun for me.
With that being said, Honda's current fun car is the Civic SI. I'm not saying it stacks up against the S2K but the SI is still fun.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by SkiLLeDS2000
Originally Posted by mchi5' timestamp='1366377707' post='22484743
[quote name='Moddiction' timestamp='1366376711' post='22484727']

The S2000 will be the last great (affordable) Honda sports car. My wife and I are interested in the new NSX, but it will be out of the reach of most people.[/quote]

i could afford the new NSX, but not even remotely interested. If anyone watches Top Gear UK, James May has been famously quoted as saying that fun cars you just get, because they "give you that FIZZ in your privates.!" and the NSX, so far, doesn't give me any FIZZ at all. For the same price, I'd rather get a low mileage Ferrari F430 any day of the week...

Quick Reply: Is S2000 Honda's last great, fun car?