UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

911/NSX/Noble - how much better than the S on twisties?

Old 06-07-2004, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911/NSX/Noble - how much better than the S on twisties?

I had so much fun with the S on sunday morning (mile after mile of dry, deserted twisties of constantly varying type), that it got me thinking - I'm not that bothered about going fast in a straight line whatever the car, so how much more fun would a car of the 911/NSX/Noble ilk be on a road like this?

Sure it mullers the S on a fast A road, and on the short straights between the twisties, but how much better would it be on corners?
Old 06-07-2004, 01:05 PM

Euan. There are too many performance cars that are too fast for our roads IMO. The S2000 is a nice compromise, fast enough (for mr) in a straight line but challenging in the corners.

You just have to read Tifosi red's posts to see how the 911 doesn't give the feeling of excitement that he got from the S
Old 06-07-2004, 02:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The NSX suffers from being so wide on back roads, but it's suspension setup copes better than a standard S2000 on poor quality roads.

I think twisties are all about how well the driver knows the road, their car, and their ability. Then finding the fun blend between those three. Which is where the problem comes with some cars - if the car's too capable, then you can't actually push things to where you're at the optimum fun blend.

Personally, I don't get the NSX. It's not the best car on track. It's a bit long logged for UK roads. And it's not really ideal for a GT cruiser either. At least to me - I did consider one for a while. Don't get me wrong I like the NSX as a car - it just doesn't seem to really have sufficient focus on anything.

-Brian.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:12 PM

Taking the Dukes pass as an example, I think you would need balls of steel to arrive in Aberfoyle quicker in any of the above than in an 'S'. There is not that much difference in the cars ability to generate lateral G. Throw in some straights tho, and its goodbye 'S'.

As an example, I was driving along a road I didn't know that well and could not really shake off a mondeo that was behind me - until we got to a straight, then he gave up and let me go. I was having a lot more fun than him though - he had the aircon on...I had the top down.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Euan,two nights ago a chap in a 911 did me on the bypass,but there is a very long corner, and he breaked and i went passed him!!The speed was a lot but, i bet he wished he did'nt try it on!

Still would have one of the above if the pocket would let me!
Old 06-07-2004, 11:22 PM

So it seems that it comes down to driver ability more than anything else when you are away from the straight bits - in that case, the S seems even better value for my purposes
Old 06-08-2004, 12:31 AM

From your three cars I can only rally comment on the 911. The suspension is just so sorted, in my opionion, and the PSM system is the best TC system out there.

The biggest difference is in how soon the 911 can get the power down on the exits, the e-gas and variocam plus system (their VTEC) gives you bags of power in a smooth delivery from low down in the rev range.

It is a bit les raw than the S but I would agree that there is no car out there that compares to the S unless you are looking at the 911 / Boxters
Old 06-08-2004, 12:37 AM

I don't know about the NSX but a 911 is very capable car on all roads. However cars like the 911 or a 360 are a different beast. For example I would be happy to go down some B roads and have an enormous amount of fun in the S but with a 360 it just wouldn't happen. This is true of the SL55 too. It is big and wide and you can't use the power on roads like these in cars like these. The S is great in my books because it will always give you the wow factor no matter which roads you are on whereas the bigger cars are far better suited to open roads and fast sweeping bends. IMO only.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:43 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

It's the rawness of the S that makes one have to concentrate hard whilst driving it, which gives it its appeal.

There are cars that are definitely faster down a stretch of road, eg Carrera 4, but just ask Tifosi Red about the involvement factor!

I have not experienced a Noble, but, turbochargers apart, it may be a more exhilarating drive.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:48 AM

Originally posted by Nick Graves
It's the rawness of the S that makes one have to concentrate hard whilst driving it, which gives it its appeal.

There are cars that are definitely faster down a stretch of road, eg Carrera 4, but just ask Tifosi Red about the involvement factor!

I have not experienced a Noble, but, turbochargers apart, it may be a more exhilarating drive.
Especially as they are now lining up a 3 litre twin turbo convertible for

Quick Reply: 911/NSX/Noble - how much better than the S on twisties?