Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Tokyo Motor Show - CR-Z article

Old 10-20-2009, 11:35 AM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts
Red face Tokyo Motor Show - CR-Z article

Its press days at the Tokyo show, and here's a CR-Z article, with some insight into the direction Honda wants to go with sports cars:

The car’s designer, Takaski Nagura, said, “We want to take sporty cars in a new direction. We want to make the image healthier.”
So there you have it, Honda wants to make healthy-image cars. Personally, I thought a 2L ULEV-II sports car that gets great mpg (20-30) was a pretty healthy-image sports car already.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/19...#comment-126513

Six-speed manual is a plus, but $25k price tag? Maybe if you want a sporty hybrid, I guess.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:38 AM

Received 426 Likes on 300 Posts

How fast is healthy?
Old 10-20-2009, 11:40 AM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts

Fwd fast? With a battery and 1.5L engine, I'm sure it will get out of its own way. I've also heard this car is actually really tiny, like 1 Gen Insight tiny.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:09 PM

Received 426 Likes on 300 Posts

Well, with electric motor assist if it can get to 60 in six and a half seconds and get mid to high forties to a gallon it should be a fun car for lots of people and probably sell well. I think it looks neat, but not probably an enthusiast vehicle in terms of modern day performance.

I don't think that is out of the question either, going by the fact that the old insight (which my boss currently has one with 150,000 + miles) gets about 54 highway routinely. It probably does 60 in a bout ten seconds but you know have newer technology, sacrifice a little milage with battery life for stonger motors, and you have a slightly larger engine. If anybody could do it, Honda could.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1,Oct 20 2009, 12:09 PM
Well, with electric motor assist if it can get to 60 in six and a half seconds and get mid to high forties to a gallon it should be a fun car for lots of people and probably sell well. I think it looks neat, but not probably an enthusiast vehicle in terms of modern day performance.
Depending on price it will be my DD. 25k is almost too much. I dont think it's "old insight" small though. It will have rear bench for temporary ride. My toy will be some [insert 40-45k badass here].

My choice is wondering which one to buy first. There would have to be a 2yr difference between the two.

Whether we like it, hybrid/electric is the new wave. BMW will debut its Hybrid sports car in the near future. Ferrari's CEO already confirmed their first Hybrid, right?
Old 10-20-2009, 12:52 PM

Wow $25k for a hybrid fwd "sporty car"? I was all about the CRZ but if that figure is correct I would rather wait for the FT-86!
Old 10-20-2009, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We all 'knew' this would happen. This is exactly why I could never understand the excitement. I think it's just 'Honda' fans wanting so badly to be a fan of something they make again. Just change brands people, or better yet don't pick one. Honda is done, imo when it comes to make anything remotely interesting to someone that doesn't make their own clothes out of hemp.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:55 PM

WEll its still all speculation. It says two seater but others say four, and others say 1.6 liter engines. But I really do hope there is a cheaper gas only engine
Old 10-20-2009, 04:57 PM

Actually i also remember reading somewhere that the US will get a 2+2 1.8 liter
Old 10-20-2009, 07:50 PM

It's speculative, but with a 1.5 and the same basic hybrid system in the Civic/Insight its not sounding even remotely interesting. The Civic and Insight are both even slower than you'd expect and under powered overweight car to be. If they are any indication I wouldn't be surprised to see the CR-Z wheezing its way to 60 in something north of a "sporty" 10 seconds.

Basically, I don't think it matters at all how fast or slow the CR-Z anyway. Those who want a "cool, sporty looking" impractical hybrid are going to be the only ones who will buy it. Essentially, it's a car you buy for the image it projects since there won't be any other reason to buy it. Anyone who cares about practicality, performance, or cost already jumped ship.

But that's just my speculation. Maybe it'll come with the Civic Si drivetrain with the hybrid assist attached. I have to admit if they made something that drove like a Civic Si with a bit more torque down low and got 40 mpg I'd be interested. I just don't see that happening. Especially not at a "affordable" price point.

Quick Reply: Tokyo Motor Show - CR-Z article