Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Are you glad we will have less monster trucks

Old 05-03-2008, 12:45 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Are you glad we will have less monster trucks

The SUV / Truck market in the tank. I believe we saw some of this coming for a few years starting with the death of the Explorer..

I read where some dealers won't take a SUV trade-in because they can't sell them

Americans may be discovering cars like the Mini Cooper, Fit, Yaris, etc.. not to mention just normal cars like the Accord should be able to get 30-ish on the HW.

The US has had cars such as the CRX and Insight years and years but they never sold as well as trucks etc but now with $100 fill-up and every how people can't afford gas, I think the large PU-trucks and SUVs will fade away since MOST people don't need them. I know some people do but likely if given a chance a hatchback or god forbid station wagon or Minivan (would like to see some smaller minivans as well).

the other day I saw two excursions out of three cars in front of me. I mean the excursion is the heaviest truck on the market (or up there) and it's useful for some, but it's not essential. And I know hybrids can make a heavy truck more efficent but they're costly, I wonder if people would just face facts they don't need 5000+ lbs trucks for daily driving and look cars instead.

this was from 1/11/08 so you can imagine the Explorer is even more dead today.
Americans bought more Toyota Prius hybrid gas-electric hatchbacks last year than Ford Explorer sport-utility vehicles, the top-selling SUV for more than a decade.

The change of fortune, buried in U.S. vehicle-sales data for 2007 and unthinkable a few years ago, will find an echo at this year's Detroit auto show, which starts Sunday.

While Americans' love for powerful gas guzzlers remains strong, a slowing economy and high gasoline prices are forcing buyers to lower their sights.

Pressure on manufacturers to offer more-fuel-efficient vehicles increased last month with a law requiring them to improve vehicles' average fuel efficiency by 40% over the next 12 years.

While Prius sales soared 69% last year, demand for the Explorer was less than a third of its 2000 peak.

Many Americans are replacing truck-based SUVs with crossover vehicles, which are built like cars, thus offering a smoother ride and better fuel efficiency.

Toyota Motor began selling the Prius in North America in 2000, the same year Explorer sales reached a record 445,000 units for Ford Motor

"It's a combination of an ascending star and a falling star," says George Magliano, director of automotive industry analysis at consultant Global Insight.

An icon faces big challenges
The Explorer led the SUV charge in the 1990s to replace the minivan as the family car. Baby boomers craving space, a protective cocoon high above the ground and the power of a V-8 engine have driven about 6 million Explorers out of showrooms over the past 18 years.

But filling an Explorer fuel tank now costs $70 or more, up from $30 five years ago. The traditional SUV "is a dead market," Magliano says.
good news for car buyers considering the un-frendly combination if a car / truck get into a crash with high bumbers of traditional Trucks v cars.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:59 PM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I think you'll see some decline in some parts of the country. Some people just have to have a bigger vehicle.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:18 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

The Honda CR-V is also the best selling SUV in the market. Four years ago, it wasn't even close to the Explorer. Practicality and fuel economy are really starting to move up over image and old habits, it seems.

Used Civics are almost as expensive as new ones, as are Fits.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer wanted to give us $14,500 for my Brother's 2006 Ridgeline RTL with 38k on it. We sold it elsewhere. They said SUV's and Trucks are sitting on lots. This was 3months ago.
Old 05-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Banned

Yes, I'm glad.
Old 05-03-2008, 02:25 PM

I'm glad.....it makes soccer moms less dangerous.

40% increase in efficiency! by that time our cars will not only be dinosaurs they'll be gas guzzlers too!
Old 05-03-2008, 03:26 PM

Have you guys noticed that everyone has been starting to drive really slow now. This poses a problem for me b/c they werent driving fast before. Would it kill people to at least go the speed limit??
Old 05-03-2008, 03:48 PM
jah

i drive really really fast still, maybe make up for the slow land boats.

you drive a suv? just shows you hung with stupid too long.

we are the biggest oil consumer and there is a war where?... this is not a political post just where did the common sense go peeps?
Old 05-03-2008, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by jah,May 3 2008, 03:48 PM
you drive a suv? just shows you hung with stupid too long.
who are you talking to?
Old 05-03-2008, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Onehots2k,May 3 2008, 06:26 PM
Have you guys noticed that everyone has been starting to drive really slow now. This poses a problem for me b/c they werent driving fast before. Would it kill people to at least go the speed limit??
Is that what this is all about? 5mph below is standard now.

I'll say this much, fuel economy is right at the top of my needs for my next car. I pretty much won't settle for any less than 30mpg.

Quick Reply: Are you glad we will have less monster trucks