Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What do you envy?

Old 04-07-2011, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can build anything you want. the S will always have a place in my heart. and i will never let it go. even if it burns to the ground. i will get another one.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Red Lotus Elise
Old 04-07-2011, 03:49 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Lotus Elise/Exige
Porsche Cayman R (in that snotty green color)
Old 04-07-2011, 06:00 AM

Received 411 Likes on 237 Posts

I envied torque.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:39 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Ford GT (NOT the Mustang )
Old 04-07-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by SpudRacer
Well, funny you should ask. I'm getting rid of the S2000 in about 30 days, May 9th. I already have its replacement sitting in my garage. I picked up a mint condition 05 Chrysler Crossfire SRT6 last weekend. It's not "better than" the S2000, just different. I've always wanted one. I love the styling and the historic nature of the car. Only 2,016 units were produced in a single year of production making the car pretty rare. It was the first and only joint effort between the Mercedes AMG and the Chrysler SRT high performance shops. The car is based on the Mercedes SLK32 AMG platform. The sheet metal and interior was designed by Chrysler and the chassis was donated from the Mercedes SLK32. AMG supplied a hand built 3.2L supercharged V6 with a water to air intercooler and a 5 speed slap-shift AMG transmission. Chrysler Street & Racing Technology supplied the wheels and suspension tuning. It weighs 3,240 lbs and makes an advertised 330HP / 310ft lbs. This was found to be untrue in tests. Apparently Daimler didn't want Chrysler marketing a car that competed directly with the SLK AMG so they advertised the lower figures. The engine in fact is identical to the Merc and puts out 349HP / 330ft lbs. Zero to sixty is a 4.8 second exercise. Zero to 100 to zero was specified as < 16 seconds. Try that in the S2000.
I rather just have the SLK32/C32 than that thing that looks like it got caught in a cross fire
Old 04-07-2011, 09:57 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Porsche 997 GT3 and E90 BMW M3 - two cars that would give me near-nirvana in an automotive sense. Pure sports car + GT sporty car that I can put the family in = automotive win!
Old 04-07-2011, 12:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I envy the guys I see driving last gen nsx or 997 911 GT3
Old 04-07-2011, 02:28 PM

I don't envy anything as far as driving goes. I've checked off ownership of most of the major automotive icons that I actually desire - 911, Ferrari, Aston etc., and I've found that, for me at least, I can have 98% of the fun at 50, or even 25% of the cost. So while I would certainly LOVE to have a GT#RS for a track car, the cost/value of the thing makes my MX5 a much more "enjoyable" trackday ride. Likewise, if someone gave me a new Morgan Supersports I'd probably break down and cry, I want one so bad. But I don't REALLY want to pay 180K for one when my Boxster Spyder just thrills me to pieces.

What I envy is the historical/collector pieces that I can never afford to keep. I'd love to have THE Jim Clark Lotus formula 1 car, and I'd like a monster garage/display hall to put it in, next to a Ferrari Daytona and a Benz Gullwing (the original). I do ok - I'd be silly to deny that, but the stuff I envy is the stuff that it takes real money - IPO money, family money, hedge fund money, etc. - to own/care for/run. The rest of the stuff just doesn't meet my fun/price sensibilities any more.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sparrow
Originally Posted by cbehney' timestamp='1302104588' post='20436019
I envy the certainty and unflagging confidence with which some of our members state their opinions.
Lol'd... I don't think there are definite cars you move on to, in the sense of a "better" sports car or more expensive car. I think you move on to whatever suits your needs the best at the time. After driving the s2000 and then driving some much higher priced vehicles I can clearly say driving enjoyment and price are not linear, not even logarithmic depending on the cars you're comparing. I feel that there are only two cars I would let my S go for, a 97+ nsx or the most current boxster s. Nothing else appeals to me. The nsx b/c it was what I lusted for as a child and I love love love the design. I drove one and was not blown away, the s2k was way more fun at sedate speeds but the styling of the nsx and its rarity is just too much for me to pass up. The boxster s b/c it is a relaxed but more capable s2k, its not as visceral but it makes up for it with extreme composure, handling and driving intimacy.

I think part of the key to not getting tired of your S and enjoying it for a long time is to have a dd that is obviously not your S. I dd'd my S for 3 months after my original dd was totaled in an accident. After about a week of driving it, it lost a little bit of its appeal. I acquired another dd and drive the S on clearest of days and anything above 55/60 degrees. All was well in my universe once again. Going from a civic/camry into the s2000 feels like dating kirstie alley and then having your way with beyonce or (insert any female or male you would ravish until dehydration)

Agree completely. except, neither of those cars can replace the visceral sensation of the S.

The thing i wish is that the S was given it's rightful dues by honda and the public. that is, it ought to have been designed with some more style and it's low price tag, while good for us, made people dismiss it. the car looks kinda crappy, imo, while the 04+ nsx is exotic. it feels like it deserves a grand treatment that would give it the respect it deserves.

Quick Reply: What do you envy?