Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Is it time to move on?

Old 12-20-2013, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it time to move on?

I love my S. It was my attainable dream car and I have gotten tons of miles and AutoX out of it. It was the perfect car for mountain roads in Colorado and New Mexico. Little Rock had a great group running AutoX.

The problem is now that I live in Panhandle Florida, with no good roads and I feel like my use for the car now plays to none of its strengths. I commute, sit in traffic, drive straight boring roads and jam gear for work travel in the passenger seat. When it's time for the beach or fun outside I am relying on someone else to fit boards, coolers, chairs, whatever. On great days outside and short trips, I ditch the S2000 and take the Ducati. I don't have time to work on the car or AutoX anymore.

So, all of this has me looking at moving on. I can't really picture getting rid of the S, but I think of all the activities listed above and realize how nice it would be to have a car which was a better all-rounder. Because I move so often, and have a 1 car garage, I really think my needs are best suited by a single vehicle.

So I am looking at BMW 335i's (edit; E90 gen for hyd steering and better looks. think 2011) with a manual (and M Sport pack if i can find it). My hesitation is that I won't be able to work on it myself and that I will miss the S and wish I had gotten a DD/beater. What are your thoughts on living with the S when you don't feel like you are getting enjoyment out of it?
Old 12-20-2013, 12:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel your pain about the no good roads deal. I live in Saskatchewan, Canada and the roads are straight and no hills really. There are a few good roads around but you have to look around real hard. I think the S2000 is all about the experience no matter where you are driving. I enjoy my S even though I don't get to take it anywhere where a bit of spirited driving would be enjoyable. Driving with the top down is always a treat and enjoyable even in poor weather.

It sounds like you don't enjoy the S because you travel a bit for work and need something that has a little bit of space. If you have a garage and work on your S2000 yourself, why not get something like a dd/beater that can park in the driveway? It doesn't have to be a "nice" car like a bimmer or a benz, but something that is easy to work on, reliable, and something that will run forever so you can mile the shit out of it?

I drive the S2000 during summer and drive a '98 ford zx2 for the winter. It is cheap to insure and maintain/fuel.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:20 PM

Not being home all the time, I question the DD beater because I think it would be frustrating to be spending all my time driving something average to below while the nice car sits unused. Do you feel that way?
Old 12-20-2013, 01:47 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Make a life call. Will you want the S in the future? If so can you afford to hold onto it?

I'm in a place in life where I drive my son and dog around in my sedan. The S sits 95% of the time. The lady and I take it out on date nights and I play around in the mountains in the summer. I may sell it down the road to do something else. Right now it's not loosing value and cheap to own. It's one of the most reliable cars I've had. Hard to part ways.

A BMW is laughable coming from the S. You'll love the expensive repairs. I wouldn't touch one outside a warranty. If you own the drop in value like a rock.

Pick up a Civic Si for DD.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:00 PM

Not being home all the time, I question the DD beater because I think it would be frustrating to be spending all my time driving something average to below while the nice car sits unused. Do you feel that way?
No that is ridiculous. IMO, I would rather have an S sitting in the garage with a Ducati next to it and a DD beater sitting outside over a nice "practical" daily driver. Do you think the majority of Porsche GT3 owners and NSX's are used as daily drivers, if not, do you think having a Honda Accord beater is a bad decision or waste?
Old 12-20-2013, 05:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I thought of getting a crappy beater for daily driving but then started thinking that I would never want to drive the crappy beater then. I still bought a daily driver but went for a legacy gt and did some power and handling mods so I actually like to drive it now.
I used to live in FL. The roads there are extremely boring to drive around on. If I still lived there I think I would have sold the S2000 and gotten something else with a lot more low end torque to make the straight roads a little more fun.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:45 PM
mD5

Where in the panhandle are you ? Florida is super boring and I used to DD my gs300. It got super boring and I almost pulled the trigger on a 335is. Luckily it sold before I got back to it, and bought this s2000 instead. It's been a joy to mod and drive everywhere. I have a 91 mr2 Turbo I'm also never going to let go of. I got rid of my Suzuki sv1000s and regret it ever since. I say keep the s.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I parted out my S 2000 (still in the process) kinda breaks my heart but I drove it literally 4-5 times a year, and everytime something broke, lol. She'll be missed but it's nice to throw $23,000 into my savings account!
Old 12-20-2013, 06:29 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

lots of folks sell an S only to buy another one a short time later.
I keep my S at my brother's place - don't really want to part with it. I do miss it at times, esp when the sun is shining and the day is warm.
try not to drive the S for a couple of weeks. If you don't have any withdrawal, then sell it.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I lived in florida and sold my S for a Evo regretted it about a year later and I loved the Evo I just recently bought another S and I think I will keep it for ever. Cheap to own and really nothing compares in my book.

Quick Reply: Is it time to move on?