Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Worst oil Filter placement

Old 06-21-2009, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toyota Tundra Crew Max with the 5.7 motor. I would like to kick the engineer in the balls for this design. Cartridge type filter too, they make it a pain so you don't go the DIY route this equals more profit for the dealers.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 1995 Civic EX that had the filter right above the exhaust manifold as it went from 4 to 1 pipes. Idiots. So every time you change the oil, no matter what, your car will smoke like crazy for 10 minutes after you drive off.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by S2Krence,Jun 19 2009, 05:06 PM
I agree with the K-series statement above. My FA5 is pretty bad. the filter is located right next to the front passenger side wheel. you have to remove the plastic undertray and sort of maneuver your hand to get to the filter. Even after you remove the filter, you get oil all over the front suspension bits. It's kinda a pain. almost as if they 'want' you take your car to the dealership to have its oil changed...just to save the hassle.

My friend is a tech at a Honda dealership here, and he says a lot of the techs don't like doing oil changes on the new 06+ Si's.

Either way, I've been changing my oil now for quite some years and I find everyone has their own tricks of the trade when it comes to changing hard/difficult oil filters
x3. my 03 accord was a real pita and only got worse when i went FI due to the orientation of the downpipe (sat right in front of the filter and had to be removed at every oil change to change the filter)

also, the first gen mazda 6 with the 2.3L i4 is a real pita. uses a cartridge filter that is contained in a flimsy platic cartridge and requires the removal of this useless skid plate. just did it for the first time on my moms mazda 6 and it took me a good hour when i can do any other car in 30 minutes.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:44 AM

My friend's RSX-S was a pain. (K series, you had to wedge your arm between the motor and the firewall and pull out the filter like a magician. My MINI sucked too. It required a 36mm socket (yes, 36mm) to get the canister piece off and with the size of the socket, it was a pain. (http://bobo5.com/wp-content/uploads/...Directions.pdf scroll down to the 3rd page)

My dad's E46 325 is a breeze. Oil filter right on top in front of the motor. Love the s2k's oil change. Especially with the stock air box removed. Gives that extra little bit of room to grab the filter easier.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:11 AM

Best filter placement: smart fortwo

Look at rear of car

Approach lower right hand corner of car

Look underneath car

It's also the tiniest damn oil filter I've ever seen.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ That photo of the Smart oil filter placement makes it look like it's dangerously unprotected from being easily damaged backing into a parking block or something. Oil filters are pretty easy to crush and cut.

The worst I've owned was my '91 CRX, not because of difficulty, but because the oil from the filter drained out onto the driveshaft. If someone wasn't carefull and didn't wipe it down well afterwards, when the car was later driven the driveshaft would then spin that oil all over the engine bay including on hoses and such. Not good.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:00 PM

I have to agree on the Toyota filter orientation being one of the worst. Placement is great but it sure took one dumb bastard to decide to place it face down.

Someone talked about there being a lip on there to supposedly catch anything that drains out..I'm going to have to call on that one. That little lip couldn't hold a milk cap full of oil let alone a filter full. I changed it twice and said F' it after that, now the dealer can deal with the mess.

I think they did it this way on purpose to discurage owners from doing there own maintenance. Well, if that was the plan it worked for me
Old 06-22-2009, 05:18 PM

I read in some performance magazine, that Royal purple is releasing (or has released) a performance oil filter that they claim can go 12,000 miles before the filter needs to be changed. I dunno if I'd go the whole 12k, but i might do it every other oil change. Like I stated earlier in this thread, along with other k-series owners. the filter is just a struggle to get to.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:07 AM

I had a 4x4 Blazer that was way too easy. It had a factory relocation kit that put the filter in the drivers side fender well.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:30 PM

most modern bimmers. easy as cake.

Quick Reply: Worst oil Filter placement