Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Mini Cooper GP1

Old 07-08-2019, 10:31 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

I always dug those cars, but as per usual the issues with the cars always kept me away. But I love the styling and totally get the appeal, and I still entertain the idea every now and again because you can score them for next to nothing these days.

It just baffles me how the Japanese and American automakers can't consistently style cars. How did they design the new civic or Accord and patted each other on the back. I mean look at the Mini, so much charisma and presence.

Anyway, enjoy it man!
Old 07-08-2019, 11:47 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Cool! Enjoy the new car. It looks great.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Vadster
Thanks man

Originally Posted by xxyion
My friend has a Mini which was always fun to ride around in, and i got to ride in a few at my last Autocross event. Really fun car to be sure!
With a sticky tire they're really great at the AutoX. The GP1 was very competitive, but has since been classed out.

Originally Posted by Vadster
We love our MINI's.
What do you have? Do you still wave to other owner's?

Originally Posted by 9KRPM
First gen Mini's are a blast!

Originally Posted by 00S2K01S4
Nice GP. Looking at getting a mini jcw someday. Drove my friends jcw at the track and it was a blast.
JCWs are a lot of fun and have much better brakes than the regular S! Good luck

Originally Posted by Saki GT
The first gen with the SC were always the best to drive imo - before they became off-brand BMW 1s.

I remember looking at this car too - love the wheels but wasn't sold on the lack of rear seats.

As a used car buy though - looks like a great toy to have!
The SC are more reliable than the later N14's and with maintenance hold up decently. I think a lot of the issues stemmed around the 15k OCI's that BMW put on them when they were new, as the car my parents had since new had 5k oil changes, and has none of the timing chain tensioner or guide issues others have. I hear you on the no seats, but really, it would be cruel and unusual punishment to put anyone with legs in the back of a 1st gen. With the seats out, it can haul some serious stuff for its size, as it's basically a square.

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
I get flack a lot from friends on my fleet. Good to see I'm not the only one.
Yeah, I do too, but it's fun to do things a little different. My fiance has no idea why I have doubles of two cars; in my mind, they serve completely different purposes, but to her they just take up garage space.

Originally Posted by rob-2
They’re cute cars but I never got the appeal
of them.
Don't say the C word!!!

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
I always dug those cars, but as per usual the issues with the cars always kept me away. But I love the styling and totally get the appeal, and I still entertain the idea every now and again because you can score them for next to nothing these days.

It just baffles me how the Japanese and American automakers can't consistently style cars. How did they design the new civic or Accord and patted each other on the back. I mean look at the Mini, so much charisma and presence.

Anyway, enjoy it man!
Thanks! I hear you! The regular R53 have no resale, and can be picked up with good maintenance records for pennies, but the GP's have held their value really well, so if you did end up getting one, you could resell it for basically what you bought it for in a couple years.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:45 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

If only you could find a road course to fully enjoy them on....... oh well.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had two AP1s and IMO the s2000 is one of the best 2-seater roadsters ever made. Unfortunately they are built for smaller folks and became to uncomfortable for me to drive. Went to the MINI S as at 6-2 I have lots of room and even my 6-7 son has no issues. I have had a Porsche, two Corvettes, two Miatas along with the AP1s and the MINI albeit a "cute" car for most women, is by no means cute for many of us that have them. With the FWD, upon reaching the corner apex its throttle down with really no worry of the rearend coming out as the front wheels will "pull" you through. All one has to do is watch any IMSA type race when the track is wet to see how well a MINI handles. On the Tail of the Dragon many larger cars pull over and then try to keep up with the MINIs. You have a modded MINI that is pushing around 240 BHP with some suspension changes and you have one very sweet ride on the Dragon.

The 2nd generation turbo charged MINI had allot of issues with the Prince engine and as anything German, all models are very complex therefore requiring proper maintenance but I have not had any major issues with my 1st Gens that are supercharged.

I have never driven any car as hard in corners as with my MINI but the little flyin pig sure cannot compare with the lines of the s2ki and I do sometimes miss the 9k redline.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:31 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
If only you could find a road course to fully enjoy them on....... oh well.
Hahaha, I know, right? I will come to some more, I just hadn't been in a place where I could easily replace a motor if one popped, but after the wedding I will make some appearances! I live vicariously through Tammy's posts on IG and FB of all your awesome track battles!

Originally Posted by Mudslinger
I had two AP1s and IMO the s2000 is one of the best 2-seater roadsters ever made. Unfortunately they are built for smaller folks and became to uncomfortable for me to drive. Went to the MINI S as at 6-2 I have lots of room and even my 6-7 son has no issues. I have had a Porsche, two Corvettes, two Miatas along with the AP1s and the MINI albeit a "cute" car for most women, is by no means cute for many of us that have them. With the FWD, upon reaching the corner apex its throttle down with really no worry of the rearend coming out as the front wheels will "pull" you through. All one has to do is watch any IMSA type race when the track is wet to see how well a MINI handles. On the Tail of the Dragon many larger cars pull over and then try to keep up with the MINIs. You have a modded MINI that is pushing around 240 BHP with some suspension changes and you have one very sweet ride on the Dragon.

The 2nd generation turbo charged MINI had allot of issues with the Prince engine and as anything German, all models are very complex therefore requiring proper maintenance but I have not had any major issues with my 1st Gens that are supercharged.

I have never driven any car as hard in corners as with my MINI but the little flyin pig sure cannot compare with the lines of the s2ki and I do sometimes miss the 9k redline.
I hear you! The Mini has a similar visceral feel to the S2000, but it's so much easier to reach the limits of it (unless you put a bigger rear bar), and with some mods will keep up in the straights. There's no replacement for that amazing redline or roadster feel though.