Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Boxster

Old 06-11-2013, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to say that PASM with 19" wheels is a no brainer. Makes the ride so much more comfortable.
If you then want to track it, in fixed mode its stiffer than the standard car.

As far as modding one of these with a turbo or SC then be prepared to not have any warranty from Porsche for any part of the car.
Other than for straight line acceleration there would be no benefit as these cars are incredibly planted in the corners.

Yes they feel numb compared to the rawness of an S2000 but you can go incredibly fast and yet not realise you are going fast.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:29 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by san2000
Nick

GT86 is a little under-powered isn't it?

Hope the new S will have a bit more under the bonnet.
The 86 is great fun to drive - it oversteers everywhere if you provoke it (even when stationary) and it's actually OK. It has way-better torque in traffic than the S2000, but that old Subaru tractor engine lacks the magic of the F20c on-cam. We replaced the old Civic with one! It's a sort of cross between an S2000 and a Prelude, best I can summarise it.

The rumour is the new S2000 was fully-developed; it was in fact an S3000 using 6/10 of the big Acura GT5000 lump.

They're now trying to squeeze-in the 300BHP Civic Type-R turbo engine (blechh! at least the 86 is NA!) and apparently are looking to re-style it like the S800 because of the success of the retro-styled (and rather cute!) N-One in Japan. And the S800's 50th birthday.

Not convinced about that retro-thing personally. Mind you, it's not stopped Porsche like forever...
Old 06-11-2013, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by s2k4tony
The 987 is stunning. Hate it when people say, " the only reason you buy a boxster is because.....you can't afford a 911". That may have been the case for the bloatier 986,the 987 is a true proper handling sports car in its own right. Therefore deserves much more respect than it gets from the plonkers on Top Queer. It's like saying... You only buy an s2000 because you can't afford an NSX. Poppycock!
Maybe the Porker does purposely look to be clinical, to get Audi man to perhaps complete his styling. It fits in with middle class and is more complete than any of the BMW roadsters (just my opinion) for today's road. £13-£15k used with low miles is not a lot of money for a very, very good Porsche product. You'd have to be mad not to own one at one point.
I'm really taken in with the 987...... It'd certainly make me look richer than I am. (Oh.. Hang on.. That's because I can't afford a 911... Doh!)

I'm more inverted; it seems a shame to ruin a perfectly good boxman, merely because of the requirement for a couple of almost useless back seats! And to pay far more for a worse car is short-sighted.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Starlight
I would like to say that PASM with 19" wheels is a no brainer. Makes the ride so much more comfortable.
If you then want to track it, in fixed mode its stiffer than the standard car.
Looking at a car with the Sports Chrono package. Any experience with it?
Old 06-16-2013, 10:17 AM

Not driven a Boxster or Cayman with it, the 911 C2 I drove recently had it but that was with a PDK gear box.
Generally more aggressive and sharper throttle response.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:38 AM

Received 637 Likes on 554 Posts

My M3 has a sharper throttle option. It's bloody horrific and I never use it. Maybe for track but on the road the throttle feels like a switch.

I like the heavy steering option though. Sucker for that.

Driven any yet?
Old 06-16-2013, 10:44 AM

It does something to the throttle response & I think increases the rev limit and if it's a PDK it changes the map in that too.

So if you like hooning hard, it's another expensive tick box you've gotta have along with the PASM. Porsche know how to buttfuck enthusiasts.

If you are a poseur, you get one without those things.

I think that's it, basically.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
My M3 has a sharper throttle option. It's bloody horrific and I never use it. Maybe for track but on the road the throttle feels like a switch.

I like the heavy steering option though. Sucker for that.

Driven any yet?
Drove the 'all bells and whistles' 2.7 last week.
Doing a 2.7 and S back to back tomorrow. If all goes well, and the discount is sufficient, I will probably go for a stock S they have sent details of.
It has SC, but no PASM. I think I can live with that, although I probably wouldn't have gone for SC on a new build myself.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:52 AM

I understand that avoiding stupidly large-diameter & thus heavy wheels also obviates the need for trick damping to keep them near the ground.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:44 AM

Drove a Boxster S and a Cayman 2.7.
More than enough power in the 2.7, but with the extras in the S, the (hopefully) slightly better residuals, a £5k discount off list, and the feeling of stupid amounts of power - the S won it.

Hopefully pick it up on Friday.

Bye bye licence.....

Quick Reply: Boxster