Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Thinking about buying a 2010 Acura TSX

Old 12-21-2012, 08:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Thinking about buying a 2010 Acura TSX

I'm helping out a cousin buy a car and we came across this awesome 2010 acura tsx that was a demo car for the dealer. It is also a CPO vehicle at about 22k miles. Does anyone here have one of these cars? If so how does it run? Any known issues we should be aware of? Would a dealer demo car be a bad car to buy? We have yet to test drive it because we were pressed for time but we went through the whole car and it was love at first sight. We were also looking at VW passats but I know that German cars are a PITA to maintain, especially once the warranty expires.
Thanks in advance!
Old 12-21-2012, 09:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

According to the previous owner, and carfax, my s2000 was a dealer car. Not sure what you mean by "demo car" but basically my s2000 was transported to a few different Honda dealerships and put on the showroom floor when the 06 s2000 models came out. I don't really consider this bad at all, maybe even a bit of a bragging right haha. I currently have 61k on the car and there has not been a single issue with it so far. Again, my definition of demo car could be wrong.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

personally i don't like buying demo or dealer loaner cars. when i am shopping for a car, i usually take test drive and i do quite a few WOT runs with it. some times even the sales person does that for me with literally brand new car. also same thing goes to loaners car. when i get loaners car i tend to mess around with it. but then you are buying a Acura with CPO so it might be worth a shot.

why does majority of the people think German cars are PITA to maintain? i had few German cars and I currently own Audi and if you take care of it well it will last a long time just like Japanese cars. It does cost more than Japanese cars but I prefer German cars. my current Audi has 53k purchased with CPO and i had no major issues. Just do some homework and stay away from cars with major problems and you will be fine. again maintain well from the beginning and it will last you a long time. i have no problems with my car reaching 100k without any major problems yet, my sister in law's MB C230 Kompressor blew head gasket right around 100k due to negligence. like she didn't care the car was flashing CEL.

I read a report on cars getting recalled in 2012, Toyota was #1 and Honda was #2. and i think it's got something to do with Honda being assembled in America. My friend is a Honda Tech and he is seeing a lot more weird problems that Honda never had before and most of them are assembled in America.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by madkimchi
personally i don't like buying demo or dealer loaner cars. when i am shopping for a car, i usually take test drive and i do quite a few WOT runs with it. some times even the sales person does that for me with literally brand new car. also same thing goes to loaners car. when i get loaners car i tend to mess around with it. but then you are buying a Acura with CPO so it might be worth a shot.

why does majority of the people think German cars are PITA to maintain? i had few German cars and I currently own Audi and if you take care of it well it will last a long time just like Japanese cars. It does cost more than Japanese cars but I prefer German cars. my current Audi has 53k purchased with CPO and i had no major issues. Just do some homework and stay away from cars with major problems and you will be fine. again maintain well from the beginning and it will last you a long time. i have no problems with my car reaching 100k without any major problems yet, my sister in law's MB C230 Kompressor blew head gasket right around 100k due to negligence. like she didn't care the car was flashing CEL.

I read a report on cars getting recalled in 2012, Toyota was #1 and Honda was #2. and i think it's got something to do with Honda being assembled in America. My friend is a Honda Tech and he is seeing a lot more weird problems that Honda never had before and most of them are assembled in America.
I guess I don't really have a demo car then, by that definition. Mine literally sat on the showroom floor for the first year of it's life.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:21 PM

I think you'll like the TSX, I had a TL and a buddy had a TSX at the same time, The TSX was just as nice, just a little different. As far as the demo car, low miles wouldn't bother me at all. My TL was very, very reliable. Nothing broke from 2006 to 2011.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by bkowa092
I guess I don't really have a demo car then, by that definition. Mine literally sat on the showroom floor for the first year of it's life.
kinda like a left over model from previous year? yea i would rather pick up left over car then a demo car.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by madkimchi

the only reason why I believe they are difficult to maintain is because a couple family member own German cars. Two stand out the most; my cousins 2001 a4 and aunts E class. Both take their cars to the dealer for service and the audi ended up having to get the whole engine re done and the e class needing a new transmission. I don't know the cause of.the problems but those 2 were the most Significant ones that stood out. I'm not against German cars personally but my cousin who is making the purchase wants a car that is reliable and easy (easier) to maintain.
As for the demo car... I'm concerned if the car was beat on while it was in.service... Then again it does have the standard factory warranty still active plus its a CPO which also comes with the CPO warranty. Once we test drive it we will know I guess.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:07 AM

I'm with you on German cars. I know far too many people who owned them and had issues. They just aren't worth the headache or hassle to me.

About the car being a demo car, just go check it out and test drive it. If it was beat to the point that something is wrong, you will know it. If you buy it and find something else down the road, you always have the warranty to rely on.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:32 AM

I've had experience with both demo vehicles, and a 2009 TSX.

In my case, the TSX I purchased was new. It was a 6sp-tech vehicle. Other than small nit-picky things that only I would notice i'd had covered under warranty - there were 0 issues mechanically. The only blanket issue I know of these vehicles were germane to the brakes. During my 2 years of ownership, I'd received several letters informing me of a class action suit for premature wear of the brakes. While I did notice mine wearing, and ultimately needing replaced around 30K miles - the replacement cost was minimal; around $250.

All in all - it was a great car. Comfortable, quiet, and good looking with the A-Spec kit as I'd had.

Specific to the demo vehicles I've had - also no problems to report. Generally a longer warranty - and maintained properly.

Good luck with the purchase!
Old 12-25-2012, 06:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dv55xc
I'm helping out a cousin buy a car and we came across this awesome 2010 acura tsx that was a demo car for the dealer. It is also a CPO vehicle at about 22k miles. Does anyone here have one of these cars? If so how does it run? Any known issues we should be aware of? Would a dealer demo car be a bad car to buy? We have yet to test drive it because we were pressed for time but we went through the whole car and it was love at first sight. We were also looking at VW passats but I know that German cars are a PITA to maintain, especially once the warranty expires.
Thanks in advance!
We bought a 2010 TSX tech V6 new. Had over 2 years, 18k and no issues at all. I would only recommend the V6 as the I4 is a bit underpowered for such a large car.