Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What do you think of the Mazda CX-7 these days?

Old 06-29-2011, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like them. but my issue with them are so-so mpg, missing the head rest in the middle of the rear seats (Nissan Rouge doesn't have it either) and they priced not far off a CX-9
Old 06-29-2011, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by stockae92
I like them. but my issue with them are so-so mpg, missing the head rest in the middle of the rear seats (Nissan Rouge doesn't have it either) and they priced not far off a CX-9
Actually, the 4 cylinder 2.5L non turbo actually gets 20/28 for MPG (city/highway). That's actually right in line with the Rav4, CRV, etc. Are you talking about that version or the non-turbo? I'm not sure what else in the class would do better. I think perhaps the Hyundai Tuscon, I believe it gets 30+ highway in at least one of the engine offerings. As for the CX-9, we looked into them but they are a good 5k or so more and if you don't need the third row seat it's hard to justify the price and lower MPG (it falls back into the range of the cx7 turbo mpg wise).

Edit - Just looked it up, the rogue is 22/28 MPG.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

remember right now its 0% and there's a 1k factory to dealer incentive on mazda's right now (exclusing mazdaspeeds, rx8's and miatas)

i'm actually thinking about trading in for a cx-9 because we need something that seats 6 often
Old 07-04-2011, 07:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I test drove cx7 with 2.5na; And that's the only engine I would get as well. Car handles great for its class - neither rav nor crv come even close. That comparison must have been some joke. Same for brakes. Interior materials are much much nicer comparing to prev years. I like it especially for the price. It does not look a$$-cheap like before. All I wanted was to see how 2.5 would handle CA hills and it did well.. I was around San Rafael that day and it didn't feel like engine is working hard. Overall I liked the car much and there is good chance I would be picking up one myself in few weeks. Competition - there is none in my eyes.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:05 AM

anybody cross shop CX7 with Nissan Rouge? How do they stack up?
Old 07-07-2011, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by solidol
I test drove cx7 with 2.5na; And that's the only engine I would get as well. Car handles great for its class - neither rav nor crv come even close. That comparison must have been some joke. Same for brakes. Interior materials are much much nicer comparing to prev years. I like it especially for the price. It does not look a$$-cheap like before. All I wanted was to see how 2.5 would handle CA hills and it did well.. I was around San Rafael that day and it didn't feel like engine is working hard. Overall I liked the car much and there is good chance I would be picking up one myself in few weeks. Competition - there is none in my eyes.
Thanks! Don't know a whole lot about CA, what are the hills like in San Rafael? This SUV would see the mountains in NC, any idea how they compare? Agree with almost everything else you said.

Originally Posted by stockae92
anybody cross shop CX7 with Nissan Rouge? How do they stack up?
We took a look at the rogue. It was a decent car, but didn't really seem to compare in the interior look and feel. I'm not saying the Mazda is Lexus quality materials, but the overall design of the rogue didn't seem very appealing. Power and gas mileage wise they seem similiar. Just didn't have the same look and feel. Also didn't seem to have the same ride quality in terms of handling and braking. That could be a seat of the pants comparission though. We didn't spend nearly as much time on the rogue.