Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The Tesla Model 3

Old 04-01-2016, 01:54 PM
Site Moderator

Received 351 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by white98ls
Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn' timestamp='1459541847' post='23925605
[quote name='s.hasan546' timestamp='1459522378' post='23925206']
that front bumper ruins the car for me
This 100% It is like they looked at the Porsche Panamera and asked "how can we make that uglier." Everything else looks great and this car is going to seriously change electric cars. Just that front bumper is really bad.
I think it's kind of cool. It reminds me of the evolution of animals, like how humans have vestigial tailbones and body hair - shadows of past features that we've evolved to not need. The protruding outline where there would normally be a grille is the same to me, which I think is very cool. And it manages to not look face/mouthless like a GM EV1.
[/quote]

I almost wish the outline wasn't there though. It just bring more attention to something not being there that should be. For how good the entire model S looks this one is a bit of a butter face. The profile and back look pretty damn good though. It is tempting for me since my drive to work is short and both offices I go to have plenty of charging stations. With it being a few years off I think i will wait for the bugs to be worked out and maybe get one when the refresh happens or if they make a D version. My needs are going in a bit of a different direction anyways wanting a truck but I am really excite for how this car will change the auto industry. This should be a wake up call to makers on many different levels.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:17 PM

Received 81 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by white98ls
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower' timestamp='1459521512' post='23925190
35K minus a 7-10K credit makes it pretty attractive. I might have to get one as a errand car. Especially if the residuals are good and you can lease one for sub 300 a month.
The $7,500 starts going away once Tesla hits 200k cars sold in the U.S., which should be early-mid 2018. Which means if you aren't already in line, you're not getting the credit.
You're assuming that folks stay in the line stay and actually take delivery. I think there's a not insignificant sized group that put down deposit thinking "What the heck, I can always get my money back if I change my mind." I don't think we can use the number of deposits as a one-for-one forecast of sales.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:32 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
I almost wish the outline wasn't there though. It just bring more attention to something not being there that should be. For how good the entire model S looks this one is a bit of a butter face. The profile and back look pretty damn good though. It is tempting for me since my drive to work is short and both offices I go to have plenty of charging stations. With it being a few years off I think i will wait for the bugs to be worked out and maybe get one when the refresh happens or if they make a D version. My needs are going in a bit of a different direction anyways wanting a truck but I am really excite for how this car will change the auto industry. This should be a wake up call to makers on many different levels.
I think it just looks "weird" because it's unusual. People aren't used to it. Very soon, it'll be the norm and we'll all look back and say, "remember when we thought the Model 3 front looked so odd?! now it looks so normal!"

Just like when car headlights got so large...or cars themselves got so fat and bloated looking...or the CLS looked funny because it had a fast back....it all looks so normal now. Car designers *usually* do a pretty damn good job of predicting future trends (or setting them). While the front may be a tiny bit controversial, 9 out of 10 people seem to like the cars looks overall. So i'm sure the design will convert more people sooner than later. It's definitely no Aztec haha
Old 04-01-2016, 02:58 PM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

if they make a D version.
So what you're saying is, you're just waiting for the D.

Originally Posted by waltk88
You're assuming that folks stay in the line stay and actually take delivery. I think there's a not insignificant sized group that put down deposit thinking "What the heck, I can always get my money back if I change my mind." I don't think we can use the number of deposits as a one-for-one forecast of sales.
That's a fair point. Although I do think the ones that got on the list early will be more likely to stick around. Those people are employees, current owners, and people who camped out for hours to get one, so they won't be as fickle as someone who made a deposit online the next day.

I saw a headline that they have now passed 200k reservations. Even if half abandon ship, 100k is like two years of production at current capacity.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Won't the tax credit be gone by the time this car is released?
Old 04-01-2016, 04:11 PM
Site Moderator

Received 351 Likes on 305 Posts

I sure am waiting for the D since this version is D'less. And yeah I can see it being the case where looking back people will ask why cars had gaping mouths. Or in Acura's case beaks.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:22 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I sure am waiting for the D since this version is D'less. And yeah I can see it being the case where looking back people will ask why cars had gaping mouths. Or in Acura's case beaks.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:34 PM

Received 384 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by caideN
Won't the tax credit be gone by the time this car is released?
IIRC, after 200,000 cars sold for any brand, not just Tesla, the fed tax incentive gets cut in half. It's structured like that. Then after so many more sell it's gets halved again. Some think the $7,500 is going to get extended. Say for example, Tesla suits go back to the .gov and haggle to have it extended. Nobody knows anything but what is current now. Once that threshold is passed, it could get extended or halved as I mentioned. Nobody knows because we aren't there yet. If nothing legal gets changed, then you are correct that the credit could go away. My guess it'll still be there but in the $1800 range instead of $7500. You can google the structure of it but that's the jest.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:44 PM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

The unveiling of Tesla's new model 3, is getting a lot of press. And for what the car represents I can certainly agree.

The only thing I can't stand is the front. IMO it is UGLY with a capital "U" !!!

Do you agree? And if so would it prevent you from buying the car?

Old 04-02-2016, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought with that Acura birdbeak being so dang ugly it would have created a whole new industry of front grille replacement options but now I guess it is up to the Tesla 3 being a Blank Slate so to speak . The aftermarket could be Huge of different designs to customize your 3 with a new grille.

Quick Reply: The Tesla Model 3