Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Tell me about the MR 2 Spyder...

Old 08-06-2010, 09:45 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rockville,Aug 5 2010, 09:23 AM
It's not feline like the Miata...
Interesting. I've never thought of the Miata as feline-looking.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cbehney,Aug 6 2010, 09:45 AM
Interesting. I've never thought of the Miata as feline-looking.
I think of flowing car shapes such as many Jags as feline. The second generation had many smoothly flowing lines including rises over the front and rear fenders and the flair on the trunk lid. Some of the flowing shape of the 2nd generation car was hampered by the later headlights and the body kits. I can see some similarities between the XK8 and the second gen Miata. It seems very strong to me when I see the pair both in forest green with tan tops.

The third generation car went for a soap bar shape cut and interrupted by sharp creases and edges. The sharp edges and cut lines were there to remind of the first generation car but seemed to harshly applied rather than a natural application of function to a 1980s car.

The redesign of the third gen car seemed like a sloppy attempt to take a nose that was close yet so far from right and graft on the corporate nose which was wrong everywhere it was used. I wouldn't consider a Mazda3 or Mazda6 with the new nose. I liked the older versions.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Opinions vary but these are one of the few cars whose photos look better than the real deal in person to me. The slab sides turn me off and I always thought it was odd they didn't give it a better engine.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:13 AM

Love the 90-94(?) MR-2 Turbo...

Old 08-06-2010, 10:38 AM

Received 426 Likes on 300 Posts

Best car I ever owned.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by vader1,Aug 6 2010, 10:38 AM

Best car I ever owned.
My boss had one. Now he has a an '05 Prius.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by seung,Aug 5 2010, 11:59 AM
first off, not to be a nit-picker,
but it wEas called mr-s in japan, mr2 spyder in usa, mr2 roadster in europe.

i drove this car for about 2 weeks, because the kid who bought it in manual could not drive manual,
so he just let me borrow it in exchange for teaching him how.

from what i remember the highlight definitely was the handling- slightly lighter with slightly more power than the "nb" generation miata which it competed with, plus the mr layout helped the "go-kart" feeling of this car.
everything else felt just "okay" for what it is. because of the size and the weight it felt quicker than what it actually was.
some people added super charger kit to it and had more fun.
inside is pretty cheap, yards of plastic everywhere and cheap fabrics on the seats.

the part that i hated was the cargo space, which is pretty much non-existence.
you see, there was boxster and this, both are mr.
boxster you open the hood and you get a trunk, open the lid and you get another trunk.
this car you open the hood and i'm not exaggerating, you can barely fit the car's manual and you open the lid and you'll see the engine.
there are plastic lids behinds the seats and in there you can fit two backpacks at the most.
i know it's ironic to look for cargo space when i look at such a car but really, it was ridiculous.
Having owned one for two years, this sums it up. I'll add that the 1zz and the 5 speed are lifeless turds. Calling the 1zz "bulletproof" is hilarious. I did like the car more than the Miata, but there is essentially no aftermarket for the car, most parts are made by spyderchat.com forum members.
I know I wished for a 2zz swap every day I drove it.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:10 PM
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by sandiegan,Aug 5 2010, 07:23 PM
Swapping a 2ZZ is like home-making your own Elise
bwahahahahahaha
Old 08-06-2010, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked for one when I shopped for my first Miata. They all seemed over-priced, much more than otherwise comparable Miatas. I enjoyed the way they drove, though - they're revvier than a Miata, less so than an S2000, and felt really agile/light. Nice top design which was adopted by the NC MX-5.

The cabin felt quite roomy for the size of the car, but the styling was a bit funky. In the end, I'm glad I passed, b/c they're harder to work on, and the aftermarket is much more limited. Cool cars, though....as long as you don't need storage space.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Chris S,Aug 6 2010, 02:25 PM
They all seemed over-priced, much more than otherwise comparable Miatas.
I found the same thing. Everyone wanted so much for the MRS that it just made sense to pay the extra $2.5k and get an S2k.

I really enjoyed my MRS test drives, the price just wasn't right when compared to miatas and S2ks. Personally I would've paid a small premium over a Miata because I like the MR2 styling better and there are fewer on the road, but it was a large premium that people were looking for.

Quick Reply: Tell me about the MR 2 Spyder...