Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Truck newbie - what to get?

Old 07-18-2007, 10:16 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Jul 18 2007, 10:04 AM
On this one we don't agree...

I think the Ridgeline is very, very underpowered, and yes I have driven one, actually more than one. To me a truck should feel like the Titan, plenty of grunt, nothing like 379 foot pounds of torque to demonstrate grunt.

The second thing I dislike about the Ridgeline is the AWD, this is not at all like 4WD, and for someone who has driven trucks for a long time there is no way I want a car like drivetrain, I want 4WD, and to me, if a so called truck does not have a granny gear, then it ain't no truck.

The third thing about the Ridgeline, and this one I HATE, which is much stronger than dislike, it the stupidity of Honda to not figure out a way to make the double swing tailgate lockable. Trucks have got to have a lockable tailgate so you can add a tonneau and keep stuff in the bed locked up.

And don't even getme started on that 5,000 pound towing capacity and the wisdom of towing any load even close to that...

Sorry Jon, we are on opposite sides of the fence on this one.
I'd agree if you're really working the truck but this sounds more like light-duty work, so those things (plenty of grunt, lockable tailgate, heavy-duty 4WD, lower towing capacity) are probably not really an issue to them.

If they were towing a horse trailer, I'd agree with you, but chances are they're only going to be putting (at most) 500-1000 lbs in the bed and probably not even towing anything at all.

I don't disagree for a minute with what you're saying, only that I don't feel it's applicable to their situation.

I love you man, even when we disagree!
Old 07-18-2007, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe some good information here: http://autos.msn.com/advice/article....tentid=4019414
Old 07-18-2007, 10:43 AM

Received 493 Likes on 376 Posts

Wikipedia:
Full-size pickups in North America are sold in three size ranges -
Old 07-18-2007, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Jul 18 2007, 01:16 PM
I love you man, even when we disagree!

For a really light-duty sport utility truck I guess it's ok, but as my frame-of-reference is biased towards big towing capacity and major snow driving capability, it's just not what I consider a truck. This winter just 1 hour to the east of me is where they got 8', yes that's aight feet of snow in 24 hours.

Me ain't driving no Ridgeline here baby
Old 07-18-2007, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect,Jul 18 2007, 01:43 PM
I agree that you should invest in used, unless you guys are 100% sure that you're going to milk every mile out of it and then junk it... for some reason when I'm thinking along those lines I'd rather buy new although it doesn't make perfect logical sense.
I hear ya...

The Titan is my 1st brand new pickup, after having owned and driven lots of pickups for a very long time, all of which were bought used. When I had just 2,000 miles on the Titan I needed to drive through a plowed filed that had not been disced down. I started into the field with the joyful reckless abandon I had always, and then it hit me, dude, you are in a brand new truck, slow the f down... New trucks and working on the farm just don't mix, used trucks come with scratches, so what's one more. I found I was, and still am to a degree way to intimidated to really let the truck work because "oh it's new, I don't want to scratch it"...

New can be reliable for a long time and if kept can be a real money saver, but used is just so much easier to put to work and not worry about. Sort of a strange paradox, just like $65,000 off road vehicles that will never make it off the pavement of suburbia.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Jul 18 2007, 03:40 PM
For a really light-duty sport utility truck I guess it's ok
in those instances, i prefer a BMW or Mercedes truck.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TripleH is right about used trucks. Mine was only 1 year old, and belonged to some business that went bankrupt. It had 15K miles on it and had all its records. It already had some scratches on the bed rails and a few nicks on the hood from rocks so I had no problem taking it wherever I need.

The truck listed new in 2005 for about $30K. I paid $17K for it. Amazing.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:19 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Jul 18 2007, 01:40 PM

For a really light-duty sport utility truck I guess it's ok, but as my frame-of-reference is biased towards big towing capacity and major snow driving capability, it's just not what I consider a truck. This winter just 1 hour to the east of me is where they got 8', yes that's aight feet of snow in 24 hours.

Me ain't driving no Ridgeline here baby
I'm from Newfoundland, where we had 33 feet of snow the first year I got married. If I can drive an Accord in that, I can drive a Ridgeline in what you posted. It's all about tires, time, and momentum.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:26 PM

Received 493 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Jul 18 2007, 11:48 AM
I hear ya...

The Titan is my 1st brand new pickup, after having owned and driven lots of pickups for a very long time, all of which were bought used. When I had just 2,000 miles on the Titan I needed to drive through a plowed filed that had not been disced down. I started into the field with the joyful reckless abandon I had always, and then it hit me, dude, you are in a brand new truck, slow the f down... New trucks and working on the farm just don't mix, used trucks come with scratches, so what's one more. I found I was, and still am to a degree way to intimidated to really let the truck work because "oh it's new, I don't want to scratch it"...

New can be reliable for a long time and if kept can be a real money saver, but used is just so much easier to put to work and not worry about. Sort of a strange paradox, just like $65,000 off road vehicles that will never make it off the pavement of suburbia.
Yeah, I'd go with used for the farm. There's a number of those dealerships everywhere that sell strictly work trucks; you know the ones that are white with black textured moldings.
If you are buying used, from that point onwards Ford, GM, and Toyota trucks all hold their value well and will run for quite a while. Test drive them all and see which one you like best.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:06 AM

[QUOTE=JonBoy,Jul 18 2007, 03:19 PM] I'm from Newfoundland, where we had 33 feet of snow the first year I got married.

Quick Reply: Truck newbie - what to get?