Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Is it time to move on?

Old 12-21-2013, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoomie
I love my S. It was my attainable dream car and I have gotten tons of miles and AutoX out of it. It was the perfect car for mountain roads in Colorado and New Mexico. Little Rock had a great group running AutoX.

The problem is now that I live in Panhandle Florida, with no good roads and I feel like my use for the car now plays to none of its strengths. I commute, sit in traffic, drive straight boring roads and jam gear for work travel in the passenger seat. When it's time for the beach or fun outside I am relying on someone else to fit boards, coolers, chairs, whatever. On great days outside and short trips, I ditch the S2000 and take the Ducati. I don't have time to work on the car or AutoX anymore.

So, all of this has me looking at moving on. I can't really picture getting rid of the S, but I think of all the activities listed above and realize how nice it would be to have a car which was a better all-rounder. Because I move so often, and have a 1 car garage, I really think my needs are best suited by a single vehicle.

So I am looking at BMW 335i's (edit; E90 gen for hyd steering and better looks. think 2011) with a manual (and M Sport pack if i can find it). My hesitation is that I won't be able to work on it myself and that I will miss the S and wish I had gotten a DD/beater. What are your thoughts on living with the S when you don't feel like you are getting enjoyment out of it?
I hear you. I leased my 08 S2000 as I wasn't sure I'd want to own it long term. But my buddy had a 2002 and that convinced me that I wanted to experience the S2000. The lease turned out to be a good idea for me. I enjoyed the hell out of that car for three years but, in the end I didn't want to keep it mainly because of the absolutely miserable traffic in the NY metro area. I eventually found my way to a hardtop convertible in the form of an SLK55 AMG with a 7 speed automatic that can be shifted manually. The SLK is just a better, more enjoyable solution for me in this environment. More comfortable, quieter, tons more tech like nav, lots more luxury features, and a hell of a lot faster. Plus when traffic is really bad I can flip a switch and it shifts for itself. If things had been different I may have kept the S2000. But I'm a lot happier with the SLK.

I think you need to own a car that makes sense for you whatever your requirements are. I don't subscribe to the weekend garage queen philosophy. I buy em to drive em. If I can't enjoy it, what's the point of owning it?
Old 12-22-2013, 02:55 AM

Thanks for all the good thoughts guys. I am obviously not sure yet what I want to do, but it pretty much falls into the two schools of keep the S and get a daily in the realm of used Civic, Mazda 3 or WRK or sell the S and look for something that is a satisfying all-rounder like a Focus ST, used 335i, new Mazda 3 or the like.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:40 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for all the good thoughts guys. I am obviously not sure yet what I want to do, but it pretty much falls into the two schools of keep the S and get a daily in the realm of used Civic, Mazda 3 or WRK or sell the S and look for something that is a satisfying all-rounder like a Focus ST, used 335i, new Mazda 3 or the like.
I vote for getting a daily.

There are times that I wonder why I keep my S2000, as it sits in the garage almost always and rarely gets driven - so I am not sure why I want to continue to pay for insurance, parts/maintenance, etc. But then there are those days where I have time to go out for a top down drive, and it's totally worth it...
Old 12-23-2013, 08:03 AM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts

If you move so often, it may be worth keeping until the next relocation.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It sounds like your Ducati is filling the roles the S2000 holds for many of us. The practical side of me questions the value of owning both of them.

That said, you may want the option to auto-x, track, or get back in to the car "scene" in the future...
Old 12-26-2013, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by blasphemy101
It sounds like your Ducati is filling the roles the S2000 holds for many of us. The practical side of me questions the value of owning both of them.

That said, you may want the option to auto-x, track, or get back in to the car "scene" in the future...
You pretty much hit the nail on the head. The Duc fills both the sunny day joyride and the mod bug wrench turning side of things really well. But, I would never have the balls to track it like I have the S. The margins are just to slim for a bike on track.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:21 PM

So resurrecting this thread, because contrary to plenty of advice on here, the S is sold. I am a 1 car household and need something more capable as an all rounder, daily driver. It was hard to let go, but I am sure the next owner will enjoy it every bit as much as I did.

So! The replacement contenders, in no particular order

2015 Subaru WRX ~29k
+ reliability, price, fun to drive
- looks/image, interior, fuel economy

2011 335i Msport ~ 36k
+ THE ENGINE, interior, extras, 2 years of depreciation
- reliability (after the CPO warranty ends in 2016), initial cost

2014 Mazda3
+ Looks, reliability, price, fuel economy
- power, FWD, small engine to get a manual

Let me know what you think! Manual transmission is a must.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FearlessFife
Originally Posted by Zoomie' timestamp='1387713320' post='22934106
I vote for
a daily.

There are times that I wonder why I keep my S2000, as it sits in the garage almost always and rarely gets driven - so I am not sure why I want to continue to pay for insurance, parts/maintenance, etc. But then there are those days where I have time to go out for a top down drive, and it's totally worth it...
I get alot of joy just putting them top down in the garage to provide the music or sit in the garage for hours eyeballing it.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Da New Yawka
Originally Posted by FearlessFife' timestamp='1387719647' post='22934151
[quote name='Zoomie' timestamp='1387713320' post='22934106']
I vote for
a daily.

I get alot of joy just putting them top down in the garage to provide the music or sit in the garage for hours eyeballing it.
[/quote]

Already sold! It was time to move on, and with the bike and my career as it is. I need to be a one car guy.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:52 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

So resurrecting this thread, because contrary to plenty of advice on here, the S is sold. I am a 1 car household and need something more capable as an all rounder, daily driver. It was hard to let go, but I am sure the next owner will enjoy it every bit as much as I did.

So! The replacement contenders, in no particular order

2015 Subaru WRX ~29k
+ reliability, price, fun to drive
- looks/image, interior, fuel economy

2011 335i Msport ~ 36k
+ THE ENGINE, interior, extras, 2 years of depreciation
- reliability (after the CPO warranty ends in 2016), initial cost

2014 Mazda3
+ Looks, reliability, price, fuel economy
- power, FWD, small engine to get a manual

Let me know what you think! Manual transmission is a must.
The BMW doesn't seem like a fit, it's so much more car then the WRX/Mazda3.

For $30K I'd have picked up this 2013 TL 6SP SH-AWD for $26k out of UT with 900 miles on it. See it here - http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...64113077&Log=0

Have you looked into the Lexas IS350? It would be my pick over the BMW or the TL if you don't like how it looks.

Quick Reply: Is it time to move on?