Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Second Child on the way, do I need a 3 row SUV?

Old 08-03-2016, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marioshi
In my humble childless opinion, a minivan is going to be my choice when number 2 comes around. If you look at interior space vs exterior dimensions, it's the clear winner. People always assume you get a lot of space in a 3 row, but I think some 2 rows actually are more accommodating because they aren't trying to cram those extra seats in there, and even when stowed, those seats take up some space.

Yeah, totally agree. For space efficiency you really can't beat a minivan. The funny thing is now I'm more ok with getting a minivan than my wife, and I'm the car guy! How children change your priorities

As far as a three row SUV I'm liking the Highlander. I've been reading great things about the Pilots, but they're huge and shaped too much like a bar of soap. I like the looks of the Highlander, but though the third row is much smaller. But as mentioned in another post I think a lot of the time we'd use the third row folded down for storage space and only use the seats for short trips with people crammed back there.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:31 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

I would say for right now you don't need that much space. Later on, when the kids are getting older and you have to haul their friends around on occasion, you probably will need it.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:45 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

We bought an MDX. Two kids don't need a third row, but if you want to move 4 adults plus the kid you can put the 2 kids in the 3rd row. The 3rd row is hard for a large adult.

Cannot beat the AWD on it. Cheap to run. We bought a CPO.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:51 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

FWIW, a friend has an older MDX (without a 3rd row) and puts 3 child seats across the middle row. It's definitely doable, just depends on what you want. No one NEEDS a giant 3 row SUV or a minivan, but the space is certainly nice.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A 3rd row isn't necessary at all. I have a 7 and 5 year old and the family fits just fine in our DC Tacoma and our Forester. We recently took the Forester on a road trip across the state and it did really well with all our luggage and kids stuff in the back. Heck, we even brought our little min pin along with us and all his stuff too, and it was just enough room. Had we been in the truck, we'd have room to spare in the bed.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:52 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WRX2S2K
Originally Posted by Marioshi' timestamp='1470240657' post='24031383
In my humble childless opinion, a minivan is going to be my choice when number 2 comes around. If you look at interior space vs exterior dimensions, it's the clear winner. People always assume you get a lot of space in a 3 row, but I think some 2 rows actually are more accommodating because they aren't trying to cram those extra seats in there, and even when stowed, those seats take up some space.

Yeah, totally agree. For space efficiency you really can't beat a minivan. The funny thing is now I'm more ok with getting a minivan than my wife, and I'm the car guy! How children change your priorities

As far as a three row SUV I'm liking the Highlander. I've been reading great things about the Pilots, but they're huge and shaped too much like a bar of soap. I like the looks of the Highlander, but though the third row is much smaller. But as mentioned in another post I think a lot of the time we'd use the third row folded down for storage space and only use the seats for short trips with people crammed back there.
A minivan is indispensable for a growing family. One thing that is often overlooked besides the space a van offers is the low step in height and ingress the sliding doors offer. Try putting a child into their seat in an SUV when someone has parked close to you and you cannot fully open the door. We have had Odyssey's for years and will likely have one for quite a few more because they are so damn practical.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:03 AM

Received 1,115 Likes on 993 Posts

Honda Odyssey
Old 08-03-2016, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zdave87
Honda Odyssey
What he said

We have only 1 kid (but we sometimes travel with 6 adults and a kid) and the Ody has been great. I can't imagine doing that in a MDX, or MB R-class, or Mazda or highlander, etc. (those are the ones i test drove before)
Old 08-03-2016, 04:04 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

We have done 4 adults, 1 child and 2 dogs with lugguage for a weekend in a MDX

Minivans are horrible
Old 08-03-2016, 04:22 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

We had a minivan before we even had kids. We had two, hundred lb dogs and as they got older a minivan was better. We have had an odyssey with all of our kids, 2 different Odysseys actually and may have one after all our kids are gone. They are versatile, low to the ground and the good ones drive more like cars than suvs. I would highly recommend one.

I've have a Crv too and only when the kids could get themselves in and out did I ever take them in it. Once you have sliding doors (with children) anything less will not make any sense to you.

My in laws have a pilot. It's big enough for two kids, but the mini van is more comfortable, much more useable room, quieter, drives better, gets better mpg...

Quick Reply: Second Child on the way, do I need a 3 row SUV?