Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Solstice too small...damn.

Old 07-13-2005, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vio,Jul 13 2005, 08:34 AM
Boo Hoo
While the rack would be fine for cars like the Miata and the S2000, it would not work too well for the Solstice. Once you put any luggage on the rack, you cannot operate the convertable top (either open or close) because the trunk lid must be lifted to allow the top to move, and the added weight of the luggage on the trunk lid would probably be too much for the motors. The Miata and S2000 tops operate without having to open the trunk lid, so the rack would work fine.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:41 AM

Its it a little premature to be saying the miata will be the better car? Has anyone driven both the new soltice and the new miata?

Everything that is being said here is subjective. Its one person's opinion. I heard alot about how people hated the 300C and how ugly it was and that it would flop, ect... and they can't make them fast enough. My point is, even though you may not like the product, inevitably someone else will, and if they are willing to part with their money for that particular product, than that is their perogative.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:01 PM

Received 428 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Anrosphynx,Jul 13 2005, 12:41 PM
Its it a little premature to be saying the miata will be the better car? Has anyone driven both the new soltice and the new miata?
The Solstice may turn out to be a better car, but the fact that it has about the same power as the Miata, has a few hundred extra pounds, and the Miata has been generally excepted as a fine cheap roadster with constant improvement over the years just means GM has its work cut out for it.

I don't think it is a slam dunk for the Miata, but I would be very surprised if GM produced a superior car with the short development time and aiming at a fairly high target. Maybe it will be a really pleasant surprise.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:19 PM

Just reading the forum that goes with that picture of the golf clubs it seems like a lot of people were concerned with this problem. I'd really like to see a picture with the golf clubs and the top down because from what I saw yesterday, I still can't believe that even one bag will fit without damaging the top. Somebody in my building has a solstice and I'll see if I can track them down tonight.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by silversprint,Jul 12 2005, 09:35 PM
I'm holding on to my S2k until late 2006 early 2007 when the next Toyota Supra will come out. It will a 350hp convertible designed to compete with the s2000 in price.
Supra, hah! That's a good one!

Seriously, I've heard "next year for sure" since the last one was killed off.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, there is a reason these aren't in full rate production.... So what if they sold out the first year, they aren't fully available to the public yet. They guys around the GM test labs are talking about serious top problems (the guys driving the Solistices marked "engineering"). I think they may have them fixed, but you don't see too many with the top down at the tech center.

In the end I think GM will make a lot of money off of them. However, what will the build quality be?

Also, do we really care? I for one am not threatened by this car one bit. Kudos for trying GM...
Old 07-13-2005, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by mav,Jul 13 2005, 05:04 AM
Actually I prefer the Nissan Titan or Honda Ridgeline over the domestic offerings.
It depends on what you want a truck for. Honda, Nissan, and Toyota make nice light to mid-duty trucks that are friendly in other ways (like having 4 doors and needing little maintenance).

If you have a multi-horse trailer, there's little competition.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:11 PM

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

same thing with the Lotus Elise, very little usable room yet no one is complaining.

why? is it b/c one is a GM and one is a Lotus?
Old 07-13-2005, 05:21 PM
Community Organizer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Here are finally some pics from an owner...

Click

Here is a thread discussing the top AND the bump in the trunk... which I have not seen anyone mention this but think about the NSX... the spare is under that cover.

Click!

Interesting quotes:

Autoweek:

Quote:
Before letting us slip in behind the wheel, the GM engineers folded down the mechanical top. The process starts by twisting a latch on the inside that releases the top from the header, and then opening the trunk in reverse fashion. There are a couple of wings at the rear of the top that fold inward, and then you're ready to fold the top down into the trunk. After the top is stowed, the trunk lid can be closed and the finished look is clean with no need for a boot.

Car and Driver:

Quote:
The joy of other Solstice elements, however, remains to be seen. For example, the convertible top will need considerable work to make it a user-friendly device. It's distinguished by a flat-glass rear window and flying buttresses snugged down atop the teardrop fairings that extend behind the headrests and rollover bars, eventually blending down into the deck. Stowing the top entails some complicated folding before the whole business disappears beneath the rear-hinged decklid.

Another interesting thread with pics..
Click!

You guys will love this one... its about the S2000...
Click!
Old 07-13-2005, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by S2020,Jul 13 2005, 06:11 PM
same thing with the Lotus Elise, very little usable room yet no one is complaining.

why? is it b/c one is a GM and one is a Lotus?
It's just strange that they would do something so bone-headed, considering that the C5/C6 for example has more useful trunk space than a lot of mid-size sedans. As for the Elise, well it's a hell of a lot more expensive, it isn't a roadster, and was never meant to have an ounce of practicality in the first place.

I remember when the MR-S came out and according to specs it had more storage volume than the Miata, except that instead of a (albeit small) trunk space it had a bunch of separate, small compartments that were pretty useless. That was one major reason why I never considered an MR-S. The Miata has shite for a trunk but it's pretty handy despite the size...

Quick Reply: Solstice too small...damn.