Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.
View Poll Results: What's more fun?
"too fast" cars (ie. Z06, Carrera GT, 911 Turbo etc..)
37.33%
juts a bit quick cars (ie. Elise, S2000, Boxster S, NSX etc..)
50.67%
Slow cars (ie. Miata, Solstice, Civic Si etc...)
12.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

What's more fun (on back roads)...

Old 02-04-2006, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nobody,Feb 4 2006, 12:04 PM
A mildly modded Miata will often have an equal or higher cornering ability than a Corvette.
You can go to an autocross to see this but maybe not Watkins Glen.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:48 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by steve c,Feb 4 2006, 08:49 AM
You have biased the thread from the get go with your labled suggestions.
Sorry about the label suggestions. it's not easy to make a poll that everyone will like. Some people here don't like anything I post.

Someone else suggested this thread to me. It doesn't mean anything it's just shooting bull you know.

You say no one (but you) knows Jack all the time. But some people have owned both and say super fast cars the limits are too fast to explore most of the time.

I know I rarely got close to the Z06's limits in the twisties. But I drove the wheels off my Integra GSR, much lower limits and FWD.

Not as if I didn't have fun in the Z06 but I was ALWAYS in illegal-speed territory and sometimes running a corner way too fast for visibility.
EVO magazine regularly pick a Cleo (fwd hatch) as being darn near as much fun as you can have on the street and other magazines have said they have as much fun with a Miata/S2000 etc.. as they do with Z06/Viper etc.. b/c the lesser car you can wail on most of the time while the Z06 you have to back off most of the time.
A more telling poll would be just the folks who own very fast cars as well as S2000's. From my reading the general rule is that the S2000 is driven less and less as time goes on.
I've read some threads where ppl prefer the S2000 to much quicker cars they have owned. And some people buy a S2000 even tho they already have a 'better' car.
[QUOTE]some need to rationalize not owning a penis extending fast car by saying they are somehow less fun to drive.If
Old 02-05-2006, 10:37 AM

Since I have gotten a new computer it has taken me a while to find where it put this file I had saved but finally here it is . From Autoextremist.com
Thinkin' Small.

Austin, Texas. I keep readin' these articles about how the new concept of "small" is all the rage. Small appliances, small gadgets, smaller fast food meals and, of course, small cars are the new cool for all of the "hipsters" out there who allegedly know of such things. As for me, small cars have never gone out of style, and I find the fact that small is the new road cool to be amusing. For instance, when you see a restored bug-eye Austin Healey Sprite on the road today, you cringe at the thought of it negotiating the current driving environment - while barely coming up to the wheel wells of a Ford F-150 pickup. Yet, when you see that same bug-eye on a race track during a vintage weekend, it seems perfectly in proportion.

But I love small cars - especially small performance cars.

I remember when Peter had a Lotus Europa Twin-Cam for a nanosecond (a car that would barely come up to the belt line of most cars today), and how we used to careen around the streets blowin' by unsuspecting motorists in the blink of an eye as that little Lotus just evaporated away with its sheer cornering ability. Peter called it a two-seat Formula Ford, and that's about as accurate of a statement that you could make about that car. It never ran worth a shit for very long, plus the letter "T" on the back in the middle of its name kept falling off so it spelled "L-o- -u-s" - but when it was running that little car would just flat get it. And I remember the '73-'75 Opel 1900s - tautly designed small cars that performed like BMW 2002s for a lot less money. I had a couple of those, and they were excellent cars - at least for me they were.

One thing you learn pretty quick with smaller cars is that it's easy to fly under the radar with them. You can haul ass in the right small car (SVT Focus, Dodge SRT-4, Mini) and have a lot more fun doing it too. I mean, winding the livin' shit out of a small car and bangin' off shifts at the redline is amazingly therapeutic, and you don't have to adopt the total paranoia mindset that's required to operate today's generation of super cars - which catapult you to double and triple the speed limit in no time. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but for those of us with long bouts with tickets, lawyers, points and probations - it's nice to be able to boot a little car and not worry about all of the other associated hassles. Well, maybe not quite as much, anyway. After all, if you push any of the aforementioned small cars to the limit, you're well into ticket territory in no time.

Believe it or not, one of the greatest "small" cars of all time was the Porsche 911. Today's car is sleek, sophisticated, roomy, bloated and souless - and it pales in comparison to the early versions. The 911s of the early '70s were amazingly compact and demanded your complete attention when driving them. They didn't do anything on their own. You had to grab hold of the steering wheel, work the pedals and make the thing respond to your wishes, otherwise it would bite you in mid-corner (and even in a straight line with a heavy-duty crosswind).

