Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Taking a Dive in the Subaru World...

Old 03-06-2019, 04:04 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by superchargedk20
that's why it would be nice to see the actual subarus reported with the issue not just what's on the internet. I actually think the 2019 sti they put a stronger bottom end on it lol
I had the problem, it's not over blown online. The bottom end isn't the problem.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:43 AM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Doesn't every manufacturer have some kind of story like this to some extent ? I'm not defending Subaru as no owner should be stiffed by a vehicle manufacturer for poor engine designs.

Honda had a transmission debacle, and I had friends who got screwed royally on their very expensive Odyssey minivan. I'm predicting that Honda's first generation of DIT engines will have much shorter lives than their older engine designs. I just sold my 2016 Civic which had extremely bad fuel dilution issues which Honda only acknowledged recently. My engine was producing oil rather than consuming it, lol. Well not really but oil levels increased regularly and quickly, to the point that it would go over the high level mark well before the end of the oil change interval. I was having to consider draining oil to keep it below H. Honda performed a TSB on it but then I got rid of it like a hot potato. The oil sumps in some engines had so much water in them that they would freeze in winter conditions and owners would have zero oil pressure on start up. The engine oil on my Civic would go black as night very quickly after an oil change. Honda gave an excuse that the fuel dilution issues were affecting vehicle owners who drove in cold temp conditions and shorter driving cycles - ah Hello , that covers many millions of vehicle owners, and this seems like a very important detail that some engineer should have tested. I mean even the worst auto manufacturers out there will send their vehicles to the arctic for cold weather testing, and doesn't the majority of North Americans drive short distance driving cycles stuck in traffic most of their lives ? Honda extended the powertrain warranty to 6 years or something like that, but lord help the owners after 6 years, I just don't think they are going to last like the good ol days. Very glad my HR-V is not a DIT motor.

I just got through my break-in period on my Subaru WRX, which is quite lengthy at 1000 miles. No noticeable oil consumption and the oil is golden clean and clear. Looks good to me.
congrats man. You def got yourself a good priced car. I dont think theres much on the market that can compare to the wrx price wise.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:13 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Originally Posted by superchargedk20
congrats man. You def got yourself a good priced car. I dont think theres much on the market that can compare to the wrx price wise.
Thanks I agree, you get a lot of bang for the buck, not much to complain about from my end thus far, I am enjoying it quite a bit, as long as it remains reliable. Thanks for the replies .
Old 03-14-2019, 09:22 AM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Prior to my initial purchase I thought the fuel economy numbers weren't so great, particularly with the CVT tranny which I got. But I read that the real world numbers reported from owners were better than advertised. Having put on about 2000 kms I'm finding the fuel economy to be quite decent, and better than advertised, even with testing methods done at 60 mph and my driving at 70 mph. Straight highway driving is about as good or better than my Honda HR-V AWD with it's 1.8 L NA motor. City driving is decent as well if you control your use of boost, much like other turbo motors I've owned. So far so good.

I got my first wave today from an older WRX hatch owner, that was cool.