Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Company Car decisions

Old 08-25-2010, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't quite understand what the policy is.

Are they paying you, on the understanding you go out and sort out some sort of car

(because they say the car can't be more than 3 years old / kit car etc)

Or are they getting you a company car, and won't go above the equivalent of £500-£600 per month?

If it's the former I can't quite see how they are putting a CO2 limit on you.
If it's the latter, then the 3 years old rule makes no sense.

If they are giving you £X per month in your salary to go and get a car YOU WILL NOT BE HAMMERED FOR TAX BECAUSE THAT IS NOT CLASSED AS A COMPANY CAR.

The reason more and more companies opt out of giving you a company car is because it's so expensive for you - and an admin headache for them. All that happens is you are paid more money and you go and spend it as you see fit. This is where the 3 year old rule comes in.

I get a car allowance as part of my salary and I run an eight year old Alfa. So not all companies even have that rule.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:37 AM

Gareth,

Its not a company car, its an allowance, but it comes with stipulations as listed.

so, if you want the allowance, you have to submit the details of the car you have sourced to HR, who then approve the allowance to be paid.

I'm coming from a company with a very relaxed Car policy, they give you the money and let you do what you want, the new place is quite strict on what you can have.

The budget is my budget, not the limit from the allowance

Cheers for the ideas guys, going to have a look at some 335d's later today to see if I can get on with Auto and Diesel.....
Old 08-25-2010, 02:21 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ultrasound,Aug 24 2010, 10:06 PM
Hi we have these search criteria on my website, apologies for the shameless plug but it may be just what you need.

Not sure whether you would be leasing under personal rather than business contract hire given your setup but you can compare them both...

http://www.helpfindmea.co.uk/cars/lease-ca...ice&direction=0
Good webshite!

Amazed by the variance - there seemed to be the same bloody Accord from £313 to £368!

Same price as a Clubfoot
Old 08-25-2010, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by foolycooly,Aug 25 2010, 09:37 AM
Gareth,

Its not a company car, its an allowance, but it comes with stipulations as listed.

so, if you want the allowance, you have to submit the details of the car you have sourced to HR, who then approve the allowance to be paid.

I'm coming from a company with a very relaxed Car policy, they give you the money and let you do what you want, the new place is quite strict on what you can have.

The budget is my budget, not the limit from the allowance

Cheers for the ideas guys, going to have a look at some 335d's later today to see if I can get on with Auto and Diesel.....
Thanks for clarifying.

So there's a limit (CO2) that you have to stick to as a rule from the company, not the govt?

It seemed like a lot of people were advising you to get a diesel simply because of the tax on co. cars. My point in bold (not aimed at you BTW) was that you won't be hammered for tax even if you did get a petrol car, because it's not a company car.

That still stands.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Graves,Aug 25 2010, 02:21 AM
Good webshite!

Amazed by the variance - there seemed to be the same bloody Accord from £313 to £368!

Same price as a Clubfoot
Nick
Thanks, yeh some brokers get better discounts at certain manufacturers than others so usually get quite a wide gap in cheapest to most expensive.

foolycooly
it sounds like in your situation you will be looking at a personal contract if you go down the leasing route since it will be purchased under your name. Tax wise you will obvisouly still pay the additional PAYE tax on the extra wages you will be receiving and on the car itself you will pay VAT as a personal customer.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:08 AM

Ultrasound, I tried your website to find an A5 Quattro but it didn't come up with anything. Any ideas why?
Old 08-25-2010, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Penelope Ptistop,Aug 25 2010, 06:08 PM
Ultrasound, I tried your website to find an A5 Quattro but it didn't come up with anything. Any ideas why?
Hi did you look in lease cars? There are some A5 quattro deals:

http://www.helpfindmea.co.uk/cars/lease-ca...ice&direction=0

There are less 'new car' deals on the site at the moment as we are predominantly pushing the leasing section.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:13 PM

Thank you, all is working well now!
Old 08-26-2010, 02:58 AM

What happens if you do not take the money or the company car?
Can you still use your car and claim the £0.40 per mile for the first (?) 4000 miles then the reduced rate of (query?) £0.20 per mile thereafter?

If so then perhaps not worth changing the car unless insuring for business miles is impossible or company will not pay the difference.

Worth crunching the numbers, also if you are say travelling into London then wouldn't you do that on the train so claim back the actual cost anyway?
Old 09-17-2010, 10:16 AM

Well, just took delivery of my new car

Audi A5 3.0 TDI Quattro on a 57 plate.

Took a few 330's, 335's, and 535's out but there was something about that I couldn't put my finger on that just turned me off them, and I really do enjoy the A5, very nice cabin, good ride, and certainly pulls (almost as well as the BMW)

Audi guys have gone out of their way to help me, and I've been really impressed with them, drooling over a V10 R8 in the showroom was nice as well....