Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

How do you not obsess over door dings?

Old 06-14-2016, 10:29 AM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts
Default How do you not obsess over door dings?

I can't help but get enraged when some douche canoe is so careless when getting in and out of his car that he dings my doors. I always park way out in the middle of nowhere and in the last spot on the end, and I park ALLLLL the way to the very edge of the spot, which should mean that anyone parked next to can swing their doors wide and miss me by a mile. Yet, still, someone will invariably find a way to park next to me and bang up my car.

Conversely, my buddy got a new Hellcat and when we went to lunch, he parked it right up front next to a big truck that was hanging halfway into his space, and he couldn't care less.

Do you guys care about door dings? If not, why not? If so, f@#k people, am I right?
Old 06-14-2016, 11:30 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

I think most of us care a lot about door dings. I do not obsess about where I park. The more I think you try to park away, the more Murphy's Law happens.

That being said, Paintless Dent Removal works wonders. If you know someone who ownw/works a car lot, they tend to get good rates per dent. I was paying $25 a dent on several cars over the years.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:40 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

You drive a jacked up Jeep wrangler with nerf bars on the side and don't give a f@#k who parks or how close...

besides that, like Moses said, you have to park in BFE... even though dicks will still park right next to you...
Old 06-14-2016, 12:06 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I think most of us care a lot about door dings. I do not obsess about where I park. The more I think you try to park away, the more Murphy's Law happens.

That being said, Paintless Dent Removal works wonders. If you know someone who ownw/works a car lot, they tend to get good rates per dent. I was paying $25 a dent on several cars over the years.
If PDR could solve all the problems, I literally wouldn't care. I'd just get the car PDRed every so often. But I've gotten numerous door dings that chipped off paint and a few that were so deep the freaking rusted. Not on my Cadillac yet. Not on my Vette (not sure what a door ding even looks like on a plastic car, LOL), but on every other car I've ever owned.

When I lived in an apartment, there was some guy with a riced out Hyundai who decided that my Miata was his mortal enemy, because of the code of the street racer, or some such nonsense. In any event, I would park in a spot that was a spot and a half wide near the dumpster. He would park literally inches away from my car and would always ding my car on purpose. I got into numerous arguments with him about it until one day he was out there with his friends and impressed upon him in dramatic fashion that his car can be damaged as well, and it sparked an uneasy truce.

TLDR: I hate people. Have I mentioned that yet? Haha.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:20 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My daily (2013 TL) got sideswiped by some ass-f@#k coming out of the McD's drive thru and taking the turn too sharply.

I'd just given up. No notes, no witnesses (even though it was a crowded street), just awesome paint scuffs on bumper, quarter, and OEM lip kit...
Old 06-14-2016, 01:19 PM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

All you can do is park defensively and PDR. Luckily at my apartment and at work (where my car is 97% of the time), I am able to park close enough to a pillar/wall (or nice co-workers) where it would be near impossible to hit me. After that I just cross my fingers and hope. It really sucks. If I'm ever sitting in my car when someone pulls up next to me to park, I always make sure to make eye contact with the people getting out so they know that I'm paying attention. I cringe every time I see that door swing open though!
Old 06-14-2016, 01:21 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

I've concluded that part of the package of living where I live is that I have to live with alot of other people, and it's because of this cost I like living where I live. Still, it does tick me off the inconsiderate nature of some people, especially when you got to a country like Japan where people park inches from each other and I still see countless old cars with zero door dings and bodywork. Then I went to Italy and France and my god the total opposite.
With all that said, Murphy's law is in total effect, my DD which I rotate every 3 years and put about 50k on each which I drive alot and park at the first spot I find convenient may have accumulated... 3 door dings? over 3 cars, yet my last S2 that I had I drove maybe 500 miles a year and alot more mindful where I park got 1. I would obsess more if it were a high dollar car with zero imperfections, but truth be told the bottom of the front bumper has rash from steep driveways and rock chips from driving on the highway, etc etc, so I chalk it up to wear. If it starts getting bad, I have PDR in my back pocket, alot of them especially during the slower season will strike a deal with you to do an entire car if you really have that many, that's what the dealers do when they prep a used car. Door dings don't bother me as much as paint damage because that require body work and I'm a proponent of original paint especially with metallics because, and this may totally be placebo, but I always find errors in the color match, and I like to have my cars, even if it is rough, to be able to pass through the eyes of painter without them pointing out quickly that it's been repainted.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:12 PM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts

I worry about it, but probably shouldn't. Life is too short. Just park as safe as possible and live life. Easier said than done...
Old 06-14-2016, 03:46 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

The S2000 has not been that big an issue because it is so narrow and I always make sure it is centered in the space. I am more worried about loser hater types. I know a couple guys that drive Bimmers that were recently keyed down the entire side of the car. Both are about 50 year old mild mannered guys parking them for work and some douche just says "Bimmer" and keys the whole damn thing.

I am sure that is true with any high buck makes or any nice car but seriously, this hatred of anybody that makes a couple bucks really needs to stop. Yes, we all know the "Occupy" mindset dipshits, but just because somebody makes a nice living does not make them the target of scorn. And some people who buy a nice car do it at great expense because they are just car guys and not some pretentious jerk with a huge bank account.

Tons of people have more cash than I do, never made me resent them or target them. If you don't like your financial situation, work harder or go cry about it to yourself. Taking out your frustration at your lack of success on someone else's property does nothing but make you an asshat.

I have driven nice cars into low income wallmart parking lots and nobody will mess with it because most are honest blue collar working people. But drive into a bohemian-unshowered-occupy wall street-Bernie Sanders loving-college know it all hippie anarchist area and you better have your insurance paid. You have, by the very nature of having something expensive, have stolen from the collective, and a price will be paid in metallic paint.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just park dingless (hug a curb or something)
I also have a dashcam it makes me feel a little safer. lol

Quick Reply: How do you not obsess over door dings?