Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Z4: Test Driving Experience

Old 11-01-2002, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z4: Test Driving Experience

Topic says it all. First off, no pics I forgot my camera.

Car: 2003 BMW Z4 2.5i
Color: Maldives Blue Metallic
Time of day: Evening, 6:45-7PM

On Wednesday, my Dynamics professor was talking a bit about the Z4. He test drove the car on Monday and shared some of his thoughts on it. He's a big BMW fan so I wanted to see if his thoughts were biased in regards to the performance. I was at work Thursday afternoon, and I got this sudden urge to go check it out. I called the dealership and spoke briefly to a salesman about the car. He called me back a bit later and told me they have two Z4s that I can come by and check out.

The sun was already down when I got to the dealership. I saw the 2.5i sitting in front of the lot so I didn't bother looking for the salesman. The nose of the Z4 is as ugly in person as it is in photographs. The car's bodylines could use some changes but my overall impression of the side and rear view changed when I saw it in person. The creative use of side indicators behind the BMW logo on the side is a plus.

The salesman I spoke to earlier caught me by surprise as I was looking at the car. The door was already open and he let me check it out for a bit. Spoke a bit about some of the features and such. He said he was going to run back in to get to keys so I can drop the top. While I waited I took a seat in the drivers seat and closed the door. When I was sitting inside, I noticed that the roofline is much nicer than the S2000's softtop. The Z4 has a 3-layer softtop with the hardware hidden. In this particular car, the seats were fully powered as well as heated. The interior lighting is soft, and the gauges are a bit difficult to get reaccustomed to after driving the S. The dash seems a bit oddly shapped as it does not really feel as reachable to the driver as it is on the S. The usual array of BMW electronics is mounted on and below the dash and center console. The steering wheel is definately cheaper in person. The spokes seem out of place and the airbag/center of the steering wheel seems to buldge out too much. The interior seems to have a little more space than the S but I felt sort of short in the car. I could barely see over the hoodline. With the steering wheel adjusted, the guages still felt angled too high.

The salesman returned with the key and told me to put the key into the ON position. He stood outside and instructed me on how the top worked. WAY easier than the S. Just hold a button and the top automatically unlocks itself and folds back. The fact that it is a self-tonneau cover just added to my glee. As I soon learned, there is a light indicating if the top is complete folded or not. The salesman pointed out that the light was still lit indicating that I need to hold it a bit longer so the top can lock in the dropped position. SWEET. After taking mental notes on my brief evaluation of the interior, I popped the trunk only to find way more space than the S. I didn't really poke around the trunk alot, but I did notice that the battery was mounted back there.

It got a little closer to closing time and I didn't want to impose much longer so I was just going to leave. I was about to thank the salesman for letting me check out the Z4 when he insisted that I test drive her. As you can imagine.. . I handed him my license for him to go make a photocopy. As he was walking away he said I could go ahead and start her up. I inserted the key into the ignition (like a hot knife through butter) and started her. Let me say, the car was smooth. No clicks, rattles, shakes, whistles, hoots, or any other odd behavior. The idle was deep. The salesman returned with my license and his copy in hand. He starts to suggest some routes for me to take..... while standing OUTSIDE of the car! I soon realize that I will be able to test drive this car ALONE!. I've never been treated with that much courtesy and trust by a dealership. It made a big impression on me in regards to way of treating people.

I flipped on the Bi-Xenon HIDs and started to roll forward. He insisted that I take at least 10-20 minutes and really get a feel for the car. He also kindly asked me not to redline the car (which I respect). I rolled out of the dealership and gave her a thorough test. The 2.5i had decent acceleration as it's peak torque at a low 3500RPM. The motor feels strong and doesn't hesistate. Acceleration is a bit boring though. The clutch has no feel to it making it hard to really give it a push on the line. I turned on the DSC and did a mini-slalom of my own down an empty road. The motor is really too weak to get you into too much trouble. It doesn't rev really high so you don't find yourself spending a lot of time up top where things can bet a bit twitchy (we all know this). The shift gates feel rubbery and long. I wasn't sure if I was gear sometimes. The feedback from the steering wheel with the DSC off was just about as numb as you can get. For those who say the S2000's steering is numb because of the electric steering, try a Z4. The chassis reacts a bit slow and then becomes overexaggerated. I definately enjoyed the comfort during my drive. The heated seats were bliss and the car is just a pleasure to sit in. I didn't want to abuse the car, so I didn't really push any limits.

Overall, I wanted to just report on the experience. Even though I'm happier in the S2000, the experience I had at the BMW dealership (this particular one) completely surpassed the way the Honda dealership treated me. There's definately some $ behind the reasoning for that, but I still couldn't believe I got a test drive without the salesman riding along.

Pros:
-Creature comforts are nothing short of par when it comes to BMW.
-3 Layer self-tonneau cover softtop w/ fully automatic locking/unlocking
-Smooth engine

Cons:
-Price
-Numb steering/shifting.
-Ugly.

I encourage everyone to test drive a new Z4. It's definately a good reminder of what the S2000 has over other roadsters as well as still lacks.

r.
Old 11-01-2002, 07:49 PM

Great write up. I wish Honda dealers would learn from BMW dealerships.
Old 11-01-2002, 08:18 PM

Ditto, that was an excellent write up. You should be an automotive magazine editor you know! I'd be interested to see if the "M" edition of the Z4 addresses the issues with driving feel. And of course, I'm really impressed with the way that salesman treated you!!
Old 11-01-2002, 09:00 PM

About the way we're treated by Hondapeople--THAT has been my only disappointment with S2000 ownership so far. I was never rich enough to own exotic iron, but I have found even Chevy and Ford dealers to be respectful. Not so at the typical Honda dealer. I bought an Acura this year before the S, and the treatment there was much more dignified than with Honda. I wish our car had been badged "Acura". Oh, yes, when I was shopping for my roadster, a Z3 salesman and a Porsche salesman both let me take their cars out alone; at first I thought it was because I am an old goat.
Old 11-06-2002, 02:58 PM

I have driven one also a 3.0 auto. I really liked the car but 47k is to damn much for this car. It is approaching M3 or at least fully loaded 330Ci range. How much was the 2.5 you drove?
Old 11-07-2002, 08:22 PM

If the MZ4 had a price of.. say.. 37k decently loaded, I would seriously consider it.
Old 11-07-2002, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by sHaObEn (=.=)
If the MZ4 had a price of.. say.. 37k decently loaded, I would seriously consider it.
Yea...like that's gonna happen..
Old 11-07-2002, 10:20 PM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BMW and its dealerships are more geared towards accomodating "higher end" customers who demand more.

Honda dealerships are ill-equipped in dealing with higher end enthusiasts like ourselves.

Yeah I wish sometimes that the S2000 was an Acura. Better service, and we would get a sporty RSX or a nice TL as loaner when our car is being serviced instead of a Geo Metro or none at all.
Old 11-08-2002, 09:45 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SECRET AP1
[B] I soon realize that I will be able to test drive this car ALONE!.
Old 11-08-2002, 10:02 PM

Very nice write up. i believe the dealerships have been quick to pick up on our lack of support from the dealerships. I think one of their main objectives is for them to make us feel good about ourselves without trying to push a sale upon us. Hopefully Honda will also get the message. Sadly, many loyal customers are starting to look elsewhere.

Quick Reply: Z4: Test Driving Experience