Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

A new daily driver.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Between your 2 choices If I was going for practical I would go with the BMW. 10 year/100k mile drivetrain warranty and if my memory is still intact it also covers fluid changes and brake pads. Also RWD is a plus.

If your leaning more towards fun stick with the Civic SI.

Based on your selections am I correct in assuming that your "reasonable price tag" is around $35K?
Old 05-17-2010, 03:14 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris S,May 17 2010, 02:27 PM
Yes, but he posted minimum mileage, seating, etc. requirements, which you along w/ others just ignore.

As they say in the real world, listening is harder than talking.
Damn! So nitpicky...even with a joke.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still hard @ work, no wonder I'm cranky!
Old 05-17-2010, 04:37 PM

Mazdaspeed 3.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:30 PM

mazdaspeed3....?
Old 05-17-2010, 07:04 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8,May 17 2010, 04:21 PM
Transporting firearms?

Transporting my workpapers and my computer & computer equipment. Sometimes I have to leave some of it in the car at a client. Some of my clients are in less than good neighborhoods.

Same reason I want a built in Navi (aside from the fact that I think they work better). I need a navi to find my way to some of my new clients, and I like the convenience of having it, but where I go, if I leave a garmin in the car I'm asking for the car to be broken into, and I have enough stuff to carry around.

Same reason I want a sunroof/moonroof and not a convertible. Where I go the average life of a convertible is measured in minutes.

With all due respect, I think some of you are confusing fun with fast. My definition of fun is crisp handling, good braking, a good five or six speed manual transmission. The car should be quick and light and nimble. But, quick is not necessarily fast. The car won't ever see a racetrack. As a matter of fact, it'll probably never be driven north of 85 miles per hour. The car needs to be something that I enjoy driving and being a part of. As I mentioned in my first post, I love my current Si. My only problem with it is that there is a bit more cabin noise that I'd like. I may be the only one on this forum to ever say this, but given my choice, I'd rather have less exhaust noise not more. The reason for this thread is that I'm giving my current Si to my son within the year, when he gets his license, and before I buy another one, I want to know if there is any car out there that I should consider that satisfies my needs before I buy the Si.

Please keep the suggestions coming. Some of them are very good, some of them I've never even thought of.

Thanks.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by ralper,May 17 2010, 07:04 PM
Transporting my workpapers and my computer & computer equipment. Sometimes I have to leave some of it in the car at a client. Some of my clients are in less than good neighborhoods.

Same reason I want a built in Navi (aside from the fact that I think they work better). I need a navi to find my way to some of my new clients, and I like the convenience of having it, but where I go, if I leave a garmin in the car I asking for the car to be broken into, and I have enough stuff to carry around.

Same reason I want a sunroof/moonroof and not a convertible. Where I go the average life of a convertible is measured in minutes.

With all due respect, I think some of you are confusing fun with fast. My definition of fun is crisp handling, good braking, a good five or six speed manual transmission. The car should be quick and light and nimble. But, quick is not necessarily fast. The car won't ever see a racetrack. As a matter of fact, it'll probably never be driven north of 85 miles per hour. The car needs to be something that I enjoy driving and being a part of. As I mentioned in my first post, I love my current Si. My only problem with it is that there is a bit more cabin noise that I'd like. I may be the only one on this forum to ever say this, but given my choice, I'd rather have less exhaust noise not more. The reason for this thread is that I'm giving my current Si to my son within the year, when he gets his license, and before I buy another one, I want to know if there is any car out there that I should consider that satisfies my needs before I buy the Si.

Please keep the suggestions coming. Some of them are very good, some of them I've never even thought of.

Thanks.
mazdaspeed3? I think this fits your specifications.

I've been in one, and they're pretty nice, not real loud, handle superbly, good gas mileage. The only things I'm not sure of is the sunroof and the Navi......
Old 05-17-2010, 07:21 PM

I think an Evo X sounds good for you
Old 05-17-2010, 07:34 PM

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

You could always dynamat the hell out of your car, or the 2nd Si. I had an '07 Si, and yes it was loud. The intake is loud in that car (stock) and they did that on purpose. Also, on Honda's cheaper models, they chinze on the sound deadening. Not so with an Acura.

I'd pick up an Impreza WRX sedan with sunroof.