Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Car suggestions? - 4WD Saloon/4WD diesel car

Old 08-04-2015, 02:43 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Car suggestions? - 4WD Saloon/4WD diesel car

I've got my fabia which is a great little car quick car, its been returning 53MPG @ just over 80MPH on the motorway! it is however modified to around 230BHP so turbo spools later etc and its got aftermarket suspension etc.

One problem I've got a new job so I'll be doing a lot more miles and my foot begin to hurt when driving it , the cruise control elevates it but I'm wanting something ultra comfortable, diesel and 4WD must be relatively quick and return moderate MPG.

Anyone any ideas?

I've got about 8k to spend.

I was looking at v6 tdi phaetons but looking at reviews they dont seem to be that good and seem to be absolutely massive!

Cheers
Old 08-04-2015, 02:50 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

If you can tolerate the trim squeaks in cold weather, get a Leg End. You'll get a minter for buttons (enough not have to worry about pumping cheapskate cancer-liquid into it) and the handling is utterly fantastic in manual mode. Seats/ergonomics are leagues ahead of that VAG-shite, despite the design being a decade old.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:52 AM

Interesting any links?

Road tax on Phaeton £495 ouuch

P.S I'm getting old ha.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:54 AM

It's about that for a Leg End too. I pay no attention...

You'll have to search nationwide for a good one - they're getting into safe hands, like all the classic Hondas before Honda became GM.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BMW X Drives will be too new at the moment so what about an Audi A4 saloon or A3 hatch with Quattro? 2.0TDI. They offer the 2.0tdi in both 140bhp or 170bhp versions. My sister has the 140bhp and it sounds horrible! lol The 170 seems much smoother. There is also the Mazda 6 MPS saloon which is 4wd and has 260bhp but its a 2.3T petrol so not sure if it will be suitable if you are doing lots of miles.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:12 AM

Yes TBH i really want a 435d xdrive but the facelift is coming out soon and they will rocket down, plus I'm not quite flush at the moment.

Interesting , i cant really put my finger on but i dont like the A3's.

Cheers
Old 08-04-2015, 03:37 AM

All AWD cars without torque vectoring are a bit boring to drive.

There is a rumour Audi deleted their unit from the S5 because it made it too entertaining and there was no longer any reason to drive it like a jerk everywhere.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:54 PM

Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts

Have a look at the A5 3.0tdi quattro. It's a decent drive, plenty of poke and tuneable if you want to extract more torques. What's also interesting is the derv unit is pretty reliable on these. 100K milers aren't an issue with history. I quite like em.

Otherwise 3litre 330d E90/E91 are the dogs doodars on the motorway. Approaching 400lbft helps with those sneaky overtakes, I found that they actually do need remapping to curb that slight laggy power delivery. But.. relaxing, junior executive express it is.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:14 PM

Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
If you can tolerate the trim squeaks in cold weather, get a Leg End. You'll get a minter for buttons (enough not have to worry about pumping cheapskate cancer-liquid into it) and the handling is utterly fantastic in manual mode. Seats/ergonomics are leagues ahead of that VAG-shite, despite the design being a decade old.
Boot smaller than Accord and an odd shape, cramped rear with low roofline, bland looks, short wheelbase for its long body. It's certainly not a winner in its sector, good at some things, not great at being an exec winner though. But great handling as expected. At most a 3/5 car but to me a leg end represents just value for money. So does a Hyundai Coupe, but I don't particularly ever want one.
As for Vag seating, have you sat in one lately? The hatches are spot on. Interior on the Gulf is almost flawless in comparison to the last model which was too like the mk5. Now it's perhaps Audi-esque clinical. Perhaps that's a bad thing and steals it from gaining character, who knows.
I don't mind a DC2 interior, you're not arsed about it. A comfort car needs to cosset. And be appealing to look at. Honda were a decade behind on that interior in the ledge.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:12 PM

Received 626 Likes on 547 Posts

Get a diesel Jag?
BM and Audi have harsh rides these days, you had an e90 330D already didnt you?

I would get an auto too and def a diseasel for miles, the newer green turbo petrols are equally hateful

The Nissan Qasqhooow or however its spelt is 4wd, comfy and diesel but likely a dog to drive

Quick Reply: Car suggestions? - 4WD Saloon/4WD diesel car