Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Any S2000 Owners Who Also Owns VW GTI?

Old 03-09-2018, 07:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HawkeyeGeoff
If you're thinking GTi, just go ahead and go Mazdaspeed3. Faster, more raw, real LSD, and CHEAP. So insanely cheap.

I'm been on the DISI 2.3L platform for about 8 years now....had everything from stock 2010, little big turbo, built motor 600whp (2007 MS3), and now currently GTX3071 Mazdaspeed6. I have never had a walk home and maintenance has gotten super cheap on them.

If you want fun performance for daily driver = MS3/MS6 (MS6 only if you are willing to put in some time to make it right when you get it), more comfy / less raw DD = GTI.

Just my 2 cents.
I'll echo this. I have a stock MS3 and its been as reliable as both of my s2000's. If not moreso. I've never had any maint. other than scheduled.
2013 with 43k on it.

I had a 2008 R32 and been in a friends MK6 GTI many times. Sadly, the MS3 is more of a turbo'd econobox than the GTI is, GTI is nicer feeling if you want a nicer car. MS3 is hilarious to drive, better not take your hands off the wheel when flooring it, you'll torque steer right off the road.

But they dont make MS3's anymore. However theyre insanely cheap used. I plan to drive mine into the dirt.
The following users liked this post:
HawkeyeGeoff (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 07:41 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by suprmonky73
I'll echo this. I have a stock MS3 and its been as reliable as both of my s2000's. If not moreso. I've never had any maint. other than scheduled.
2013 with 43k on it.

I had a 2008 R32 and been in a friends MK6 GTI many times. Sadly, the MS3 is more of a turbo'd econobox than the GTI is, GTI is nicer feeling if you want a nicer car. MS3 is hilarious to drive, better not take your hands off the wheel when flooring it, you'll torque steer right off the road.

But they dont make MS3's anymore. However theyre insanely cheap used. I plan to drive mine into the dirt.
Yeah hence why i'm keeping my MS6....there's nothing out there like it especially when you consider I bought it for whooping 7k 3 years ago. LOL #longlivetheDISI
Old 03-09-2018, 11:41 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

had an '84, does that count?
Old 03-09-2018, 03:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2015 GTI (Autobahn, DSG, PP). Truly no negatives from me at this point. Only regular maintenance so far @ almost 30,000 miles. Fast enough when you want it to be, luxury car quiet coming from an S2000, good-looking interior (not Audi-level, but hard to top for the price). Wheels are kind of ugly, but you can't have everything (Golf R's are the exception). I have no experience with previous generations, but I've always heard that this MKVII generation was a big step forward in every category. Lot's of deals to be had on them as well.

Also, as far as sunroofs, I have no problem with mine. I suspect it's about as problematic as most other car's sunroof.
Old 03-11-2018, 04:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1nate7
I think he is making the point that the VAQ "front lock diff" isn’t a true LSD.
Oh OK. I think a better statement then is that it's not a mechanical LSD; but when it has hydraulically actuated clutch plates that are electronically controlled and can send 100% of power to either front wheels providing a torque vectoring effect, it is a very capable system regardless. Like a mechanical LSD, it works very well, even though VW may have tuned it somewhat conservatively for longevity. My only concern is how much will maintenance cost on these things. If this GTI turns out to be reliable, and the cost of maintaining the VAQ is not too high, I might keep it after the lease. Unless they bring the Golf R wagon to the US.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Vitt
Oh OK. I think a better statement then is that it's not a mechanical LSD; but when it has hydraulically actuated clutch plates that are electronically controlled and can send 100% of power to either front wheels providing a torque vectoring effect, it is a very capable system regardless. Like a mechanical LSD, it works very well, even though VW may have tuned it somewhat conservatively for longevity. My only concern is how much will maintenance cost on these things. If this GTI turns out to be reliable, and the cost of maintaining the VAQ is not too high, I might keep it after the lease. Unless they bring the Golf R wagon to the US.
That system will live a long, long life. I wouldn't worry about that at all.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:25 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

'17 Golf R here
Old 03-12-2018, 01:36 PM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Had a MK5 two door, DSG. Loved every moment with it... except I bought mine used and it was modded -- It had an exhaust which made the shifts sound delightfully fun. Think, 70% Fiat Abarth.
Had a sunroof, never had a problem with it -- only issue I had was a failed coil-pack.
I sat in a MK6 and MK7, which both look much better on the exterior, the MK5 has a better interior feel and look, IMO.

Although worth noting, virtually every system is ran thru the car's ECU.
Bulb goes out, the dash tells you... and a friend thought he could simply replace the bulb and be on his marry way. Nope, had to go to the dealer to get it reset. Granted, with VAGCOM you could do it yourself, but just be prepared.

Although, Focus ST might be worth checking out too -- or a Mini Cooper S?
Test drive them, each of them has their Pros/Cons.

MS3? lol.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You and I are basically the same. I have an 07 with 114,000 miles.

EDIT: Referring to Maximum6.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Driven
Had a MK5 two door, DSG. Loved every moment with it... except I bought mine used and it was modded -- It had an exhaust which made the shifts sound delightfully fun. Think, 70% Fiat Abarth.
Had a sunroof, never had a problem with it -- only issue I had was a failed coil-pack.
I sat in a MK6 and MK7, which both look much better on the exterior, the MK5 has a better interior feel and look, IMO.

Although worth noting, virtually every system is ran thru the car's ECU.
Bulb goes out, the dash tells you... and a friend thought he could simply replace the bulb and be on his marry way. Nope, had to go to the dealer to get it reset. Granted, with VAGCOM you could do it yourself, but just be prepared.

Although, Focus ST might be worth checking out too -- or a Mini Cooper S?
Test drive them, each of them has their Pros/Cons.

MS3? lol.
MK5? LOL British cars? LOL