Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Another Insurance Question

Old 07-07-2004, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Insurance Question

I've read a few posts saying that it's cheaper to insure a beater as a daily driver and your S2000 as a "second" or "pleasure" car than to just insure the S2000 by itself. However, this doesn't seem to be the case with my insurance company (Progressive). Whenever I get an online quote, it doesn't matter if I insure the S2000 by itself as a daily driver or as a second or third car. The rates do not change and are simply added on top of the other car's rates. It also doesn't matter much if I designate it as daily driver, commute, pleasure, business, etc.

I was wondering if you guys could recommend a few insurance companies that offer good rates for an S2000 insured as a 2nd or "pleasure" car? Also, are there any limitations to this? For example, if I decide to go for a spin one morning before work and I get into an accident, will the insurance deny my claim because it happened during commuting hours or something similar? Thanks in advance.

FYI, I'm on the market for a used S2K and I currently have a '92 Cadillac that I plan to keep as the daily driver only if it lowers my insurance.

EDIT: Wrong forum, sorry
Old 07-07-2004, 02:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd call Progressive & talk directly to someone there. Once you tell them that you plan only to use the S2k on weekends (or whatever you want to do), they may be able to work out a better price for you.

I've never had an online quote be as good as when I've spoken to someone on the phone.

If all else fails, start calling around. I think there are too many factors (age, location, marital status, driving record, etc.) to say which company would give the best rate. For me, Allstate was absolutely outrageous in their price, but others have found that Allstate gives them a good rate. Yeah, it sucks calling around, but in the end if you can save a few hundred $$$ or more, it's worth it!
Old 07-07-2004, 06:25 PM

I agree with JerseyGirl. Call your insurance company and speak to someone directly.

Insurance companies vary on their policies, but I do believe that some will deny a claim if you are in an accident commuting to or from work in a "pleasure" car.

In my case with my insurance company, (American Family) I get a discount for insuring a second car, but I drive my S2000 too much for it to be considered a "weekend" or "pleasure" car.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:25 AM

My experience is with Allstate: my insurance doubled with a second car - Pontiac Vibe. No discount on the S2000 even though ut was a secondary vehicle. I would love to know of companies that treat the S as a weekend car.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:48 AM

When I had my S2000's it was a weekend car and I put like 5K miles on it a year. I didnt get any kind of good discount. I was driving an 88 Civic DX as my beater and they charged me just as much for it as I could get with just my S2000. They know what they are doing

Heck, I had it for 2 years and payed as much in insurance on it then the car was worth.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:40 PM

Just to give you an idea about Progressive. I have a 99 TL and an 00 S2K. I pay about $1800/year for both cars with 500 ded, full coverage (I have loans on both cars) and slightly above state minimums on liability. The breakout is about $50 month for the TL and $100 for the s2000. I have the s2000 marked as a weekend car. Also, I have not had any tickets in the past 6 years, commute is 10 miles or so, cars are garaged, live in the burbs and I am 28.

For all the shopping I have done, I have found Progressive to be very reasonable. I plan on look at the company that does my Homeowners (Amica) when I come up for renewal because Amica pays annual dividends to their customers (if they are profitable of course )

Old 07-09-2004, 02:51 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Rates in calif are based on many factors, there are discounts for more than one car on the policy. Your best bet, if your state is simular to Calif, is to declare your mileage use as low as honestly possible on each car, that is a large factor, then there is years of licensed experience, zip code, limits and deductibles, safety features of the car, your driver record(tickets and accidents), etc...all these factors go into a rate. If you have a renters or homeowners policy with the same company as your auto company then you can get additional discounts along with a good payment or credit history.

All the info is proprietary to each company but these general guidelines are applicable. Keep in mind that companies cannot remain competative in a given market looking for a given customer if they are more than 10% apart, so most quotes for apples to apples should be the same.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:02 PM
Former Moderator

Received 139 Likes on 115 Posts

i had a civic and an s2000 insured and the rate between the s2k for pleasure, and civic for commuter was not that much different.
keep in mind, one thing that companies are using more and more is credit as a rating factor. So, if you have good credit, it will help your rate.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just be accurate in your assumptions you give to the insurer.

If you say the S is a pleasure car and you rack up 10,000 miles a year and have a claim, they have grounds to deny it. Not saying they will, but can. Insurance companies are not liable to pay you if you lie to them.

FYI, I pay $750/6months for my S. It is my only car. My GSR was
$650