Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

soo close to getting a bike

Old 03-25-2013, 05:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_K
Originally Posted by jwr0ng626' timestamp='1313206112' post='20873979
ninja's are eh.... i've never ridden one, but i've heard bad things about em. I'd stick with ur original choice of the cbr

i've rode the cbr, gsxr, r6 and a few others... all are fun bikes and have certain characteristics that make em all slightly different from each other, but since u already rode and fell in love w/ the cbr, i'd stick with it!
What's wrong with ninjas? I've had 2 so far, leaps and bounds better than the gsxrs. I have never had any issues out of mine. I can't really comment on the cbr. but I do have 2 buddies that have older ninjas, one is a 02 zx6r, has 120k miles on it, never had any issues. The other is a 05 636 and has almost 150k miles (rides it rain,shine,snow everyday), only thing ever replaced was the clutch once.

I owned a 08 ZZR600 (put 10k on it) and now own a 08 ZX10r (have 9k miles on it right now), no issues. Great bikes. My roomie has a 07 gsxr 600 and that thing always has something wrong with it. Nice bike and all, but I couldn't handle replacing stators and rectifiers every riding season. He's on his 3rd rectifier and 2nd stator. Plus numerous other parts here and there.
couldn't agree more ^..ive owned a suzuki gsxr 600 and will never go back to suzuki. I raced a 2006 R6 and loved the bike for the track after I put on wider clip-ons. never rode it on the street. Then i went to a 08 CBR 1000 which was a great bike. Honda always has a great fit and finish. They aren't ever really the fastest, or the best handling, or best brakes..but they are good at everything. Just a well built motorcycle. I have a 2011 Kawasaki zx10R now and hands down my favorite bike ive ridden/ owned. Ive rode a BMW S1000rr and I really just couldn't get over the fact that it felt very cheaply made IMO. You wont go wrong with the honda..and I have nothing bad to say about any of them except for suzuki.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by prowess
Originally Posted by vividracing.com' timestamp='1314205014' post='20909276
Please don't get a sport bike for your 1st. Get a Suzuki SV650 or a Ninja 250. Even a Ninja 650R would be a better beginners bike than a CBR600RR.
This.

I started on a Ninja 650 in high school. I rode with bigger bikes all of the time. People respected my decision. Less than a year after I bought it I sold it for the exact price I paid (mind you, I put 12k miles on it at least). I learned a ton from riding a slower bike. It's kind of like the S2000; it can't always keep up on the straights, but it can where it counts (in the corners).

And it's hard for us to help you with a decision. Some 06 R6's are good and some aren't. Without pics or history it's hard to say. Best thing to do is ride the bike you're going to buy first cause only you can tell if you like it.
There is nothing wrong with owning a sportbike for your first bike. If you can take your time and actually learn how to ride it and not be the guy who wants to show off how fast you think you can go then you'll be just fine. Buy what you want, but just dont let your ego take over when your saddled up. Take it slow and take your time. I believe an 06 R6 revs to about 18,000 rpm..powerband kicks around 13,000..just try to keep it under 8000 rpm for a while theres nothing to worry about..oh and dont slam on the brakes haah
Old 04-06-2013, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vividracing.com
Carbs are no big deal at all, as long as they're in good shape. If the bike sits for more than a few weeks without being started, they need a good cleaning. If it sits for a few months, better rebuild 'em. It only costs about $100 (for parts) usually, though. Choke is nothing to be scared of... In AZ, we only need the choke in the winter

With all that said... Please don't get a sport bike for your 1st. Get a Suzuki SV650 or a Ninja 250. Even a Ninja 650R would be a better beginners bike than a CBR600RR.
CBR600RR was my first bike. You'll get bored of a 250 real quick because of the lack of power. I'm ready to move onto a liter bike already
Old 04-09-2013, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't end up getting a 600 look into a wr250x or drz400sm. You'll have more fun on one of those than any other 250-300cc class bike
Old 04-25-2013, 08:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by insideoutoreo699
If you don't end up getting a 600 look into a wr250x or drz400sm. You'll have more fun on one of those than any other 250-300cc class bike

Excellent choices. I've owned almost a dozen sportbikes in the 23-years since I bought my first streetbike (I had a 98 ZX-7R, great machine), and my current motard is by far the most fun I've had on two wheels.

There's a lot more to your first bike than keeping it upright. Many rides have poor basic skills that are evident when they ride on a track or around experienced riders (mostly because they let their ego guide their first bike choice).

A "smaller" bike will teach you the subtle nuisances of performance riding that are impossible to learn if you're worried about remembering the basics on a more advanced machine.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:05 PM

Received 106 Likes on 82 Posts

The Ninja's are great bikes. I have a 2003 ZX9R and they are known to be ultra-reliable. A guy on the forum logged over 100k miles on his 9R. People are regularly getting 50k miles without even rebuilding the engine. My wife rides a 2009 Ninja-250 and it has been perfect for us as well. I rejetted the carbs on both bikes and they looked brand new inside when I took them apart (my 9R carbs were 9 years old at that point, and in the first 5 years the original owner put only 500 miles on the bike - yes, 5 HUNDRED). Don't let people scare you away from carb'd bikes. The fears are way overblown- "let it sit for a few weeks and they need cleaning... a few months and they need rebuild" is a complete joke. Our bikes are stored every winter. I add stabil at the last fill-up of the season and ride it home. I don't even bother to drain the carbs, figuring stabil has worked its way through the system. They fire up first crack in the spring every year. They cold-start just fine, and we let them idle to warm up while we are putting our gear on. We have only ever owned carb'd bikes, carb'd dirt bikes and even our quad is carb'd (KFX700).

I also owned a 2003 ZX7R for a short time. It was a low-mileage, mint condition original ('03 was the final year for the 9R/7R). I bought it to compliment my 9R. It is a great bike. The 7R has a cult following- people love 'em. My good friend has put over 35k miles on his 7R. These older bikes are heavier and slower than the modern day SS's, but plenty of fun and more than fast enough. I sold the 7R because it was incredibly uncomfortable to ride. The suspension was well tuned, but the riding position was too aggressive for me, and I immediately realized that I would much rather be riding my 9R, so I sold it. My friend has put 500 miles/day in on his 7R. I don't know how he does it on that bike. On the 9R, it is no problem for me. Bottom line: try to get some actual riding time on whatever machine you are considering buying, and try to ride other similar bikes for comparison. Today's SS's are torture racks IMO (we mostly ride >100 miles at a time).

Oh, and buy gear. Real gear.