Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Video: Top Gear Corvette Z06 review

Old 05-15-2006, 08:26 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

i wish that they would test the same car 3 or four times and then take the best lap. im sure the stig is a great driver but anybody can improve once they are familiar with a car.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will be an interesting retest on that koeniggsegg ccx when it gets a wing. Could be a new fastest time.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:26 PM

I guarantee the Stig takes more than 1 lap in the car he tests. No driver in the world can go out in a totally unfamiliar car and push it right to the limits.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by brent_strong,May 15 2006, 11:26 PM
I guarantee the Stig takes more than 1 lap in the car he tests. No driver in the world can go out in a totally unfamiliar car and push it right to the limits.
I Can.....

But occasionally I hit things......

No surprise here, the Z06 is a bad mofo......
Old 05-16-2006, 12:02 AM

Received 493 Likes on 376 Posts

The Stig does do practice laps, on some of the older episodes they even show him spinning out during his practice laps, matter in fact I think they showed it with the Koenfudshugvnadjgfdkjhig CCX.
Also, I personally think the Stig is Tiff Needel from 5th Gear, but this isn't based off of anything, just my speculation.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the STIG is someone else, an EX-F1 driver or somethin.

but damn, that car is sooo damn fast, even with run flats it manages a mind-bending lap time.

i could tell jeremy clarkson was just trying his best to find something wrong with the car...honestly, 5th gear from a standstill to 170mph+ is just absolutely insane. wow.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect,May 16 2006, 04:02 AM
The Stig does do practice laps, on some of the older episodes they even show him spinning out during his practice laps, matter in fact I think they showed it with the Koenfudshugvnadjgfdkjhig CCX.
I know the Stig does practice laps. They showed him losing the tail on the Carrera GT a couple times last year before he got his money lap in. Nobody can just take a car out on the track for the first time and set those kinds of lap times. I'll agree they should take like the average of three or something, but the system they have is pretty good.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:40 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Clayman,May 16 2006, 07:18 AM
I know the Stig does practice laps. They showed him losing the tail on the Carrera GT a couple times last year before he got his money lap in. Nobody can just take a car out on the track for the first time and set those kinds of lap times. I'll agree they should take like the average of three or something, but the system they have is pretty good.
I think what they do is take his best lap out of all the ones he runs. At least that's how they used to do their Celebrity laps (they changed it this season though).
Old 05-16-2006, 05:49 AM

Probably do, but just like the Nurburgring times, it's all condition and driver dependent. I'm still not convinced the Stig is just one person and it's quite obvious that cars are running in all different conditions on the show.

Entertainment with a speck of objectivity is all it is.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,May 15 2006, 02:19 PM
Not sure what got up Clarkson's exit chute, but my friend's C6 Z06 seems pretty darn driveable on a day to day basis. The suspension is firmer and the tires are a bit noisier compared to the base model, but the car was much quieter and easier to cruise around in than I expected considering it's prodigious performance capabilities.
I also find the attitude a bit off with his distaste for American perspective showing through too strongly for me.

After some good seat time in a Z51 C6 and some time as a passenger in a Z06 I can say that IMO the Corvette is certainly more quiet and comfortable than my S2000, or most performance cars I have experience with.

The Z06 is an amazing accomplishment with (paraphrasing from a post somewhere) the ability to drive in comfort to the track carrying all the stuff needed with room to spare, capability to set the track record for production cars, and drive home in comfort with the AC going and tunes playing.

The track vid was really cool but the BS from Clarkson is what keeps me away from that show.

Quick Reply: Video: Top Gear Corvette Z06 review