Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

soo close to getting a bike

Old 08-25-2011, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jwr0ng626
ninja's are eh.... i've never ridden one, but i've heard bad things about em. I'd stick with ur original choice of the cbr

i've rode the cbr, gsxr, r6 and a few others... all are fun bikes and have certain characteristics that make em all slightly different from each other, but since u already rode and fell in love w/ the cbr, i'd stick with it!
What's wrong with ninjas? I've had 2 so far, leaps and bounds better than the gsxrs. I have never had any issues out of mine. I can't really comment on the cbr. but I do have 2 buddies that have older ninjas, one is a 02 zx6r, has 120k miles on it, never had any issues. The other is a 05 636 and has almost 150k miles (rides it rain,shine,snow everyday), only thing ever replaced was the clutch once.

I owned a 08 ZZR600 (put 10k on it) and now own a 08 ZX10r (have 9k miles on it right now), no issues. Great bikes. My roomie has a 07 gsxr 600 and that thing always has something wrong with it. Nice bike and all, but I couldn't handle replacing stators and rectifiers every riding season. He's on his 3rd rectifier and 2nd stator. Plus numerous other parts here and there.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:14 PM

^damn! nicee

I was just basing my opinion from what i've heard... never rode one, but heard they are nothing but problems. Surprised to see bikes with such high mileage! I've had my 07 gsxr with no problems, only 6k miles tho. Probably what i've heard from other people are just opinions as well, sorry if I offended you

OP - anyways, ride safe! either bike you choose... im sure you'll have fun with
Old 08-30-2011, 06:44 AM

^damn! nicee

I was just basing my opinion from what i've heard... never rode one, but heard they are nothing but problems. Surprised to see bikes with such high mileage! I've had my 07 gsxr with no problems, only 6k miles tho. Probably what i've heard from other people are just opinions as well, sorry if I offended you

OP - anyways, ride safe! either bike you choose... im sure you'll have fun with
I guess it just depends on who owns the bikes and how well they are maintained. If the bikes are not maintained well then it doesn't matter what brand it is. All of the Jap bikes will last a long time if taken care of.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:48 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I ride an Interceptor and have been told they will go well over 100K miles with not much more than regular oil changes. Honda suggests valve adjustments on the Interceptor at 16K miles, but there are many out there over 50K miles without the valves being touched.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:01 AM

how often, if ever, do you guys perform a coolant change?

I believe mine is way overdue
Old 08-31-2011, 03:34 AM

My first bike I had was a raven black r6 loved that bike it was a great starter. Eventually I moved on to an r1 funny story was riding about two weeks ago I look down my stator literally had flames coming from it. So needless to say ill be the hunt for a new.rocket this winter. I'm thinkin outside the box this time though. Maybe a 848 or 1098. Love the ducati tones.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:36 PM

some dude wants to trade me an 06 r6 for my turbo kit plus 300 ontop what do you guys think about that?
Old 09-30-2011, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by vividracing.com
Please don't get a sport bike for your 1st. Get a Suzuki SV650 or a Ninja 250. Even a Ninja 650R would be a better beginners bike than a CBR600RR.
This.

I started on a Ninja 650 in high school. I rode with bigger bikes all of the time. People respected my decision. Less than a year after I bought it I sold it for the exact price I paid (mind you, I put 12k miles on it at least). I learned a ton from riding a slower bike. It's kind of like the S2000; it can't always keep up on the straights, but it can where it counts (in the corners).

And it's hard for us to help you with a decision. Some 06 R6's are good and some aren't. Without pics or history it's hard to say. Best thing to do is ride the bike you're going to buy first cause only you can tell if you like it.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:56 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

how often, if ever, do you guys perform a coolant change?

I believe mine is way overdue
Late reply...

I changed mine after 2 years as recommended in the owner's manual. I used a 5 year coolant and plan to change it at 5 years. Make sure you use the correct coolant. At least for Hondas, it needs to be silicate free. There are automotive coolants that meet this requirement.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by vividracing.com
Carbs are no big deal at all, as long as they're in good shape. If the bike sits for more than a few weeks without being started, they need a good cleaning. If it sits for a few months, better rebuild 'em. It only costs about $100 (for parts) usually, though. Choke is nothing to be scared of... In AZ, we only need the choke in the winter

With all that said... Please don't get a sport bike for your 1st. Get a Suzuki SV650 or a Ninja 250. Even a Ninja 650R would be a better beginners bike than a CBR600RR.

My first bike was a gsx650f. They are priced decent and reliable. A little on the heavy side, but I was alot more happier with it on the interstate with the extra weight. Was a great starter bike.

Quick Reply: soo close to getting a bike