The original Shelby Cobra was another example of a great small car. Basically just a late '50s AC Bristol with a small block Ford V-8 stuffed in it, it was a very compact and taut little car that had nothing to do with the later 427 versions, which were wider and heavier - and less maneuverable too. That's why, for me, the 289s were always the essence of what a Cobra should be.

So, for us enthusiasts, small has always represented something good. As much as we're living in a "golden age" of performance these days, the cars are often too heavy and too cumbersome for my taste. I keep seeing curb weights of 4,000 pounds for a lot of these cars - and that just isn't right in my book.

That's why I'm thinkin' that the Pontiac Solstice is such a sweet, sweet car. And that's why when GM stuffs a small, optional aluminum V-8 in it - I will have my deposit ready.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry about the label suggestions. it's not easy to make a poll that everyone will like.
It's not about liking it -- you created a poll that by the wording would favor the answer you were looking for.

Some people just like to talk about cars and don't have to brag (cough) all the time about their cars.
Did I mention any of my cars? If there is a problem it is with you here.

I've read some threads where ppl prefer the S2000 to much quicker cars they have owned.
Never seen one.

Again, a more telling poll would be for folks who own both. Not folks who want to rationalize their decisions or hide behind some manner of insecurity.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:29 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzukaboy,Feb 4 2006, 02:04 PM
Just for the record it was an accident RATE, not a raw number of accidents. Whether the rate is per million miles driven or the total vehicles registered or some other measure I don't know.
I doubt highly they published an accident rate broken down by model vs. production. I am sure it is more like the total number of accidents divided by various models.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:11 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverstreak HX,Feb 5 2006, 11:37 AM
Since I have gotten a new computer it has taken me a while to find where it put this file I had saved but finally here it is . From Autoextremist.com
Thanks, that article is exactly what I've been trying to say.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...s/13805277.htm

2/6/06:
"The driver was heading westbound on Mount Hamilton in East San Jose around 8:45 a.m., CHP officer Brandon Straw said. As he entered a blind curve, he lost control of his red Corvette and crossed into the eastbound lanes of the road, driving onto the shoulder. The woman, who was standing on the shoulder near Miguelita Road, was struck and killed."

I think the answer to the question of what is more fun on a backroad is: "anything that doesn't lead to a) a coroner's van ride to the morgue or b) a patrol car ride to jail."

Old 02-06-2006, 08:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im a good test subject here.

1. 160hp Mini on 235/45 R18 GY F1GS-D3s, 18 inch moda/radius wheels are the only mod.

Driving this car I sometimes get the urge to drive straight up a wall just to see if it will stick. Its completely unflapable. You CANNOT fluster this little bugger. On a 270 degree off camber on-ramp, you will come into the turn, and then feed in the throttle, until one of two things happen. Either you realize that the car will take everything you can give it short of a 120mph entry and just laugh it off, or you will be chucked out of the window by the g-forces. Overall grip levels are huge, and you can toss the car through an S turn as though it had no inertia. On a winding road, you immediately feel comfortable at what seems like 11/10ths driving. What a chassis. Its incredible.

2. 700hp Z06. Stock suspension, unequal CCWswith Michellin Pilot sports, 275/40 R17s in the front, 335/30 R18s in the back.

Oh man. Where do I begin. Driving this car hard in a straightline requires presence of mind and good coordination, never mind feeding in the power hard coming past the apex. Sure it can be done, but where you would literally stand on the accelerator in the mini and grin, you caress the throttle on the corvette and pray. (At least I do). Come out of a corner with the revs past 3k in third, and the sheer fury with which the car accelerates is actually scary. Never mind second........in slow corners, you could smoke the tires from one turn to the next. Its BIG speed, holy shit speed, oh my God Im coming into this turn 50mph too fast-speed. If you dont upset the cars balance, it will grip like no-ones business, and Im about to switch to Nitto NT01s so I will basically be running R-compounds on the street. That should make this car even more of a weapon.

What do I prefer? Its tough to say. There is a five mile stretch of twisty roads that I travel often in both cars. In the mini, I'll come out of the last turn thinking "man, that was a blast, this sucker sticks good!" In the Z06, I'll come out of the last turn thinking "Christ, thank God I didnt go off the cliff. What the hell am I upping the power on this thing for next week!"

But theyre BOTH an absolute blast in their own way.

So I guess Im no help at all. Lol.

I do know that if I had to ditch one, it would be the mini (but I'd hate to see it go). Theres just something about knowing you can outrun damn near anything on the road.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:33 AM

This thread is funny.

4.5-5.0 cars are considered "just a bit quick"

You guys are like gods to me.