Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Solstice too small...damn.

Old 07-14-2005, 11:57 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Anrosphynx,Jul 14 2005, 01:37 AM
what dealership are you passing that has these soltices on their lots?? they aren't scheduled for release until september!...
Long Island dealers have soltice's in stock. Looks like stock anyway. They might be demo models, but they do have them. Ill swing by and snap some pics.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Hoth,Jul 14 2005, 12:51 PM
Well, you can still go to play golf with your clubs but your you need to rent some clubs for your date at the proshop, cus the Solstice's trunk is freakishly too small!

Had you read the linked thread on the Solstice forum, you would know that they already have determined that you CAN fit two sets of golf clubs in the Solstice's trunk, as long as the top is up.

Andrew
Old 07-14-2005, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by DJRobNM,Jul 14 2005, 12:34 PM
After the buzz dies out, so will the sales. Miata has lowered its price to match the Solstice and all the irrational exhuberance around it has boosted its price.

The only reason I've started this thread is because GM has fumbled the ball again. The only thing they can get right is the corvette and on that car the lease payments are a joke. The GTO is a good performance deal but it looks like shit and they introduced it in the middle of winter.

The media blitz around this car should have happened in the fall of last year, not the spring of this year and they should have had 10,000 ready to go. GM makes the same amount of money regardless of what markup the dealers charge so what makes more sense for GM? Sell 1,000 cars or 10,000 cars?

Now I find out that after all this bullshit hype dies that the car will still be inadequate for my needs. Not because I need it as an only car (I have an FX45 and a Scion Tc) but because I need it to carry the slightest amount of luggage or clubs to accomodate the kind of trips one would make in a two seat raodster.

I'm pissed.
In the short time I have been reading this forum, I have noticed that many posters seem to go out of their way to badmouth American vehicles.

This thread seems like one of those occasions. Your thread premise seems very thinly veiled. I say that primarily because I find it laughable that the enthusiast owner of a $32,000, 240HP S2000 would be seriously considering trading it for a $20,000, 170HP Solstice. The only thing MORE laughable about that premise is the idea that that same poster would rule out the Solstice as an S2000-replacement based mainly on, of all things... cargo capacity?!?

Andrew
Old 07-15-2005, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by aklucsarits,Jul 14 2005, 05:24 PM
In the short time I have been reading this forum, I have noticed that many posters seem to go out of their way to badmouth American vehicles.

This thread seems like one of those occasions. Your thread premise seems very thinly veiled. I say that primarily because I find it laughable that the enthusiast owner of a $32,000, 240HP S2000 would be seriously considering trading it for a $20,000, 170HP Solstice. The only thing MORE laughable about that premise is the idea that that same poster would rule out the Solstice as an S2000-replacement based mainly on, of all things... cargo capacity?!?

Andrew
The guy said "I'm pissed" at the end.

Obviously he cares.

Just because GM's car designs and marketing rub people the wrong way and they voice their opinions doesn't mean they badmouth GM.

So what are they suppose to say?

"Solstice, GM's answer to foreign two seater convertibles, it is cheaper, less power and a lot less cargo room and we love it!"

Ok, that is not badmouthing GM then, but it sounds kind of weird....
Old 07-15-2005, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by aklucsarits,Jul 14 2005, 05:24 PM

Andrew
You find it hard to believe that I would want to spend $20,000 on a two seat roadster that I think is better looking than the s2000 instead of $33,000 on a newer version of a car I've already had?

If this is so, than I fully believe that you may be confused about the differece between variances in cargo space volume and total lack therof.

I live in Detroit. The property value of my house depends on the Big 3. I wish I could go in there and say here, you need to fix this. When I owned american vehicles I would do all the focus groups to tell them what they are doing wrong. I gave Lincoln my navigator for a full day so they could look at the mods I had made. I was the one who suggested the monochromatic paint scheme on later model navigators. I've tried.

All I've seen lately from the big 3 is average designs, poor launches, and horrible lease rates. I am frustrated that I have to buy an inferior car for more money to support my country. If they were on even keel or even close, I would buy american all day. I'm not bashing, I'm just finding out why we are losing. Maybe posting on a Honda website isn't the best place to vent this stuff, but its the only car website I go to with the exception of the Infiniti sites.

My friend just leased a Cobalt and it is exactly like our Scion Tc, but slightly worse in every respect and it is costing him ~$40 more a month.

So with wanting to buy a new convertible, I've considered the Solstice, Mustang, S2000 and Corvette. It turns out that the lease rates on the "American" cars are just robbery to begin with, the corvette too expensive for a toy and now the solstice unable to function as basic transportation.

As I've said before, I'm left deciding between a mustang and a S2000 and I hope the lease rates for the mustang go down.

And as I said earlier, the Corvette is the best performance car for the dollar on Earth. The Japanese, Europeans can't even touch it. I just can't afford it as a toy. How's that for badmouthing.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:13 AM

I'm confused as the Solstice hasn't been released yet, and is only in pre-production, how can people own them and have tons in dealerships???
Old 07-15-2005, 09:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

exactly. i think they are just making it up. for what reason I have no idea. You have idiots saying they've driven the pre-production (yea right) and even the PRODUCTION version.

i would imagine a few dealers got a pre-production model to put in the showroom, though.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:56 AM

lol, they are bashing s2000's on their site. it is not hurtful at all, just funny. very funny !!!

i wish pontiac the best of luck for whatever they do with the car. i am just thankful i own my car. i hope one tries to race me on the street one day !

also, i am confused like Wing is on the availability of the car
Old 07-15-2005, 10:03 AM

OK, this guy said the 'electrics' are waiting to break in his new s2000, he can't wait to sell it....

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthr...66&page=4&pp=15

POSTED BY:

post #51 on the page... too funny
Old 07-15-2005, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by DJRobNM,Jul 15 2005, 11:47 AM
.... I gave Lincoln my navigator for a full day so they could look at the mods I had made. I was the one who suggested the monochromatic paint scheme on later model navigators. I've tried.

My friend just leased a Cobalt and it is exactly like our Scion Tc, but slightly worse in every respect and it is costing him ~$40 more a month.........
More power to you! I live in MA and there is no way I can participate any focus group for the big three unless they send people here to conduct some market research.

Personally, I want to own an American car without lowering my standard and paying more. When the day comes, I will be driving American!

For the meantime, my Japanese made S2000 will do.

Oh, the high depreciation rates of American cars has something to do with the high lease rates for American cars and trucks.

Quick Reply: Solstice too small...damn.