Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Should I fix and ship S2k or buy a new car?

Old 07-31-2016, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are what I'm looking at buying and they're horrible compared to the shape mine were in:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-06-HOND...1XfZau&vxp=mtr

Just thinking out loud here. Are there any racing seats I could get that work with stock seat belts, and then down the line I could install a roll bar and harness?
Old 07-31-2016, 10:46 AM

Received 1,146 Likes on 1,008 Posts

I give my car's names too! Doesn't every one? I rejected the name Brad as too many other guys were using it.

The S2000 is The Honda and sometimes The Little Car. The Expedition is either The Ford but more often The Truck.

I just put a new serpentine belt onBrad The Honda this morning while waiting for The Keurig to make coffee -- OK, it wasn't quite that fast but no more than 5 minutes since the OEM air box isn't there,

-- Chuck
Old 07-31-2016, 11:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're looking into getting aftermarket seats now would be a good time. Personally I like the stock ones, it's tough to find a set of OEM's in really nice shape for the right year and color though, could potentially be a long wait. You could see if they'd be able to come up with a reasonable estimate for the damages (say $6,000-$8,000?). Then you could buy aftermarket seats of your choice and have a Robbins top installed at a reputable shop/authorized dealer that warranties their work (not Honda for the Robbins top). If you didn't like the aftermarket seats later down the road you could trade or sell for nice OEM's when you find them. In this scenario you should come out on top (granted they give you more than enough to cover the above).

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/644...ock-seat-belt/

Old 07-31-2016, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by EricJT7
Given the situation, I'd let the insurance co. total the car, just make sure to fight for market value as they'll try to lowball.

Might consider buying back the car if it's dirt cheap, but otherwise pass because the value will be lower once the title is branded.

Also, about how many miles on your red '08 or '09? I know they're worth a pretty penny, one of the few cars I would think might have a shot at not being totaled in this scenario.
Don't worry Eric, I'm one of those people that doesn't mind reading lengthy posts. Before you edited it, I thought you made very good points. It's a MY07 with 69k miles. At first they didn't want to total it, but if you factor in that you can't get the seats unless they're new, I told them to reconsider so they told me they will reinspect the car for a new estimate.

EDIT - They thought the seats would be $600 but that was used AP1 seats. Honda priced out the parts and labor at 11k, for just the seats. I'm still stunned.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:21 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Maze2k
I agree Saki. I'm moving to the bay area and there's this nice little forest road by the town La Honda(lol) that I drove my sister's 2004 civic on, and I kept thinking "The civic still handles great here, but man if I had my car...".

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.' timestamp='1469989050' post='24029259
What the hell is a Sakura?
I give my cars that I really like names from their country of origin and starting with the letter of their model name. I would have called her Sakuranbo "cherry" instead of Sakura "cherry blossom" but that wouldn't sound right.

Ahh, I misread. I thought that was like the über tight JDM yo secret chassis code, like all the kids use for the Corollas and Silvias.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:00 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by EricJT7' timestamp='1469993766' post='24029293
Given the situation, I'd let the insurance co. total the car, just make sure to fight for market value as they'll try to lowball.

Might consider buying back the car if it's dirt cheap, but otherwise pass because the value will be lower once the title is branded.

Also, about how many miles on your red '08 or '09? I know they're worth a pretty penny, one of the few cars I would think might have a shot at not being totaled in this scenario.
Don't worry Eric, I'm one of those people that doesn't mind reading lengthy posts. Before you edited it, I thought you made very good points. It's a MY07 with 69k miles. At first they didn't want to total it, but if you factor in that you can't get the seats unless they're new, I told them to reconsider so they told me they will reinspect the car for a new estimate.

EDIT - They thought the seats would be $600 but that was used AP1 seats. Honda priced out the parts and labor at 11k, for just the seats. I'm still stunned.
And this is the reason why they have rebuilt titles on stolen/recovery/stolen seat S2K's. Don't forget the $2K soft top replacement.

I would just buy it back at salvage price and install some used seats and have the top replaced, you will know the car's lineage and most likely pocket some $$$.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EricJT7' timestamp='1469993766' post='24029293

Oops I apologize for changing my post so many times. Stinks to be in your situation with no car, dang thieves.. hope something falls from the sky and hits them on their p.o.s. heads (which are probably messed up from too many drugs).

Not that it would make a difference for where you are right now in this situation, I'd say weigh all the options and do what seems like the most sense for you and what seems fair--on your end, not just the insurance's. Wish you a good move and journey to the west coast and beautiful sunny California!

MY 07 also very nice year! I didn't read enough the first time around. I'd say go with another S2000 over the cars you listed, assuming you find one reasonably priced down in California (they tend to be more expensive there), but I'm bias haha. At the same time I've had a craze lately for a new Camaro SS, and would love to get into a new 1LE if I could afford to, except that I can't. Also still considering a new WRX and getting out of the sports car thing (well kind of), but I do know to expect to lose a lot of fun factor, and probably even some with the Camaro as I truly think the S2000 is more fun to drive than most cars twice the price because it is. If the WRX were as good or better looking than the 2011-2014 wide body I probably would go with one for the practicality, again not expecting it to be as fun as the S2000. Maybe once I sell my ap1 I can afford to look into getting a semi-fun (using fun loosely) daily I can drive to the mountain trailheads, rainy and icy days in the winter, and to work and back on a regular basis. Better yet would be cutting back the time it takes me to post and enjoying the sunshine. Whatever makes you live life to the fullest, that's usually the right answer..as I'm finding out now in my 30's.

Note: that does NOT include breaking into cars, pretty much the exact opposite spectrum. Wish there were a time you could just go and leave your car anywhere and not worry about it until coming back *regardless of what you're driving because in a world of honest people it wouldn't matter.., but we are a long ways from that still, if ever. That's why comprehensive is so important on the S2000 and many others. At least you're covered, a much lesser inconvenience than if you had to cover the entire repair out of pocket! There's my typical long style essay type post. Rambling on.. why don't most women want to give me a second date? I think I'm starting to see what they see.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:54 AM

I decided to keep my car without totaling it. I told Allstate that I want to buy those ebay seats to send to Honda. They can install the top and then I'll have the seats reupholstered afterwards. If I decide down the line to get rid of my car, I want to do it on my own terms, not by the will of thieves.

edit - We're getting reupholstered seats, to save time. This fiasco is one step closer to being over.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:22 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Get some Recaros or Brides
Old 08-01-2016, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Get some Recaros or Brides
I already made the calls and everything, but do you mean GT seats or race seats? I wanted the oem seats really, and race seats would need a roll bar and harness right? I've read not to use them with oem seatbelts.

Quick Reply: Should I fix and ship S2k or buy a new car?